Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

got a new muzzleloader

swamp_donkey819

got a new muzzleloader last night, well its used. since ive only used muzzleloader a few times are they safe for 150 grain, and also whats a good yardage to sight it in at it has a 4x12x20 zoomable scope. i hunt alot of open fields and really less dense woods. so long shots are highly possible with this where ill be hunting

rossbows

It will work fine with 150g of powder. Set at a inch high at hundred yards it should be two or three low at two hundred. Normally around six at 250 yards. Make sure to shot a little at long range to now. Shot it three times and run a bore brush down it twice if it your groups will start moving around.

swamp_donkey819

so about an inch high at hundred yards and about 6 in high at 250 yards, what about holdin dead on anywhere in between say 50-250 yards how will it shoot then high or low ?dead on maybe

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think he is referring to your scope. When you dial in your scope you want it to be hitting about an inch higher than what you are aiming at. If you shoot at something closer, you can always aim an inch or two lower.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Why do you want to load 150 gr. ?

Great point CJD! I am not a muzzle loader expert like many of these guys, but I listen and take notes. CJD helped me get my muzzle loader dialed in pretty dang close last year. 100gr might be the best for your gun or 150gr might work better. Don't be afraid to mix it up and see what works best Swamp Donkey.

rossbows

If you us a heavy bullet and can take a 200+ shoot 150g will work alot better less drop. 100 yards max 100g is fine. Inline muzzle loader is all I hunt with. You can reach out there and touch them. But its all open fields around here.

swamp_donkey819

yea i got alot of open land here also, thats why i was wondering about the 150gr, like i said i never shot em much, my buddy said 150 will get out there at some good yardage, but about the scope the places i hunt about 150-200 yards is bout the shooting distance ill be around, im just wondering if its hittin good at 150 how much will it be off at say like 70 if i held the sights on like i would at 150? does that make sense, and bullets i got with the gun are 240 might switch to a different bullet and possibly switch to the white hot pellets

rossbows

Sight it died on at a 100y anything under that just aim died on 200 yards all be around two inch low if you aim died on. I like to uses the power belt bullets with the ballistic tip. they are very easy to load and make a huge hole. The deer will not go far. I have used many different brands and most don't bleed good. These have worked the best. Just shoot it and get to now your gun you will love it. You might never us a shotgun again.

swamp_donkey819

yea power belt are the ones i was meaning to say, i have the hornady and my buddy said they are just to much cause they mushroom and just tear everything up on the way thru, i like the idea of muzzleloader cause its classic hunting plus you get to use it for gun season and muzzleloader and early muzzloader that i actually thought about doin this year at saltfork if i find a way there. ya happen to know of a sight that wil show me how to tear it down to clean it good

rossbows

Just take the breech out of the end and us hot soapy water and a brush on your ram rod and clean the hell out of it. Dry it good and oil it down good. But some oil on the breech and put it back in.

rossbows

I shoot about the same at 150 and 125...good point though. My uncle's TC Black Diamond was killer with 100 on the nose.

I found with a bigger bullet it does alot better down range. But I like to shoot mine out to 250 yards. With a light bullet with that much powder they will not hold a group. You don't need that much powder normally. Im just a long range shooter with big open fields it nice to now you can shoot that far. Imo

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Mine prefers 100g of 777 and T/C Shockwave bullets.

With a .45 bullet with sabot (T/C) with 100 grains of powder I still get over 1200 ft lb of energy at 300 yards. Plenty to kill a deer. The accepted # for an effecient deer kill is 1000 ft lbs. of force. Just shoot what your gun likes. Heavier bullets do stabilize alot easier and I believe are more accurate with heavier powder charges.

http://www.blackpowderbullets.com/muzzleloader%20ballistics%20chart.html

Beentown

swamp_donkey819

i took the whole gun apart completly last night and for a gun the was 85 bucks and a couple years old the inside of the barrel shines like new, can say the same for the breeh plug and firing pin has some rust sprayed the breech plugh with some w-d 40 and the took the toothbrush to it and cleaned that tiny hole out and put her back in. and i was thinkin of goin with a 280gr bullet and 100 grain of powder, right now i only got the 50 grain pellets so i cant measure out the grains so ither either 50 100 150, if a 100grain will work for 150-180 as it will for a hundred yards then ill be happy with that

swamp_donkey819

so when starting to sight this in should i boresight it to see how far im off, like pull the firing pin and breech pin out and look through the barrel, thats kinda how my 22 was sighted in years ago