Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fall from treestand

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Thank God your alright Dale. I heard about this and about fell over. I couldn't believe that this happened to you and made me really think about the safety aspect of hanging stands even if a person is doing everything the right way. It can happen and in a blink of an eye no matter who you are and how safe your doing it. This has also made me rethink how I hang my stands and made me thankful that nothing has happened to me on those many occasions of hanging and removing stands alone and before I got the cell phone.

God gave you a guardian angel that day my friend. Thank you for sharing your story with us and I hope this will make people stop and think a little more before they too find themselves in this situation or worse. Thoughts and prayers for you and I hope for a speedy recovery buddy.

Thanks again for sharing Dale.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
OMG! Sorry to hear this Dale! Thanks for the warning/reminder on tree stand safety thread! Glad to know you weren't hurt any worse than you were as the injuries you sustained were bad enough. Prayers sent your way for a speedy recovery man! Thank God Seth was there! WHEW!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Dale it is great to see you with your spirits up and knowing that you are healing. We serve a wonderful God that continues to work miracles daily, and I am Glad that you where one of those miracles. I remember hearing in a safety meeting once for workmans comp that 85% of falss in the work place from 8' or higher end in a fatality. You blew those statistics out of the water. We will continue keeping you in our prayers for a quick and full recovery. I am sure you are no stranger to Romans 8:28, but it is events like these that make that scripture so great.

Glad to hear you will make a full recovery and had no internal injuries. Sometimes angels watch over us more than we think. My wife fell over a sheer cliff in July 2010. She fell 48 feet in to a rock strewn creek and I was sure when I saw her go over she would be killed. She, like you, sustained no internal injuries and no broken bones. Everyone that sees where she fell is simply amazed that she is alive. I believe God has a plan for all of us and He wasn't done with you or her just yet.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Glad your ok, you are truely blessed to be able to walk away from that fall, this is a good reminder to pay close attention to saftey this close to hunting season.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
So glad that you're relatively ok, Dale. It certainly could have been a lot worse... It just goes to show you how powerful a little faith in God can be... He was definitely watching over you that day. Thank you for sharing your story with us, and let it be a constant reminder to everyone here... NEVER take your life, your safety, or your equipment for granted. It can happen to anyone, any time.

You know, a few years ago I started saying a little prayer each time I got into a treestand to start a hunt... Not praying for success, but moreso to thank God for the opportunity to be outdoors, and to ask him to watch over my family and friends that are also out hunting. This Saturday, and from then on, I'm going to make it a point to include all of my TOO brothers in that pre-hunt prayer.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Wow Dale... really glad to hear that you're doing well after such a fall. God was certainly there, and watching over both you and Seth that day. We'll keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers during your recovery. This is certainly a stark reminder that we all need to take safety into account first and foremost when doing what we all love to do here... hunt. I know personally that I need to do a much better job of that, and there's no doubt that I'm gonna be making some changes this season. Thank you so much for sharing your story. Hope you get better very soon & get back in the woods!

Matt

Norton, OH
Dale, like I said before I'm so glad you are ok and escaped more serious injury. I fell out of a 12' ladder stand once when it gave way. I was fortunate enough to escape any injury by grabbing a nearby vine and lowering myself down a tree. It can happen so easily, we don't even notice when we are up there. Dale, I hope you have a very speedy recovery and get to go hunt that stand and bag a giant from it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Thought about you this weekend dale. I was hanging my LW sticks with my linemans strap... I was about 18 feet and unknown to me there was a stob of a limb on the other side of the tree.. I stepped up. Raised my belt and reached back for my sticks, I didn't know it but my belt was on that stob and not the trunk. As soon as I set my sticks across my belt to unpack one, the stob broke. I fell back about a foot before my belt hit the tree and jolted me to a stop. I thought my strap broke too and While that's not 5% of what you went through it did give me some perspective into the moment you realize.. Shit... I'm about to fall. . It took me a moment to realize that my strap had simply slipped about a foot.

Brother.... You went through a nightmare... And I'm glad you're healing fine with no lasting injuries.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Thought about you this weekend dale. I was hanging my LW sticks with my linemans strap... I was about 18 feet and unknown to me there was a stob of a limb on the other side of the tree.. I stepped up. Raised my belt and reached back for my sticks, I didn't know it but my belt was on that stob and not the trunk. As soon as I set my sticks across my belt to unpack one, the stob broke. I fell back about a foot before my belt hit the tree and jolted me to a stop. I thought my strap broke too and While that's not 5% of what you went through it did give me some perspective into the moment you realize.. Shit... I'm about to fall. . It took me a moment to realize that my strap had simply slipped about a foot.

Brother.... You went through a nightmare... And I'm glad you're healing fine with no lasting injuries.

WOW, pucker factor times 10.

I got into my stand last night, looked down to make sure the straps were hooked on to the stand correctly...one of the hooks that connects to the hang on was connected to the wire, instead of the stand. I jumped off real quick, and fixed it. That would have sucked!! I'm glad I was paying attnetion. I made sure I thanked the good lord for that one.

deerburger

*Supporting Member*
Wow, man. I am glad you're okay too. You've got a tough head and neck. This story didn't help my heights phobia at all.

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio

Oh man Joe...that had to rattle you a little. Glad it wasn't the real thing. I am healing up amazingly well, so excited to get the bow in my hand and kill some deer :)