Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gameplan Gear TTS vs. Molle Pack Straps

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You guys that are using one of these pack systems to carry stands into the woods... I need some opinions.

After seeing and trying on Jesse's TTS at the Buckeye Cam shoot, I had come to the conclusion that it was the cat's pajamas for packing in stands. I'm a day or so away from pulling the trigger on a new Millenium M100, and I want to get a good transport system to go along with it. After researching online, I have found a fair amount of good reviews for the TTS.... But also a lot of bad reviews, mainly complaining that the TTS fails under heavy loads. Many of the guys seem to be buying the military grade Molle pack systems for their stands. The only thing I don't like about these, is that they don't have the quick-detach buckles like the TTS... You basically have to attach them to the stand and leave it attached. I don't really want that. Especially since I could end up getting another stand in the future to use with the same TTS. What do you guys think?

Gameplan Gear TTS
http://www.amazon.com/Gear-T-T-S-Tr...=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1314736762&sr=1-5

Molle pack system
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USGI-MILITA...744?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0d563770

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm of the opinion that a good majority of "pack failures" would be better termed "operator error". I can't imagine hauling a much heavier load than my set up, with full Bow Bat and extra clothes, yet I've walked 1/2 mile and back like that with no issues several times now. I love the quick detach so I don't have something dangling from my stand. IMO, for what we are doing, the TTS is the right call. But I figure you saw that coming! LOL!!!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm of the opinion that a good majority of "pack failures" would be better termed "operator error". I can't imagine hauling a much heavier load than my set up, with full Bow Bat and extra clothes, yet I've walked 1/2 mile and back like that with no issues several times now. I love the quick detach so I don't have something dangling from my stand. IMO, for what we are doing, the TTS is the right call. But I figure you saw that coming! LOL!!!

Lol... yes, yes I did indeed. But, that's what I was hoping for buddy. I just needed some reassurance from you. I really can't stand the idea of my straps hanging from the bottom of my fuggin stand while hunting. That quick-detach system is kick ass.

Ok, well even though I've only gotten one opinion on this... I'll be surfing over to Cabelas.com in a minute. Time to offload some cabelas points lol.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I think the heavier duty packs have their place, it's just not in the midwest whitetail woods. That pack hanging there may never spook a deer, but I'm not taking that chance on a windy day. It adds unneeded movement to our sets for a benefit I don't think applies to what we are doing. I could be completely wrong, but I'm happy with my TTS and think it was 100% money well spent.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
The gameplan gear tts was redesigned this year after the complaints of them failing. If your tts fails, gpg will replace it. I'm sure either would work fine, but I prefer gpg.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well boys, it's official. My millenium stand, footrest, and extra cam-locks have been ordered.... and so has a gpg TTS to go along with it. Now, if I could just stumble on another couple hundo I might be able to throw some climbing sticks into the mix. lol Baby steps.... baby steps.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
i had a couple of failures but i expected them with the load i was carrying. its a nice system and jesse helped me into that setup. real glad i have it. it if i have used it like i should have i would have been fine.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I use the MOLLE shoulder straps off of my military ruck... Not the frame or the kidney pad. Just the straps. They don't hang down. When you hang the stand just grab the strap tag that cinces the pads and with one tug they cinch flat against the bottom of the platform. Take the tag strap and tuck it under.. Nothing hanging and I think it helps break up the outline of the stand from the bottom. But the biggest benefit i have found is when taking the mobile stand down.. While standing on the top stick i can just loosen the strap by pulling on the quick cinch buckle then throw the stand on my back... Then work my way down dropping each stick.. Basically i don't have to lower the stand via a rope that burns your hand. Or actually drop it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Basically i don't have to lower the stand via a rope that burns your hand. Or actually drop it.

Been there and done that on both of these. Better have some healthy rope tied onto a Millenium stand. Those things are heavy and can be clumsy to lower. Comfortable as heck, but not what I would consider a "light weight stand". I think some extra receivers are going to be ordered by me and my Millenium is going to be hauled up on my back and down on my back from now on. Screw in steps with one climbing stick at the top and bottom, and receivers pre-set on 2-4 trees is how I am going to use mine from now on. I find myself to be much less skilled than Greg and Jesse. Hat's off to you boys, I still suck at quick/quiet setups.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I use the MOLLE shoulder straps off of my military ruck... Not the frame or the kidney pad. Just the straps. They don't hang down. When you hang the stand just grab the strap tag that cinces the pads and with one tug they cinch flat against the bottom of the platform. Take the tag strap and tuck it under.. Nothing hanging and I think it helps break up the outline of the stand from the bottom. But the biggest benefit i have found is when taking the mobile stand down.. While standing on the top stick i can just loosen the strap by pulling on the quick cinch buckle then throw the stand on my back... Then work my way down dropping each stick.. Basically i don't have to lower the stand via a rope that burns your hand. Or actually drop it.

Your setup is no slouch either, It was pretty comfortable being as flat as it was

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Been there and done that on both of these. Better have some healthy rope tied onto a Millenium stand. Those things are heavy and can be clumsy to lower. Comfortable as heck, but not what I would consider a "light weight stand". I think some extra receivers are going to be ordered by me and my Millenium is going to be hauled up on my back and down on my back from now on. Screw in steps with one climbing stick at the top and bottom, and receivers pre-set on 2-4 trees is how I am going to use mine from now on. I find myself to be much less skilled than Greg and Jesse. Hat's off to you boys, I still suck at quick/quiet setups.

Isn't the millenium one of the lighter hang-on stands? Something like 14 lbs right? Since the platform is so long it may be slightly awkward, but I didn't think it was heavy at all. Of course, I've been dealing with archaeic treestands the last few years.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
My Millenium isn't heavy at all. awkward at times, but thats just when you're trying to hand on with one hand, and slide the seat into the receiver with the other. This is where the linemans strap comes in handy. Other than that, I love it.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Greg and I use two 30' pull ropes that he made with cheap carabiners on each end that have heat shrink on them. One hooks to the stand and the other to your pack/bow. The ropes are just 550 paracord, no need for anything heavy duty. Both ropes easily wrap up using Greg's slick little tactic and they easily store in the pouch on the waist band of the TTS.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
If you Google "molle treestand carrier", this is the second listing in the results!

So that leads me to share that my TTS is now tearing much the same as Greg's has. I am undecided about what to do at this point. It lasted me 3+ seasons before tearing and I've used the shit out of it. I'll see how GPG handles in CS wise as I've always had good luck with them. But I may be reconsidering how I pack everything in after this season.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
If you Google "molle treestand carrier", this is the second listing in the results!

So that leads me to share that my TTS is now tearing much the same as Greg's has. I am undecided about what to do at this point. It lasted me 3+ seasons before tearing and I've used the shit out of it. I'll see how GPG handles in CS wise as I've always had good luck with them. But I may be reconsidering how I pack everything in after this season.

They replaced mine.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
I bought a TTS two months ago, used it exactly 3 times and it broke today. I probably had 60 lbs on it. About made me sick. Not sure what to do. I really hate to even pay shipping to get it repaired seeing as its basically brand new. It didn't rip, but the chest buckle came out of its rivet.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I bought a TTS two months ago, used it exactly 3 times and it broke today. I probably had 60 lbs on it. About made me sick. Not sure what to do. I really hate to even pay shipping to get it repaired seeing as its basically brand new. It didn't rip, but the chest buckle came out of its rivet.

Call them. Robin is great to work with. Just email them pics of the problem. 60 pounds? Was you carrying a midget to pretend to be a deer?

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Been, Unfortunately when hanging a new set and hunting it, that is about the minimum I can get myself to carry. It's sad I know, but as soon as I stop carrying things I never use, is the time I will really wish I had them.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Been, Unfortunately when hanging a new set and hunting it, that is about the minimum I can get myself to carry. It's sad I know, but as soon as I stop carrying things I never use, is the time I will really wish I had them.

you should probably leave that popcorn machine at home as well as the back scratcher and thigh master