Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hang On Stand

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ok fellas... looking for some pointers here. I've always used either ladder stands or climbers. I found a good deal on a hang on here locally and couldn't pass it up. It's kind of heavy, about 40 lbs, so what's the best way to hang this thing seeing that I'll be the only one up the tree. It seems like a one armed job with the other arm trying to put the ratchet straps on. Any pointers out there to make it an easy job?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
a safety belt with a linemans rope

That TOO. I take it as a given people have them because I have no idea how you hang stands without one. Oh wait, I do! I did it for years!!! A quality harness and lineman's belt is a must. The Muddys are badass...

Schu72

Streetsboro
Not sure about with a 40 lb stand, but with lighter ones I will screw in a tree step or a heavy duty wall anchor type ladder holder thingy :smiley_chinrub:, above where I want the stand, tie a rope around the stand, climb the tree, tie off with safety harness, loop rope over tree step/anchor and pull stand up. Tie off rope to tree branch, climbing stick or other. Now the stand is in the general position with the weight being supported by the anchor. Strap stand to tree.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
1 foot length of rope.. Carabiner or a big S hook on one end, big knot on the other..

Climb the tree with a ratchet strap. Put the strap around the tree 1 foot higher than you want the stand seat, making sure to put the rope under the strap where you want the stand to be. Basically ratchet strap the rope against the tree with the knot above the strap, caribener below..

Pull the stand up on a nice rope. (this is where a linemans strap is required so you can use both hands.)

Hook the carabener to the stand seat bracket whatever so it hangs there..

Secure the stand as normal to the tree....

Take of the ratchet strap holding the rope and unhook the carabener.

Wala.. one monster stand hung and your arms, back, and shoulders aren't about to fall off.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I put my sticks up and get them in place. Use my linesman harness to hold myself to the tree and wrap a ratchet strap around and hook it through the eye of the other hook. The hook that is now still open I hang my stand on until I can get the stand chain wrapped and hooked. Just make sure to take the extra hook and hook it on the outside of your seat bracket. I learned the hard way that if you hook it from behind the moment you wrap the chain and hook it your ratchet strap is now stuck lol.

I will hang mine this week and can take some pics if you want.

Just call me when you want to hang it. I'll go with you. Is it new or used? If it's someone's old one make sure to check all the bolts and cables out. Make sure nothing is rusted out. I usually dab a little kroil on all the bolts and anywhere it hinges before I put them out. Maybe it's just me but I don't want my seat making any noise when I'm trying to flip it up and get it out of the way to prepare for a shot.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Just call me when you want to hang it. I'll go with you. Is it new or used? If it's someone's old one make sure to check all the bolts and cables out. Make sure nothing is rusted out. I usually dab a little kroil on all the bolts and anywhere it hinges before I put them out. Maybe it's just me but I don't want my seat making any noise when I'm trying to flip it up and get it out of the way to prepare for a shot.

Problem solved!

Some good ideas on here though!

Buckslayer

*Supporting Member*
Jackson County
I tie a rope to my stand, throw it over a branch, then pull it up and tie it off if hanging alone. So much easier then trying to keep my balance and keep hold of the stand.

Matt

Norton, OH
Extra screw-in step, hang the stand by the seat. Best method is to make sure not to screw the step all the way in, then hang the stand past the actual step area, this way you can remove it.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Tie a 40ft(Double your climbing height)peice of rope to yourself..wherever..doesnt matter..tie rope to treeestand...attach treesteps and start climbing tree..at desired height dig into your pocket and pull out a pully ..attach it above your desired treestand height(see exhibit A)...put end of rope through pully..climb back down and pull treestand up with rope and pully system..it will go real easy...when treestand is at desired height tie it off so treestand stays up there..climb back up and afix treestand. Just make sure when your pulling it up ya aint banging it off treesteps...deer dont like that.

Exhibit A(minus bottom pully)

Last edited:

Matt

Norton, OH
Tie a 40ft(Double your climbing height)peice of rope to yourself..wherever..doesnt matter..tie rope to treeestand...attach treesteps and start climbing tree..at desired height dig into your pocket and pull out a pully ..attach it above your desired treestand height(see exhibit A)...put end of rope through pully..climb back down and pull treestand up with rope and pully system..it will go real easy...when treestand is at desired height tie it off so treestand stays up there..climb back up and afix treestand. Just make sure when your pulling it up ya aint banging it off treesteps...deer dont like that.

That seems like a heck of a lot more work then just tying off with a lineman's belt and pulling the stand up and holding it there with something... Just my opinion though.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Or you could drag one of your ladder stands too the tree you want too put the hang on into then hook it too the tree standing on the ladder stand...... if it's not high enough bring an extension ladder too put ontop of the ladder satnd...... :smiley_depressive: J/K on that last part rotflmao

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina

I seen this episode on the roadrunner show once..... Didn't work out too good for ole whiley. e. coyote..... Just sayin rotflmao I think the pulley system came from some company called acme......