Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deciphering patterns with Trail Cam photos

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I need some help, guys. Does anyone know how to extract the individual sets of file details from a folder full of trail camera photos? Example... Let's say I have a folder full of 1000 pics, each pic with the time/date stamp... I want to extract all of the time/date stamps out, say into a .txt file or something. Is there a way to do that?

If this is possible, I can see it being very beneficial for patterning deer. Extract the data, import the data into Excel... analyse from there. I'm sure this is how some of the aftermarket scouting software works, but I was hoping to bypass those and save a buck... while also saving time. Any ideas?

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I have the option to arrange my files by month or day. Usually when I do that by day it will put them in time order for those days as well.

Other then that I would think you would have to buy a program or go in and manually place the data into a spreadsheet.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Have you tried copying the text and pasting in Word or Excel?

Copy and paste doesn't seem to work... When you right-click on one, it simply copies the entire image file. All I want to pull from each file is that little bit of date/time data.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Here is an Exif extractor that will place the output in a CSV file that can be take into excel.

http://www.br-software.com/extracter10_setup.exe

Load the program. Create a file on your desktop called dates.csv. (right click / new text document / name it dates.csv)

Open the program.
Select the input folder
select target dates.csv
Select check box "date and time"
Hit Extract.

Import or open CSV in Excel to manipulate data.

Buy joe a beer.

:)

Huckleberry Finn

If Joe's method doesn't work, send Huntn2 a pm...or he'll see this thread.

Excel confuses me, but Jackalope has never lead me astray, computer-wise that is

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
This program just extracts the picture metadata and puts it into a format that can be manipulated in excel. That's 95% of the battle.. He'll still have to work some excel vodo to arrange it.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
This program just extracts the picture metadata and puts it into a format that can be manipulated in excel. That's 95% of the battle.. He'll still have to work some excel vodo to arrange it.

That's exactly what I was looking, bro. Thank you! I haven't gotten around to trying it yet, but it sounds like it's gonna work out well. Excel voodoo... nah, it's cake.

camofry

*Supporting Member*
I dont know if it would help or not, but I have a program by OUTLAND SPORTS that was made for MAD CALLS that I think you can import your pics and even your GPS maps . It says its for Accurately predict deer movement at your stand, Map your area, Score your deer andcreate valuable records. I can send it to someone if they want to make copys of it and give it a try. It has never been opened ,so I dont even know what it will do.