Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How high are you?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
5 sticks with 20 inches between them and off the ground and at the top. Will get the platform at 23 feet. But I go 24 between and get 27 feet depending on the clothes I'm wearing. 23 is the minimum ill hunt.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
5 sticks WOW..Thats like 225$ or more..

Yeah.. Like anything, you pay more the nicer things get... You could spend $225 on 4 sets of 20 foot climbing sticks too. And you would only have 4 sets... We don't have to buy anymore 20 foot sticks and every tree in the woods is now a possible set.. The stands we pack in cost between 180-250 also.. But we don't have to buy 4 treestands at 50-90 bucks each either... You spent the same money the other way but only have 4 sets.. The mobile way we have, it's unlimited sets... But expect to shell out between 500-600 bucks for it...

Yeah.. Like anything, you pay more the nicer things get... You could spend $225 on 4 sets of 20 foot climbing sticks too. And you would only have 4 sets... We don't have to buy anymore 20 foot sticks and every tree in the woods is now a possible set.. The stands we pack in cost between 180-250 also.. But we don't have to buy 4 treestands at 50-90 bucks each either... You spent the same money the other way but only have 4 sets.. The mobile way we have, it's unlimited sets... But expect to shell out between 500-600 bucks for it...

Well i found a light hang on it aint no LW ..But its 11lbs an dirt cheap..Just looking at options light stick wise..I can get the Leverage stick for 3 for 99 shipped..Which would work till I upgraded either one or both...I just aint sure without practicing with that set up how quiet an efficient i could be this close to season...

Schu72

Streetsboro

Or you could just buy a nice climber for about $225-250 and be done with it. Much simpler in my opinion. Sure there are some trees you can go up with a climber, but I've never had an issue finding a tree here on the eastern side of the state. I know you guys love your stick and hang on set ups. It just seems like a lot of money and a lot more effort. Just putting it out there as an option for guys who are condisdering going mobile and haven't tried either yet.

Or you could just buy a nice climber for about $225-250 and be done with it. Much simpler in my opinion. Sure there are some trees you can go up with a climber, but I've never had an issue finding a tree here on the eastern side of the state. I know you guys love your stick and hang on set ups. It just seems like a lot of money and a lot more effort. Just putting it out there as an option for guys who are condisdering going mobile and haven't tried either yet.
Acutally I am buying a climber 1st.Most likely a Viper ss(or SD which is 2011)..I plan to add a Hazmore seat,footrest an molle II straps to carry it .It should be under 340$ for all that .Last year viper ss are 220$ shipped ebay an the 2011 SD model with basically spray foam in the tubes are 240$ range shipped..So Schu you nailed it on prices..I would love to find a used one in the mid 150$ price range though.Just checking the light hangon/stick idea for later in season.Some gnarly tree with lots of cover I would like to hunt out of an a climber is a no go there .I been saving $$ an figured it would have enough by now..It dont look like I will have either before season..I got 3 ladders on my 8acre..But nothing but a blind an my feet to hunt the farm with..I aint much on moving ladder stands lol

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Oh I have no doubt you can find a nice tall straight tree without limbs... Question is. Is it on the X? Or is it 10-20 yards this way or that. How much cover is on that tree without limbs? How thick are the woods or is it 60 year old mature timber with little undergrowth. That's the beauty of the mobile setup.. We don't have to sacrifice an inch, can hunt trees with more cover, and can get in any tree strong enough to hold us. From thick woods to mature timber. Not only that, I guarantee you someone like fluteman can set his sticks, hang the stand and be ready to hunt quicker than a guy can with a climber.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Acutally I am buying a climber 1st.Most likely a Viper ss(or SD which is 2011)..I plan to add a Hazmore seat,footrest an molle II straps to carry it .It should be under 340$ for all that .Last year viper ss are 220$ shipped ebay an the 2011 SD model with basically spray foam in the tubes are 240$ range shipped..So Schu you nailed it on prices..I would love to find a used one in the mid 150$ price range though.Just checking the light hangon/stick idea for later in season.Some gnarly tree with lots of cover I would like to hunt out of an a climber is a no go there .I been saving $$ an figured it would have enough by now..It dont look like I will have either before season..I got 3 ladders on my 8acre..But nothing but a blind an my feet to hunt the farm with..I aint much on moving ladder stands lol

You don't have to buy new... There are great deals on AT for sticks and stands all the time. :)

Not only that, I guarantee you someone like fluteman can set his sticks, hang the stand and be ready to hunt quicker than a guy can with a climber.
How fast we talking? 4min 3 min?My buddy stretch can get 20ft up an have his bow hanging an pack hangin on the tree ready to kill in 5min which i thought was fast with a climber..I think there are huge advantages to both..I sat in a LW an muddy stand b4.An i wouldnt wanna do that sun up to sun down..My stick/stand combo would be for split day sits..The stix is would be great when i need to climb down an drop a deuce
You don't have to buy new... There are great deals on AT for sticks and stands all the time. :)

All the climber deals i seen lately on AT aint worth it IMO..Why would i pay 170 plus ship for something i can get new for 220$ on ebay..That is where i saw the leverage sticks for 99$ for 3 pack,,

Schu72

Streetsboro
Oh I have no doubt you can find a nice tall straight tree without limbs... Question is. Is it on the X? Or is it 10-20 yards this way or that. How much cover is on that tree without limbs? How thick are the woods or is it 60 year old mature timber with little undergrowth. That's the beauty of the mobile setup.. We don't have to sacrifice an inch, can hunt trees with more cover, and can get in any tree strong enough to hold us. From thick woods to mature timber. Not only that, I guarantee you someone like fluteman can set his sticks, hang the stand and be ready to hunt quicker than a guy can with a climber.

I'm not saying your set up is a bad one, just that there are other options for people who don't have $500-600 bucks to put into a set-up.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
How fast we talking? 4min 3 min?My buddy stretch can get 20ft up an have his bow hanging an pack hangin on the tree ready to kill in 5min which i thought was fast with a climber..I think there are huge advantages to both..I sat in a LW an muddy stand b4.An i wouldnt wanna do that sun up to sun down..My stick/stand combo would be for split day sits..The stix is would be great when i need to climb down an drop a deuce QUOTE]

I timed him, its less than 5 min. thats with hanging a millenuim as well