Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

no more

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Well, no more scouting
I pulled all my cameras, stands are hung, lanes are cut, and trees for climbers are all picked out.
gonna stay out of the woods from now till season.
there is a small piece I might go hunt some squirrels in because I havent seen any real deer movement, but as far as going into an area i intend to deer hunt, no more.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
well so much for that small area to squirrel hunt. I went in there this afternoon and bumped a huge buck that I got on camera a couple months ago. guess I'll be staying out of there for now as well.

I havent seen him since this pic, He is just starting to peel. Im not sure if he was bedded or if he was just moving into a staging area, but I bumped him about 100 yards from where this pic was taken at about 5 in the evening.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
So are ya going to move your stand again lol

No. That stand is in the right spot for the does. so when november rolls around and the bucks are looking for does I figure I'll be in a decent position.

I'd still like to go shoot some tree rats though.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
dang dante thats a hoss..i haven't even put my cameras out yet:smiley_boos:

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I have been moving cameras around trying to figure out where he is moving to and from. but this spot is the only place I have seen him and only at night...
...until yesterday.

maybe as I gain experience I will get better at "patterning" them. But for now I guess I just have to sit where I sit and hope for the best.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
If I were you, I would find a good observation spot and get in there and watch. See if you can't pattern him from a distance before you start moving in on his turf.

He's one heck of a buck TOO!

Last edited:

Kaiser878

ohio
I dont understand the theory of pulling your cameras? Isnt that the whole purpose of a camera? To let you know when it is optimal to hunt? I run my cams all year basicly. Once season starts I wont hunt an area unless there is a deer I wanna kill in there. Not only does this keep me from wasting my time, but it also keeps my stands fresh! For example, I have a funnel that I hunt and run a camera in. I dont hunt it until I see a need to, which is what the camera is for. WHen the camera shows me that there is a deer I want to shoot in the aera, then I hunt it. Although, this theory doesnt coutn in the rut, because at any given point a new deer could come strollnig throguh the funnel and it wouldnt be on a consistent basis!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I do the same, kaiser... My cams pretty much never come down. When the season is in, I just check them when I'm coming and going from treestands. I'm already in the woods, so what does it hurt to check the cams?

Kaiser878

ohio
I do the same, kaiser... My cams pretty much never come down. When the season is in, I just check them when I'm coming and going from treestands. I'm already in the woods, so what does it hurt to check the cams?

Thats kinda of my point. Personally I find it pointless huntnig an area where I know there are not deer I wanna kill. The cams also let me know whether the deer are nocturnal or not. Which means I dont apply pressure to deer that are not killable.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I moved a camera on 8/24. I also hung some stands today. I know, shame on me. However, I had not been seeing what I want to see and I am not going to be hunting it until the second week of the season at the absolute earliest. Given these factors, I figured it was safe to hang a stand or two. They were hung on pinch points which will mainly come into play during the rut anyhow. Came home and checked images. Still didn't show me what I want to see. As much as I hate to go back in, tomorrow I am heading back into move the cameras. If they are not giving me what I am looking for, then (like you guys) I am not wasting my time. There are big boys in the area. I just need to pin point their whereabouts. Unfortunately, I am pretty sure I already know. They are most likely in the 1/2 mile wide by 1 mile long corn field. If they are where I think they are, then I have plenty of trees in this area suitable for a climber. Guess we will know in the next several weeks.

In Dante's situation, that is a darn nice deer. I think I would have left it, or at least left it in the same general area. No big deal leaving it in my opinion. Might give some more clues about his patterns. I don't think I would go back out to put it in there again at this point, but if there is an easy access place where you might move it up/down his travel corridor that would be different. If you can reposition it to catch where he is during the daylight hours that would be sweet! That is a darn nice deer buddy! Good luck with him.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Don't feel bad, Phil. I'm going in next weekend to hang a couple sets. Gonna smoke up, be as quiet as possible, and not worry too much about it. It is what it is. Didn't have the time, or the funds, to get the shit done when I would have liked to... oh well.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I think I would have left it, or at least left it in the same general area. No big deal leaving it in my opinion.

left what? a camera? There wasnt a camera there. I moved those to another property well over a month ago, I was in there squirrel hunting. And I would rather not make another trip in right now, rather give it a couple weeks to let him settle down.