Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shooting does early VS late

Derek j

Knox Co.
I take what I can get whenever I can get it.

Same here. I mainly try to fill the freezer so I shoot as many as I can. But the does to bucks ratio is all dicked up at my spots, so I can do that. Only place I don't shoot more than one is my farm. I will shoot one doe and that's it.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Well...I will be hunting state land again this year...this land shares a property line with a very nice bean field that has a creek running through it and a couple of tree lines...the deer come into this field from the local park and are just tearing up this bean field every night...I'm kind of surprised I haven't heard any rifle shots out there yet and hoping that I don't ever hear them...last time I counted 30 deer in the field...while looking for a killing tree the other evening I was 50yds from a wide 6pt. who was eating in the field and we were only seperated by a thin tree line (property line)...

I would say in this case, if the landowner isn't excercising his legal use of crop damage permits to control the deer eating his crops and IF I can get the deer onto state land, then I would be okay with shooting at least a couple does in early season, maybe even a little veal for the freezer!!