Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jesse's 2011-2012 Season Journal...

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Best of luck to you this evening bubba. Definitely a good evening to stick one.

On another note, it sure is weird to hear you say you are driving a truck. I have to stop and think for a second everytime I hear it. LOL

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Looking good...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317589652.305129.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317589652.305129.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 195

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Big old nanny doe and her two fawns visited my wheel house. Lucky for her, I don't shoot the ladies on the Sabbath. LOL!!!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317595984.831845.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317595984.831845.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 202

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Jesse's Season Stats

Does Seen: 10
Bucks Seen: 0
Deer Killed: 0
Morning Hunts: 1
Evening Hunts: 3
All Day Sits: 0
Total Hunts: 4
Hours on Stand: 7
Average Time Per Hunt: 1.75 Hours
Deer Seen Per Hour on Stand: 1.42

Stands Hunted: 3
Properties Hunted: 3

Hours Spent Guiding: 1.5

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
Cool "action" photo of the doe and your setup. I know what you mean about there being certain days you don't want to shoot something, unless it's huge. Too much going on later in the day or tomorrow, etc.......

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Jesse's Season Stats

Does Seen: 10
Bucks Seen: 2
Total Sightings: 12
Evening Hunts: 4
Total Hunts: 5
Hours on Stand: 8.25
Average Time Per Hunt: 1 hour and 39 minutes.
Deer Seen Per Hour on Stand: 1.45

Stands Hunted: 4

Great hunt tonight for only being a little over an hour. Saw the first two bucks of the season from an observation stand that is a flat awesome sit. I'm very happy with the results there. I was also pleased to see both bucks do what I expect the bucks to do in this area. It mirrors what I witnessed Moe do last year in this area of the farm. I honestly believe he'll repeat this actions later in the month...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Jesse's Season Stats

Does Seen: 14
Bucks Seen: 2
Total Sightings: 16

Arrow'd Squirrels: 1

Evening Hunts: 5
Total Hunts: 6

Hours on Stand: 10.25

Average Time Per Hunt: 1 hour and 43 minutes.
Deer Seen Per Hour on Stand: 1.56

Stands Hunted: 4

Pretty solid gig tonight. Saw four does down in the creek. It's gonna be rocking down there in a few weeks. When we weedeated the creek back, so gouged out a place for a mock scrape under the tree I was in tonight and they are hitting it. Pretty sure there was a Moe track in it. Gonna get a scrape dripper for the first time this year and try it out on a scrape across the bottom from me. Should get some great pics on it...

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Well, its been near two weeks since I have set in a tree and I'm itching to get out there. I plan on taking a half day Thursday and maybe all day Friday off this week. I'll have a few hunters in camp this weekend, so with any luck, Sandridge Outfitters will bloody up the leaves this weekend!!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Jesse's Season Stats

Does Seen: 21
Bucks Seen: 4
Different Bucks: 4
Total Sightings: 25

Arrow'd Squirrels: 2

Morning Hunts: 2
Evening Hunts: 8
Total Hunts: 10

Hours on Stand: 20

Average Time Per Hunt: 2 hours.
Deer Seen Per Hour on Stand: 1.25

Stands Hunted: 5

I'm pretty stoked about tomorrow evenings hunt. The front is supposed to break around 3 tomorrow and bring a N wind with it. In reality, I can't think of better conditions for a hunt from my #1 stand. Gonna have my fingers crossed all day tomorrow!!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Jesse's Season Stats

Does Seen: 23
Bucks Seen: 7
Different Bucks: 5
Total Sightings: 30

Arrow'd Squirrels: 2

Morning Hunts: 3
Evening Hunts: 12
Total Hunts: 15

Hours on Stand: 35

Average Time Per Hunt: 2 hours 32 minutes.
Deer Seen Per Hour on Stand: .85

Stands Hunted: 6

I'm feeling pretty beat up right now. We could not have had better weather this weekend and the hunting could not have been worse. I haven't had a picture of Moe in over a week. My gut feels the worst has happened, but my mind knows it can be any number of things. My intuition viewing the difference in Boss Hawg and Moe, is Boss pushed him out of the area. Boss is running the show right now based on what the cams are saying. I'm still on the fence about shooting him, but the next cam check on Friday/Saturday could seal his fate. I only saw two does all weekend. Of the 6 deer I saw this weekend, one was the same small 7 three different times. The stand I sat Friday night from 3-5PM, Saturday morning until 11, then again last night for 3 hours, has perfect access for the winds we had this weekend and it can be evidenced by the amount of tracks over mine in the course of a night. This tells me I'm not giving myself away coming and going. Visually, I can cover a TON of ground in nearly all directions. It sits in a saddle where the head of 3 ravines coming together with logging roads coming in from all over. I have no doubts the stand will produce, the deer were just not moving and I cannot understand why. I know the neighbors have a beagle that has been running deer, but I haven't see it in a while. The yotes have been bad, but there have been all summer and it hasn't seemed to effect the deer. Perhaps the most disheartening thing is I've been hunting hard when I've been in the woods. I'm standing 95% of the time, glassing, constantly looking on a swivel, and limiting my movements. I'm clean and smoked; yet to have a deer wind me to my knowledge. If deer were on the move, it's not like they snuck by me. That just adds to the doubt...

I had today off to hunt and didn't at all. :smiley_depressive: I was tired from a long weekend and feeling like shit about my season, so I pussed out this morning and slept in. I got up and grabbed a shower, then hit the farm to use the rain and wind to scout, move a stand, and set cams. I was in and out in a little over an hour with a steady rain pouring by the time I left. This is the third time this month I've used nights like tonight to scout and do that stuff. I feel like I've been good at keeping things low impact despite the recent increase in pressure. I had to get out tonight and put the cams to work for me over the next 4-5 days. The weather for the start of my vacation looks like horrible rut weather, so that is salt in a growing wound. All in all, I'm hating life tonight...