Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Swear by it??Or do you swear at it?

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
yea it always seems when I hunt the morning of a full moon, I dont see anything all day. I used to get excited thinking I am going to see so good when I am out there.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I belive the theory about the moon triggering the rut. It's the only thing in nature that is constant. Temperatures and percipitation change from year to year but lunar phases and the amount of day light dont. Deer dont have calendars or weatherbug, all they know is the days are getting shorter, the leaves have come off the trees and the full moon is getting closer.

That being said, I dont like walking into my stand during a full moon, I feel like everything for 10 miles around can see me.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've seen pictures of Chad's walls.

I have seen more than pictures. I have seen the house. . . and the garage. . . and the shed. . . I think I even saw his kids playing the Wii or something. haha

I listen when Chad speaks as well. Told me the best time to catch bachelor groups was the second week in July. Sure as crap, I saw the most bachelor groups this year the second week in July. He could have made it up and it was pure coincidence, but he nailed that one.

In regards to the moon, I can't say. I just haven't had enough time in the saddle to give an experienced opinion. What I will tell you is a change in pressure is better than the moon. Seems like I have had better luck and more sightings when a front is moving.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It's been my experience as well that the full moon slows down daytime activity as well and high pressure days with the moon over head during mid day are the best hunts of my life.......usually! First quarter and last quarter moons are usually kickass when temps are in the 40's for the highs! I can't wait guys!!!

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
When the moon is full you might as well go home and spend time with the kids then on the good days hit it hard...

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I have seen more than pictures. I have seen the house. . . and the garage. . . and the shed. . . I think I even saw his kids playing the Wii or something. haha

I listen when Chad speaks as well. Told me the best time to catch bachelor groups was the second week in July. Sure as crap, I saw the most bachelor groups this year the second week in July. He could have made it up and it was pure coincidence, but he nailed that one.

In regards to the moon, I can't say. I just haven't had enough time in the saddle to give an experienced opinion. What I will tell you is a change in pressure is better than the moon. Seems like I have had better luck and more sightings when a front is moving.

Phil,

I wouldn't shit you.....

you're my biggest turd!:smiley_crocodile:

There are certain things you will really learn to pay attention to the more years you put into this. Finding bachelor groups of bucks is one of those things, so is patterning bucks over scrape lines during the 3rd week of October, and also hunting during a full moon period. I would rank the full moon as the least important though. It is still a good idea to spend time in the woods any time you can, even if a full moon is present. I won't stay home just because there is a full moon out. Even if you don't get a shot at a buck during this time, you might get a glimpse of one or find a fresh scrape that was just opened up on the way to your stand. Never underestimate the importance of just putting time in. The more you are out there the more chance that something good will come from it.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Phil,

I wouldn't shit you.....

you're my biggest turd!:smiley_crocodile:

There are certain things you will really learn to pay attention to the more years you put into this. Finding bachelor groups of bucks is one of those things, so is patterning bucks over scrape lines during the 3rd week of October, and also hunting during a full moon period. I would rank the full moon as the least important though. It is still a good idea to spend time in the woods any time you can, even if a full moon is present. I won't stay home just because there is a full moon out. Even if you don't get a shot at a buck during this time, you might get a glimpse of one or find a fresh scrape that was just opened up on the way to your stand. Never underestimate the importance of just putting time in. The more you are out there the more chance that something good will come from it.

So, let's say there is a full moon tomorrow and it was hunting season. When is the best time to hit the woods? Midday?
If I remember right, there was a full moon at peak rut either last year or the year before and I remember everybody was complaining about it because the sightings were way down, but is it because people ususally don't hunt midday?

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
So, let's say there is a full moon tomorrow and it was hunting season. When is the best time to hit the woods? Midday?
If I remember right, there was a full moon at peak rut either last year or the year before and I remember everybody was complaining about it because the sightings were way down, but is it because people ususally don't hunt midday?

Yes, from about 10 am to 2 or 3 pm. The deer move heavily during the night on full moon periods, and bed up long before it gets light. That's why the mid day period is better during this time because they get up to feed a little and stretch and look for some puntang.

I would somewhat compare it to working 3rd shift. You get home from work in the early morning, get to bed about sunrise, sleep a while, get up around noon or early afternoon, take a whizz, get a bite to eat, then go back to rest for a while. Then you get up and go to work all night long.