Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Momma should have told them

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I dropped my son off at school this morning and given it is overcast, cool temps, and a slight drizzle I figured some deer might still be in the fields this morning. I head out and look over the fields only to see no deer. I get to the one land owners house where I caught a number of coon out of the barn this past spring to check traps. ( haven't caught anything in months and now the corn/beans have them occupied but it gives the owners piece of mind to have the traps set and ready)

I'm sitting in my truck after checking the traps and here comes a fawn walking right out of the corn field just across the road maybe 60 yards away. I sat there expecting mom to follow and head themselves back through the hay field to another corn field. NO momma to be seen after a few minutes but this fawn is just standing right in the middle of the fuggin road lol. After several minutes it finally ventures to my side of the road and starts running down the edge of the hay field and makes a sharp turn and right back onto the dang road. I'm just sitting there waiting for a car to come down the road and blast this fawn by this point. After a couple of minutes of watching this fawn play car and run up and down the road I decided to pull out of the driveway and see if I can get it back into the corn field. I hit the road and the fawn just stops and looks right at me in the truck and shoots back into the edge of the corn field finally. I drove the 15 yards where it went in and reved the engine a little hoping to make the fawn a little more weary of the road lol. Never did see ol momma.

I figure in the next week I will find the little fugger dead in the ditch. Seems like a fawn gets hit right there every year.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Apply lots of horn....

I thought about doing that however, I have seen a few deer run back out into the roadway when people have laid on the horn. The sound reverberations messes with their ears and confuses them I think. Same thing with my siren when I ran with the Vol. fire department. Every now and again you would get that one deer that just seemed to be confused and ran right toward the sound. Strange but true lol.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Should have hit it then ate it ;)

Beentown

Less expensive to wait another 17 days and shoot it with the new bow lmao. I will just sit in the driveway instead of my tree stand. Heck, that even takes out the 1/2 mile walk back to the woods. Maybe I have been hunting these deer wrong for the past 2 seasons lmao.