Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

ever calm deer herd scent

swamp_donkey819

yea hicks, no worries, like he said some stuff works and some dont i wasted alot of money on products from tv just cause pro hunters said it works, lol yea come to find out there word aint best considering they hunt on ranches where the population of deer is up in the 1000`s and the deer are people friendly, thats why i ask for real reviews from real hunters that actually tried it. cause there is alot of gimmics out from companys just try tryin to make money

The place I was hunting the first year I used it (and ended up hunting most of the week I was there) was the closest decent tree I could get into nearest our sanctuary. The view from the stand overlooks a large CRP type field with our sanctuary to the North. Even though it is pretty thick around here deer usually pass through the actual stand site and head towards the sanctuary or come from other directions into it and they usually bed way to the North end, more than 100 yards away. The The first year I used it I simply rubbed it on trees and branches around my stand on the way in before daylight. Sure enough, does began working their way towards the sanctuary but passed directly downwind of the Deer Herd In a Stick/Evercalm. The lead doe turns and works her way right up and out into the CRP to take a look. The others followed and soon they began looking around and you could see all of them taking big whiff's of the scent. Those does ended up bedding there out in the CRP within about 50 yards of me that day and continued to keep coming around for days after. All the times I had set that stand in year's past they never bedded near me like that.

Later that week I had a real nice buck I named Wide Load come in. WL was on his way into the Big Holla and passed downwind of where the scent was freshened that particular morning. He stopped and made his way back but never presented a shot. Soon after as he kept looking up and out into the CRP, but seeing nothing, he ended up bedding down about 40 yards from me on a point that would keep him downwind of the scent.

After seeing WL watch the CRP and not see a deer I decided to place a doe decoy (actually was my 3D target :smiley_bril: ) out in front that next morning. Does made their way towards the sanctuary but spotted my decoy and made their way. In the past I had problems with does spotting the doe decoy and making a scene so I was questioning my sanity when I did not put the antlers on it. I had placed a couple of scent pads wiped with the DHIAS/Evercalm to the rear of the decoy using thumb tacks. Sure enough they came up to it and acted nervous, because of course it didn't move. Soon they circled it and by then got a good whiff of the scent. They slowly began to relax and some started feeding next to the decoy. Not long after they slowly walked off and bedded at the S end of the sanctuary which would have put them within 80 yards.

One other occasion my buddy used my "decoy" and I gave him the DHIAS/Evercalm and a couple pads. He set it up out in front of him one evening and not long had a small buck downwind. Soon the little guy came out into the field, sniffed the pads and then tried to mount the decoy. Knocked it over of course and stood there wondering. He walked off like nothing was wrong.

These are just a few of the examples where I feel the product helped change the odds into my favor. That and smoking up my clothing are some of the best kept secrets!

Last edited:

swamp_donkey819

seems like the stuff is workin, still not sure what everyone means by smoking up there clothes, but i think ill have to give it a try, just tried the wildgame innovations sugarbeet crush and it worked in one area but not another, could be a high traffic vs not so high traffic or just different deer not sure i moved it to another high traffic area placed more out see how that goes, ill get the evercalm and try it before season on some state land and see if it works. if it works there then its gotta be worth the money

MATDXT

Ohio
anyone every try the evercalm deer herd scent stick, watched a couple videos and it seems to work really well as an attractant and scent cover, wondering if anyone has ever used it and has comments about it.

I used this the first time on Oct.1. I put this on my boots while I walked into my treestand. It started to rain so I was putting up an umbrella above my treestand. When I was finished, I looked down and there stood a mature doe at 45 yards down wind. I know because, I ranged her on my range finder. I put the range finder back in my pocket, grabbed my bow off the hook, and shot this deer at 30 yards. She kept coming down the path. She kept looking up at me the hole time. After I shot her, 3 other does snortted at me, they were up wind.
I'M A BELIEVER !!!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
After Milo gave me his thumbs up approval, I tried some last year. I have used it each hunt this season. I would recommend one thing. When you get it, your spouse and kids will likely ask what it is. Describe it to them and then say "Here. Smell it. It smells just like deer bedding areas! It is amazing!" I say this because it will keep you from answering ridiculous questions in the future. They will just walk by, shake their head, and not pester you. lmao

buckstar25

T-county
Just saw this post, my buddy bought it and I laughed the while time he rubbed it on trees in front of his cameras. Like Hicks I was skeptical to say the least. After a week and pulling the card I couldn't believe what we saw, the deer just wouldn't leave. Every deer came by those trees and hung out for minutes in end. Like Milo we are going in 3 years using it, and I really have lost count at the deer that follow your tracks.

What we do is coat the inside upper edge I our totes, and the bottom of the lid. I have no doubt in the validity of the stuff, worth every penny in my opinion.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Milo told me about his luck with this stuff a couple of years ago. I've been meaning to try it ever since. Due to this thread I ordered some the other day and am looking forward to giving it a whirl. Do you rub it everywhere or just on your armpits?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Milo told me about his luck with this stuff a couple of years ago. I've been meaning to try it ever since. Due to this thread I ordered some the other day and am looking forward to giving it a whirl. Do you rub it everywhere or just on your armpits?

I am curious to where people put it. Boots and the tree you are in?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I just use it on my boots. Had a doe under 10yds stop right where I turned to walk toward my tree. She sniffed but never spooked until I slammed a Slictrick thru her heart! Smoked up and ever calm on my boots. She was very relaxed.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sweet! Sounds easy to use!
Anyone know how to light a Scent Smoker. Do you take it to the tree with you? Shouldn't we be making SS in camo so the deer don't see them? How do you put the burning wood out? Why do SS smash flat when you run them over with your truck?

Since you guys helped me out with this new deodorant, I figured I'd let you in on the most commonly asked questions regarding SS. :)

Buckmaster

Portage
Do you take it to the tree with you?
"Sure can. It adds a little more bulk to your pack."

Shouldn't we be making SS in camo so the deer don't see them?
"No, we specialize in making them in stainless with a mirror like finish. That way you can check your teeth for any food particles that may provide human scent....provided you still have teeth."

How do you put the burning wood out?
"You can pee in the can when done. That way it provides a good ammonia/ wood smoke scent. Disclaimer: Don't get your pee pee to close to the hot can."

Why do SS smash flat when you run them over with your truck?
"Specially formulated to prevent tire rupture and added expense."

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Nice! I can see you've done a little dealing with the public as well! :)

A guy from Indiana told me the other day they were going to burn corn because they didn't have many trees. My only response "Well, you try what you want, but I'd still use hardwoods like Hickory". "Let me know what you find"..... sheesh.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Forgot that I can also cover common customer complaints like: "The silver part gets hot" :)