Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How high are you?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I get it....

I am trying to get a feel for how the hill country guys are doing their setups.

I plan on hunting some hill country in Richland county this year and there are no tree steps allowed on the property, so I am going to have to come up with an alternative to getting up the tree.

There are a couple alternatives... Even if you don't want to have a mobile stand you can still go with the sticks... I'm sure you already have plenty of hang ons that work great with screw in steps, stackable sticks, etc...

If you buy a pair of mobile sticks they're the last and only ones you'll need.... Use them to hang a fixed stand and then take them down leaving the stand 20+ feet in a tree. This is what I do with all of my old permanent stands. You don't have to worry about theft, or anyone hunting your rig. Two weekends ago i went to Vinton county to pull a hang on I set last November. I went to the spot and walked around for 10 minutes looking in the trees.. I thought someone stole it but knew that was impossible. I found it about 40 yards from where i remembered it.. It was that hard to find up there and i hung the damn thing. lol .. When I walk up to a tree it literally takes me 2 minutes or so to hang the sticks and hop in the stand that's up there.

I have a mobile stand also. 90% of the time it stays at home and I hunt the stands i mentioned above. But if I'm sitting in one of those stands and I see a nice deer across the field or down in the hollow... That night i don't have to sit at home and rack my brain.. "How am I going to kill him over there" or "I hope he comes over tomorrow".. None of it.. The first thing through my mind is "I'm moving in on that bastard in the morning" I walk outside to the garage, strap my sticks to my mobile stand, and daylight will find me sitting in a tree over there where he was. What tree? I don't care.. If i can put my hand on it, I can climb it and hang that stand. I didn't have to go look for a straight tree the evening before, or wait for the crack of dawn to see if this tree will work or if it has limbs.

Putting up the sticks and stand if far quieter than most think... And IMO quieter than a climber locking into a tree twice for every 1.5 feet of height gained. You can sneak into a spot and hang a stand pretty quietly.

Last edited:

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
The best thing about sticks and a hang on is limitations. You are not limited to any tree. You dont have to find that perfect tree with no branches with the best cover around it. You can hang in any spot! I hang em and leave em, I hunt on private land that I have full reign to, which is not everyones case, but I will never go back to a climber...never. I left mine at the bottom of a tree last year, and its still there. Attached to the tree, I will take it down this weekend, but it will sit in the garage, unless someone wants it for free.

Schu72

Streetsboro
The best thing about sticks and a hang on is limitations. You are not limited to any tree. You dont have to find that perfect tree with no branches with the best cover around it. You can hang in any spot! I hang em and leave em, I hunt on private land that I have full reign to, which is not everyones case, but I will never go back to a climber...never. I left mine at the bottom of a tree last year, and its still there. Attached to the tree, I will take it down this weekend, but it will sit in the garage, unless someone wants it for free.

Depending on what it is I might be interested. And might even give you a few bucks for it.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
EH, I dont want anything for it. I'll pull it Sun. and when whoever has time to meet up or whatever can have it. I dont even know the name. I got it from a buddy. Its really light. The rubber coating on the cord is cracked, but it works really well. i changed the seat on it cause the other was ripping. I got it cause how light it was. The one I had before that was tank, I think it was a guide gear. It was horrible to carry.

How fast we talking? 4min 3 min?My buddy stretch can get 20ft up an have his bow hanging an pack hangin on the tree ready to kill in 5min which i thought was fast with a climber..I think there are huge advantages to both..I sat in a LW an muddy stand b4.An i wouldnt wanna do that sun up to sun down..My stick/stand combo would be for split day sits..The stix is would be great when i need to climb down an drop a deuce QUOTE]

I timed him, its less than 5 min. thats with hanging a millenuim as well
Is that hanging the receiver etc..Or just attaching stand to receiver??Pretty fast.

Has anyone checked out the leverage stands? I don't think they go up very high but seems quick for a ladder stand
I been eyeballing the Leverage sticks...But i just saw a guy on CL has 3 of the light gorilla sticks for dirt cheap.
Ha! Fat tall guys get to 16...its those skinny squirrey fuggers that are hunting 25 feet!Thats might be a start for a po boy
Im with ya huck...20ft ish is the max for this 6ft tall 240+ fella

Milo

Tatonka guide.
i found both my sets of sticks on AT for 180 shipped to my door. thats 6... i also have a climber..new open shot delux sd. i use every weapon i can and gee as high as i can where i hunt. i also have a 10 foot stand that i use in special situations but i generaly hang around 16