Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Stan Potts almost kills his 5th 200"

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
So very true... I won't lump them all into that group but there are so many you can... If you take 100's and 100's and 100's of acres and poat the shit out of it and keep everyone out and only shoot 6+ year old deer and some does from time to time, yeah everyone who would go out would be seeing 180" deer all the time too... Everyone has their opinion.. I would like to see these "PRO" and i use toe word pro very loosely out in the middle of the Wayne National Forest and see how many 160" deer they shoot year after year.... Not saying they are not good hunters, but you know these big deer on these big farms they have their number... Deer doesnt have a chance... JMO..

This is why i like larry Weishuhn.. He'll tell you in a heartbeat and I've seen him say it on the air..." I couldn't do it.. You can't kill what's not there... But what i will do is shoot a mature deer for that property.. That could be a 110 inch 6 year old, or a 195 inch six year old." And I've seen him do it in Texas... Shot what some in Tx would call a cull buck. But he was quick to point out that that property wasn't one of those slunger TX property.. But a scrum brush small deer property, and for said property it was a mature deer.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not following Jack. Larry hunts many ranches. Pretty sure he is a high fence guy. You saying he "couldn't do it" referring to he simply couldn't hunt on his own without the help of the outfitter?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Not following Jack. Larry hunts many ranches. Pretty sure he is a high fence guy. You saying he "couldn't do it" referring to he simply couldn't hunt on his own without the help of the outfitter?

Yes he does. I didn't say he was a dick in the dirt public land hunter. But i'm willing to bet he is one of the few that could get it done there too. Simply because of his perspective of what's a trophy for the area... IMO it appears as though he views a 120 class WNF deer the same as a 200+ game farm deer.. Both are a trophy for what they are... He doesn't just sit on techamonte ranch and blast booners. But when he does he's straight up about it, i'm here to shoot a mature buck for the property.. I've seen him shoot dink bucks that wouldn't go 120 on numerous occasions, and be tickled pink about it proclaiming what a trophy it was for the area.

He shot this ugly thing in Illinois.

2532_tn_Weishuhn,Illinois.jpg

This one in Wyoming
2485_tn_Weishuhn,Wyoming.jpg

And his biggest to date.. A bought an paid for high fence deer.

Last edited:

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Their tactics and advice wont help me in my world of deer hunting.

Im probably twice the age of most of you guys..The best advice i can give you about deer hunting is to keep it challenging..Thats why I will only hunt publicland...I dont want assured success...I dont want to hunt something that hasnt been through the gauntlet of hell...I want frustration..I wanna bust my ass..I want the odds completely against me..I want success to basically be impossible...Why?..Because it will keep the fire of deer hunting burning each and every season..I have the same drive as i did 25 years ago..maybe even more. Im securing my Love to hunt for many years to come by making it challenging.

I would suspect these TV guys have ruined their passion to hunt ..It has been replaced by the need to satisfy their sponsors.

Too much of something is not a good thing..Keep it just out of reach and you will enjoy a lifetime of hunting.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Im probably twice the age of most of you guys.

I am not buying this one Mountaineer. I would guess the average age on here to be around 30ish. You in your 60's? I gotta call you out on this one.

I would suspect these TV guys have ruined their passion to hunt ..It has been replaced by the need to satisfy their sponsors.

Couldn't argue this one at all though. I think this is the point Jackalope was making about Larry Weishuhn. I do agree that the man seems to truly enjoy the hunt and everything about it to this day. Does he proudly tote his TC? Yep. But the guy does NOT hide it when hunting high fence. I bet he was a heckuva a hunter back in the day. He still pushes hard on important issues for hunting though. Always here him harping on safety and getting the youth involved. I respect this from the guy. Although I don't agree with it, I do respect the fact he tells you when hunting high fences. He isn't hiding anything. Most of the others it seems like they are in the enclosures, but you never really know for sure.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Their tactics and advice wont help me in my world of deer hunting.

Im probably twice the age of most of you guys..The best advice i can give you about deer hunting is to keep it challenging..Thats why I will only hunt publicland...I dont want assured success...I dont want to hunt something that hasnt been through the gauntlet of hell...I want frustration..I wanna bust my ass..I want the odds completely against me..I want success to basically be impossible...Why?..Because it will keep the fire of deer hunting burning each and every season..I have the same drive as i did 25 years ago..maybe even more. Im securing my Love to hunt for many years to come by making it challenging.

Too much of something is not a good thing..Keep it just out of reach and you will enjoy a lifetime of hunting.

If that's the case, then why aren't you going through the "gauntlets of hell" trying to kill a booner in WV instead of making the trip across the river yearly? Compared to WV, Ohio is like shooting big bucks in a barrel.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Flute..

Weapon of choice has nothing to do with it..Im not seeking that kind of a challenge. I just want the animal fully aware of the game and seasoned from being hunted. It seems these TV guys will create a "SWEET" enviroment for these deer to grow up in...until one day. The "SWEETNESS" creates a False Sense of Reality and gives assurance. I just want to hunt deer that live in an enviroment thats not safe and does not give any false senses of security. Take a big buck under these conditions and you have done something. Under these conditions is where i find peace with myself.

This is just my way of thinking..it doesnt mean im right or wrong. Its just how i feel about whats occuriong these days.

When you guys get older, you'll see what im talking about.

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Mountaineer is going to be the next Tred Barta!

It might not be the right way but it is the Mountaineer way... ;)

Beentown

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Flute..

Weapon of choice has nothing to do with it..Im not seeking that kind of a challenge. I just want the animal fully aware of the game and seasoned from being hunted. It seems these TV guys will create a "SWEET" enviroment for these deer to grow up in...until one day. The "SWEETNESS" creates a False Sense of Reality and gives assurance. I just want to hunt deer that live in an enviroment thats not safe and does not give any false senses of security. Take a big buck under these conditions and you have done something. Under these conditions is where i find peace with myself.

This is just my way of thinking..it doesnt mean im right or wrong. Its just how i feel about whats occuriong these days.

When you guys get older, you'll see what im talking about.

I get what you're saying and I agree with it for the most part. Here is where I draw the line though..... Most private land hunting is still similar to public land hunting in the fact that there are multiple guys hunting the same piece of ground. Add to that most parcels of ground aren't big and continuous enough to contain a buck's living area. There are no tracts of private ground anywhere that I know of ( In Ohio ) large enough to hold a buck his entire life. Sooner or later that buck is going to have to figure out a way to survive multiple seasons to get large.

Just because most of us here hunt private ground doesn't give us a huge advantage on tagging a large buck like it's made out on TV.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I get what you're saying and I agree with it for the most part. Here is where I draw the line though..... Most private land hunting is still similar to public land hunting in the fact that there are multiple guys hunting the same piece of ground. Add to that most parcels of ground aren't big and continuous enough to contain a buck's living area. There are no tracts of private ground anywhere that I know of ( In Ohio ) large enough to hold a buck his entire life. Sooner or later that buck is going to have to figure out a way to survive multiple seasons to get large.

Just because most of us here hunt private ground doesn't give us a huge advantage on tagging a large buck like it's made out on TV.

I agree, Gern. There are some spots that I hunt down on WNF that see less human traffic in a year than a few of my private land spots. Just because it's public land, doesn't mean it's excessively-pressured. Granted, these spots are in the minority, but they're out there. Private or public ground, deer hunting is deer hunting, in my opinion. To me, the only hunts that hold no merit are the high-fence, pay-to-shoot variety.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
I also agree..There are some private lands that are hunted much harder than big tracts of publiclands. I dont see how some of you guys can hunt on 200 acres..To me its so limiting..and any kind of disturbance will send deer onto other properties. Make a mistake on small privateland holdings and you have little options...and to me thats tough hunting..Because in that case a hunter has to pay attention to the finer details...If i make a mistake and screw up my area..well..i can take hike and find fresh areas..There are alot more options on 20,000 acres of public compared to a couple hundred acres of private. My thing is to cover lots of ground on big exspanses of publicland and make an adventure out of the hunt..while you guys must thread the needle on your small private parcals...Both have their difficulties.

Been..

Im no tred barta..That guy has done some amazing things. Great attitude. :)

I guess the problem i see with these TV guys is that they try to find the quickest means to the end to satify their sponsers....The bottom line is they Need Kill shots on film and the more the better. They have too much on the line. I would never want to be in their shoes..why?..Because I love hunting whitetails and i wanna keep my passion and fire strong for years to come.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I agree whole-heartedly with both Chad and Jim! There is ALOT of pressure on every deer herd I have hunted over the years!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I also agree..There are some private lands that are hunted much harder than big tracts of publiclands. I dont see how some of you guys can hunt on 200 acres..To me its so limiting..and any kind of disturbance will send deer onto other properties. Make a mistake on small privateland holdings and you have little options...and to me thats tough hunting..Because in that case a hunter has to pay attention to the finer details...If i make a mistake and screw up my area..well..i can take hike and find fresh areas..There are alot more options on 20,000 acres of public compared to a couple hundred acres of private. My thing is to cover lots of ground on big exspanses of publicland and make an adventure out of the hunt..while you guys must thread the needle on your small private parcals...Both have their difficulties.

200 acres! Try 10 and 20 acre pieces! The biggest peice of ground I hunt on is 67 acres, and only about 20 acres of it is woods.