Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Corn

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Corn has dropped over a $1 a bushel in the last couple of weeks. Maybe not at retail stores but if you buy it right from a farmer or elevator now might be a good time to stock up.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
i just paid 10 bucks for a fifty pound bag , this time last year i paid 7 bucks , i dont see the retail stores dropping their prices cause of deer season , its more profit for them

Deer feeding is such a small part that the mills aren't going to keep the price up just because of that. Retail Stores only sell commercial corn that is on the hunting shows or endorsed by hunting celebrities. Those won't come down no matter what the actual corn pricing does.

So Sam, Whats the cause for the drop ? Bumper corn crop last year and projected again for this year, high prices kept to much stock because people didn't buy as much, or because the drop in gas prices I have seen in the last week ?

50lb bag of shell corn was $10.25 here a few weeks ago at the mill. Unless prices stay down or drop more I don't see it changing anytime soon there.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
IF prices stay you could go to a local guy and hand him a hundred and get way more than 500# if you have somewhere to put it. Corn is about 65# a bushel if I remember correctly. I think you could pay market price and do ok with a local guy.

Beentown

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
So Sam, Whats the cause for the drop ? Bumper corn crop last year and projected again for this year, high prices kept to much stock because people didn't buy as much, or because the drop in gas prices I have seen in the last week ?

50lb bag of shell corn was $10.25 here a few weeks ago at the mill. Unless prices stay down or drop more I don't see it changing anytime soon there.

Partly it's because of the harvest has begun across the country and partly because of global economic uncertainty that has hit stocks and commodities. There isn't a bumper crop of corn across the country this year, to many problem areas.

Longdraw

Central,Ohio
My buddy who farms told me the price is gonna take a steep drop so just wait,he said record crops in other countries is gonna kill our exporting of crops which will give us a big surplus

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
IF prices stay you could go to a local guy and hand him a hundred and get way more than 500# if you have somewhere to put it. Corn is about 65# a bushel if I remember correctly. I think you could pay market price and do ok with a local guy.

Beentown

56 lbs to the bushel most of your feed mills will sell you bulk corn at current market value. The bad part is it won't come in those handy 50 pound bags, they put them in poly bags that are close to 100 lbs and you might have to buy lets say 500 pounds

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Partly it's because of the harvest has begun across the country and partly because of global economic uncertainty that has hit stocks and commodities. There isn't a bumper crop of corn across the country this year, to many problem areas.

Got ya. Makes sense to me. i know the mid-west was covered in water from floods for a long time this spring and either didn't get to plant or will be pushing the bounds to get it picked in time.