Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Why do you hunt?

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
Someone asked me this once...here was my response. Thought it might be cool to hear what your response was to that question TOO...

1. Time in the woods was sacred for my brothers and I growing up. It was "man time" and we could only go a few times a year with our uncle...so every time mattered a great deal. It has sentimental value.

2. I see God in creation better and more vividly than anywhere else in my life. He meets me in the trees and I spend time just praying and talking with him in the quiet of the woods.

3. The time with my brothers is irreplaceable. No other time during the year do we get time together without anyone else around.

4. I love to watch nature when it doesn't know I'm there. I like to learn about all the animals and how they survive... I see the amazing way God wove creation together when I watch their instincts. Nothing more fun than watching deer do what they do. So few people actually get to see it.

5. I love deer. Everything about them. The grace and beauty. The speed and power. The way they blend into their environment. The way they seem to be "smarter" than I am.

6. The hunt. I love watching deer knowing they have no idea I am watching them. I watch many of them and shoot very few. I think there is something primal about taking one. There has to be. The way your blood pressure rises and your heart beats fast when you know you are going to take an animal has to go way back in our make-up.

7. I actually eat all the deer I kill. I won't kill it if I won't eat it. I am (believe it or not) sad for a minute after each deer I kill. Thankful to God for the food, but sad to have sacrificed a life of an animal for it.

8. I believe God gave us animals for our use.

9. The thrill is in the hunt. I have had many more thrilling hunts than kills. A close encounter with a massive animal is the coolest thing I could hope for.

camofry

*Supporting Member*
Someone asked me this once...here was my response. Thought it might be cool to hear what your response was to that question TOO...

1. Time in the woods was sacred for my brothers and I growing up. It was "man time" and we could only go a few times a year with our uncle...so every time mattered a great deal. It has sentimental value.

2. I see God in creation better and more vividly than anywhere else in my life. He meets me in the trees and I spend time just praying and talking with him in the quiet of the woods.

3. The time with my brothers is irreplaceable. No other time during the year do we get time together without anyone else around.

4. I love to watch nature when it doesn't know I'm there. I like to learn about all the animals and how they survive... I see the amazing way God wove creation together when I watch their instincts. Nothing more fun than watching deer do what they do. So few people actually get to see it.

5. I love deer. Everything about them. The grace and beauty. The speed and power. The way they blend into their environment. The way they seem to be "smarter" than I am.

6. The hunt. I love watching deer knowing they have no idea I am watching them. I watch many of them and shoot very few. I think there is something primal about taking one. There has to be. The way your blood pressure rises and your heart beats fast when you know you are going to take an animal has to go way back in our make-up.

7. I actually eat all the deer I kill. I won't kill it if I won't eat it. I am (believe it or not) sad for a minute after each deer I kill. Thankful to God for the food, but sad to have sacrificed a life of an animal for it.

9. The thrill is in the hunt. I have had many more thrilling hunts than kills. A close encounter with a massive animal is the coolest thing I could hope for.

Well said. All of the above.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I hunt to put meat in the freezer.

beyond that, I enjoy being in the woods. Its an escape from the noise that daily life consists of. Keeps me grounded, keeps me humble.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro

5. I love deer. Everything about them. The grace and beauty. The speed and power. The way they blend into their environment. The way they seem to be "smarter" than I am. 6. The hunt. I love watching deer knowing they have no idea I am watching them. I watch many of them and shoot very few. I think there is something primal about taking one. There has to be. The way your blood pressure rises and your heart beats fast when you know you are going to take an animal has to go way back in our make-up.

You forgot - I love deer -the way they taste.:smiley_cooking:

One more reason to hunt - just to piss of the PETA crowd.

Seriously, that was an excellent post. Agreed on all points. <insert thumbs up smiley here>

matt hougan

Dayton area
Anyone ever consider they were pre-programmed to hunt? Before Krogers men had to hunt to feed thier families. Ever think there is still that desire/need to provide deep within your soul. What about the adventure. I'm Norwegian descent. I love a good adventure. I think hunting provides a source of adventure from our IT world. For me it's a rejection of todays societal attempts at de-masculination of American men. I work hard, love my wife and kids, I love God, and I love getting my hands dirty. Doesnt matter to me if my hands are muddy or bloody as long as it has positive effects for my family. I drink my coffee black, eat my steaks rare, and I truely enjoy a fine CAO cigar and a IPA.

My daughter apparently doesn't share my taste for black coffee

Last edited:

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
#1 I just love to be in nature. Everything to do with nature. It doesn't matter to me if it is sitting at the lake, going hiking through the forest or primitive camping with nothing more than a tent and what I can fit in my pack, but hunting seems to be the best way to connect with nature.

#2 It also is a way for to have some time to worship my creator and foster the relationship that we have.

#3 I enjoy sharing this time with my family also. It has been a great way for my son and I to bond. It has also been great introducing the wife to the sport of hunting. The next step is to get the daughter out this season for her first sit.

#4 I love to cook and eat venison. I am always looking for new recipes and different ways of preparing it.

#5 It is a great hobby. As many ways as there is to occupy time these days hunting is by far the best extra curricular activity that I can think of.

#6 I love it because you are never "there". Whatever goals you do set and accomplish there is always more to see, hear, and do, new horizons to explore, and new things to learn.

I am sure there is more, but this is all I can think of right now.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Good stuff guys.
For me it's a meat thing, + enjoying nature, the quiet time, praying, the rush of seeing a deer in nature, and soon to share these things with my boys.

I hunt because life would not be the same if I didn't. Call it primal or just instinct, but it is somthing I feel I must do to cleanse the mind and soul.

My physical condition never allowed me to play sports such as baseball or football. But, hunting was somthing that at an early age, despite my physical challenges, I just had to do. It was somthing that I could be good at, even better at than my four brothers were.

Hunting challenges me and makes me be all I can be. Hunting makes all my other shortcomings miniscule.

Watching nature while on stand is my best stress reliever. I can immerse myself in the moment and all my worries and cares are put aside.

I also have many emotions when I kill any animal. But, I believe, as Dan stated, God made the animals for our use.

Hunting for me is just what I am supposed to do. Seems I always have and I feel I always will.

swamp_donkey819

#1 its my own way of bringing food to the table

#2 i enjoy bein in the woods and always have since i was a kid

#3 being away from everything and just relaxing enjoying the outdoors

#4 i love the challenge of hunting

#5 the animals just taste better then processed meat

#6 its a good thing to pass onto family members like it was passed on to me and will be passed to my son

1. i love the outdoors and nature. I believe good hunters and trappers are the true conservationists. Much as like a man name Hugh Glass believed in the mid 1800's.
2. I like spending time with family and good friends. Also i appracaite the bond we all share as hunters (our breed of hunters). I draw a big line between those that see hunting as simply a sport and a way to put meat on the table and those that get the bigger picture.
3. I like the feeling of being able to provide for my own meal. I made my own bow, arrows, quiver, armguard, hunting knife and finger glove hopefuly this winter ill take a deer with that gear.

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
some really great answers here guys, I hunt because I enjoy being outdoors, I enjoy the thrill of pitting my skills against one of gods creatures and when in their element I am the underdog, I also enjoy the "alone" time, a time to just sit and soak up all of natures sights and sounds , to get away from all of modern lifes hustle and bustle, and it may sound corny but it is time that I can spend with my father, hunting was a big part of my fathers life and he really enjoyed spending time with me in the woods, now that he has passed away I feel that he is there with me in the woods and he is enjoying the hunting through me, and venison taste great TOO!!!