Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Leaves and Acorns.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Was down in VC this weekend and noticed many trees are starting to drop leaves. One big maple out front of the cabin had the ground around it covered in 2 days. Standing in the squirrel woods i also heard a many a red oaks that were dropping acorns.. (and no there weren't any squirrels in them. lol ) Still early to predict but I think Fall is coming like a freight train. I'm thinking snow by late October. Might have a good cold rut this year... :) :pickle:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Was down in VC this weekend and noticed many trees are starting to drop leaves. One big maple out front of the cabin had the ground around it covered in 2 days. Standing in the squirrel woods i also heard a many a red oaks that were dropping acorns.. (and no there weren't any squirrels in them. lol ) Still early to predict but I think Fall is coming like a freight train. I'm thinking snow by late October. Might have a good cold rut this year... :) :pickle:

I sure hope so. If there's one thing I hate in this world, it's sitting in a treestand on a November afternoon, in 70 degree temps.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I have noticed the leaves are trying to change colors up here. I also noticed the beans are just starting to hit the yellow tinge to the leaves. According to the cicada countdown we have 41 days until the first frost. We may not have frost until then but I don't think it is going to be hot for the beginning of bow season like the last few years. I think we will see mid 60's as highs with mid 40's for lows. Should be fun this year that's for sure.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I have maples dropping leaves also, but I see that all the leaves have black spots on them instead of changing colors., I wonder if this has anything to do with it. I am hoping for a early fall as that would make archery season a killer season this year.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
This hasn't been the best year for our business. We are surviving, but not boasting record numbers. With the crazy wet spring, and then hot and dry summer, it wouldn't break my heart to see a ton of snow this year. I can't wait for bow season to begin, but I won't get greedy for it. We have roughly 4 months to bow hunt. I am hoping for a lot of snow though! Would definitely bring in some deer to our food plots which are looking amazing right now! First year to try anything to this scale, so I am really anxious to see what sort of draw we get in the late season!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have noticed the leaves are trying to change colors up here. I also noticed the beans are just starting to hit the yellow tinge to the leaves. According to the cicada countdown we have 41 days until the first frost. We may not have frost until then but I don't think it is going to be hot for the beginning of bow season like the last few years. I think we will see mid 60's as highs with mid 40's for lows. Should be fun this year that's for sure.

So Oct 18 for first frost. And I'm predicting around the 25th for snow.... So it be written. lol

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
How awesome would that be!?!?! Snow on the ground for Halloween!... holy shit, I'd think I died and gone to heaven! lmao

I don't think it'll stick.. It'll be one of those that only sticks to fallen leaves.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
In Vinton the Reds and Pins are loaded.. Very spotty on Whites and the Chestnut are non existent.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am starting to find some in NW Ohio. Not all the trees have them, and have only found one so far with acorns of any size. Hanging a stand by that tree Saturday. lol