Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

ever calm deer herd scent

Milo

Tatonka guide.
remember fellas its for calmin deer down and getting their curiosity up. be prepared for them to follow your boot tracks to the stand.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
remember fellas its for calmin deer down and getting their curiosity up. be prepared for them to follow your boot tracks to the stand.

Milo, would it be better too rub it on different vegitation on your way in versus the boots that way you could lead them too a location better suited for shot placement instead of them climbing your stand????

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I'll be following this thread, looking forward to hearing some results after this weekend.

I just created a mock Code Blue scrap, and this could be a nice addition to get deer into the area and to the scrap.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
From my observation this past weekend. I had it on my boots as I was walking in and then rubbed it on a few trees and stumps around my stand.
When the deer came in Saturday he came in and when he crossed my path he stopped sniffed around and then turned and followed my path. He stopped at the first tree I had rubbed Ever Calm on and smelled it for a moment. He then continuing in his orginal direction. It was very obvious that he was interested in the smell but not alarmed by it at all. He was very calm during the whole time.

Diablo54

Outside
My first evening using it I had 4 does walk by it. None of them seemed to care. But I do think it helped me last night as far as a cover scent. The drop tine buck was dead down wind and had no clue. But I also attribute that to smoke ;)

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Milo, would it be better too rub it on different vegitation on your way in versus the boots that way you could lead them too a location better suited for shot placement instead of them climbing your stand????

i think it works better on boots..y'all have to remember deer communicate by smell, sight and vocalizations. we are only appealling to scent. You need to think of this as something that says to the deer" other deer have been here and this is the path they took" its called evercalm for a reason. the smell the presence of other deer and feel "safe". i like leaving multiple small smell zones so it makes them check out each and every one...unlike a scrape..you should all realize also that deer don't have to have their nose directly in it. There is a great chapter in Roger Rothaar's book that helped me get over a couple of issues i never understood till now. This correlates to this setup.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I used it the 1st time last Friday when I shot my doe. I made a drag and when I got to my tower I hung the drag on a small tree that I smeared the scent on. The doe kept putting her head up and smelling the air. She crossed my walkin trail twice and was standing on it when I shot her. The 2 youngens spoked out for whatever reason and ran passed me and were milling around but no where near the drag I had hanging on the tree I smeared the Deer Herd Calm on. The doe was making a circle and I believe trying to get to the 2 youngens. She didn't make it.
Did it help I really don't know but it surely didn't hurt? I did smoke myself for the 1st time plus somewhat smoked the inside of my tower and left the smoker burn out on it's own setting in the corner.
Too early to tell on either the scent or smoker but I did get my 1st bow kill. Something came together.
Frank

Last edited:

gavennn

Smoke Does work. I have ordered my evercalm. i am looking forward to giving my testimonial

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The more I read this thread the more I want to buy some Evercalm scent.... and now, after Milo's post, the more I want to read Roger Rothaar's book.

MandRroofing

In the woods
I have been wanting to try this out for a long time,I get tired of all the diff products out there!I know there is no magic product out there but this makes sence.ordered!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Too early to tell on either the scent or smoker but I did get my 1st bow kill. Something came together.
Frank

It is TOO. We are your good luck charms! lol

I would agree with what many of you have said. The doe I killed last week was more relaxed than any deer I have ever killed. She stopped where I had turned to head to my tree. Not alarmed, just stopped to sniff.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks Phil. I must say I probaly have learned more fine points about deer hunting off this forum in the last 6-8 weeks than in the 44 yrs I have been deer hunting.
I have take over 50 deer since 1972 but I have picked up some great ideas here. Thanks to all and TOO.
Frank

It is TOO. We are your good luck charms! lol

I would agree with what many of you have said. The doe I killed last week was more relaxed than any deer I have ever killed. She stopped where I had turned to head to my tree. Not alarmed, just stopped to sniff.

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
That is what we like to here. I don't think there is anything on here that one of us doesn't know how to do also which comes in handy (not Cotty handy).

gavennn

We should start a book exchange. I know i got a few on the bookshelf that was recommended before.