Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Newer broadhead ( to me at least) Helix

Im with joe. I do worry about how a bh preforms when sent threw bone be it ribs or the shoulder paddle. I think that we would be niave to think that even with careful shot planning that it is impossible for a bd not to contact bone there are way to many variables. The st makes big wound channels and punchs bone but i agree with milo that it isnt a cutter like a stinger or even monotecs. I can see this helix possibly acting on this bone spliter concept but talk is cheap. I dont really care for their website the wording reminds me of a infomercial. I just know that single beveil knives are a pain in the dick to sharpen dont see a single beveil bh being any different.
I dont carry a glock because i plan on getting in a self defence shooting but just in case i do i have a tool to help me out.

Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
This isnt to ruffle any feathers with any1 (milo an joe)..But I have passed on many deer(both sex) for 3 seasons..Because I dont want to take what i feel is a iffy or bad shot angle??Am i wrong for this??Am i being to Ethical??I want a honest answer maybe I been wrong all this time..I know I can place the shot well(well in those seasons I could)..But being slightly new to this(under 5 years) should I be taking more of these type of shots I been avoiding?
Its up to you OMO what you wanna do but i know how and what i shoot and understand how my broadhead works so i take the shots i feel i can make. Knowing your equipment advantages and design helps you determine what works for your setup. I shoot a 525 grain arrow at 70 pounds for a reason. The skeletal structure of a large mature whitetail is nothing i care to skimp on. Been on the light arrow train as well as the really heavy arrow train. I feel i have the Ray Lewis of arrow setups....

So i guess with with my previous setup(bow,arrow Bhead combo) and current one..I am going about it correctly an passing on Qtr TOO shots...I dont generate the energy you guys do..So in turn I guess I have to be more particular of the shots I take.I really dont think switching Bheads would up my chance of taking successful Qtr TOO shots..An definitely with the recent drop of my bow poundage those shots wont be in the cards for me

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Energy is a relative term. How you use it is the key. Do you process your own deer OMO? Believe it or not i have passed up broadside shots at deer because they were nervous and waited for them to calm down. The anatomy of a whitetail is something everyone should learn as you can see the bone thickness and relative flexibility.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Its up to you OMO what you wanna do but i know how and what i shoot and understand how my broadhead works so i take the shots i feel i can make. Knowing your equipment advantages and design helps you determine what works for your setup. I shoot a 525 grain arrow at 70 pounds for a reason. The skeletal structure of a large mature whitetail is nothing i care to skimp on. Been on the light arrow train as well as the really heavy arrow train. I feel i have the Ray Lewis of arrow setups....

Sounds more like the Peyton Hillis of arrow setups to me. :)

Those helix BHs look pretty nasty. Very simple design, yet I'm sure they're very effective. The blade thickness is hefty, but not quite as hefty as my .080" Steel Force Phatheads. :)

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I just ordered some 155 grainers so i will do a write up on them when they come in for the site. Them hopefully they will dial in quickly and spoon heads will start dying...jbrown those are next on my list to try but i have always wanted to try a single bevel...believe it or not i back this arrow down from my heavy hitter..625 or so grain 2317's....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I just ordered some 155 grainers so i will do a write up on them when they come in for the site. Them hopefully they will dial in quickly and spoon heads will start dying...jbrown those are next on my list to try but i have always wanted to try a single bevel...believe it or not i back this arrow down from my heavy hitter..625 or so grain 2317's....

I'm thinking about buying another set of Phatheads this season... So if I do I can send you one to try out. I think they're a great combination of a puncher and a slicer. A cut-on-contact head that's built for strength is a deerslayer for sure.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Gentlemen, the eagle has landed and the broadheads are in...pretty quick shipping i must say that pleases me as it is elk season out west. fairly neat packaging which i appreciate and these heads "look" fairly mean in person. I will do a detailed review to follow but i just put one on a shaft to spin test and it is really close to true. They are sharp also. so far so good. i will include packaging and photos in write up. give me a little time to put it through its paces. I REALLY like the blade thickness.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Gentlemen, the eagle has landed and the broadheads are in...pretty quick shipping i must say that pleases me as it is elk season out west. fairly neat packaging which i appreciate and these heads "look" fairly mean in person. I will do a detailed review to follow but i just put one on a shaft to spin test and it is really close to true. They are sharp also. so far so good. i will include packaging and photos in write up. give me a little time to put it through its paces. I REALLY like the blade thickness.

I'm looking forward to this review, Milo. Hopefully they're as good as they look like they could be.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
i hope to shoot them this week and see how this thing performs. not going to shoot it into concrete or steel barrel stuff as that is not what i am hunting anyway. lots of pics hopefully.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Okay i have some news to report back on these heads.

first thing i did was grab one arrow and spin test all three heads. all 3 had a different degree of work that needed to be done to them to get them to spin properly. bad sign? maybe ..so i proceed to pair up each head with a corresponding arrow and get them to spin true. the first two needed a few swipes on the G5 ASD to be where i needed them to be. the 3rd one needed some love to get into position. not a huge deal IF you have the tools and patience to do this setup. i decide since #3 is the worst that it will be my test subject to shoot. might as well use the "worst one" to see how it shakes out. if it can pass so will the rest. fast forward to today and we get down to brass tacks and shoot these suckers. first shots were low but left and rights were very good. i make a very small adjustment to my rest and the groups tighten up very well. i probably made a 1/32 adjustment and i am now reflecting an arrow shaft...cut one almost clean off. not too shabby.

Noted for the test are the fact that my target points are 145 grain and the broadhead is 155. not a huge deal but enough for me to note. the target took an ass whoopin from these heads as from the design, they rotate inside the target ..they do make it difficult to remove without tearing a hole out. i felt that i was getting at least 2 rotations inside the target as i was removing them. I am getting sort of excited to put these in some meat and bone to see how they stack up. I am fairly pleased with them. I actually yanked and banked again on my target and the arrow glanced off and buried in teh dirt...it tore a nice hole in the ground when the broadhead hit. i cleaned it off, nocked it up and reshot...no issues..pretty tough.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
wish i had some pics...i will for sure have kill shots stuff. just took a couple when shooting..maybe Joe or Beener will post them as i am mildly retarded.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
wish i had some pics...i will for sure have kill shots stuff. just took a couple when shooting..maybe Joe or Beener will post them as i am mildly retarded.

Sure. Email them to me. Joe theohiooutdoors.com... Just put an at symbol in the space.

Huckleberry Finn

Posting for Milo...

milo1.jpg

milo2.jpg