Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How Long Have You Gone

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I shot at a deer on my first deer hunt back in 1990. It took me a decade before I finally killed my first deer in October of 2000. Since then, I've killed a deer every year with 2005 being the exception. That year I was living in Kent and played the picky game all season long. That season also marked what I consider to be my transformation from a causal hunter to a diehard. We picked up the farm in October of that year and the year before, I took my big 9 which really lit a fire in my ass. Since my first kill in 2000, I've filled buck tags in '03, '04, '08, and '10...

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Longest I went without a deer was 5 years back in the late 80's and early 90's when we could only kill one deer. I passed on does waiting for a buck. Probably went 7 years about that time without a buck.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
5 years for me too, and they were just prior to this season, 2005-2010. By far the worst 5 years of my life.

I killed my first doe when I was 14 in PA with a 30-06, and continued every year until 99. During college it was hit and miss and I killed my first buck, a tall 8 with the bow. Since moving back from SE Ohio, working, getting married, buying a house, hunting fell to the way side. I WAS GOING TO LOSE IT IF I DIDN'T KILL A DEER SOON......and finally I caught a break with 7min mistake:)

in the last 25 years I have gone 3 years between bucks 1 time and not taged a buck 2 or 3 other seasons
But mainly because I am picky

As for not tagging a deer period
I went 2 years 2 times early and probely 1 or 2 other years , but back in the 80's there were not the deer numbers we see now

Now I smack a meat doe or 2 and become picky with my buck

John

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I guess I have been very fortunate in the buck hunting department over the years looking back on things. I have taken a buck every year in Ohio since my first kill in 1988, and every year in Indiana since 1992, with many years of taking 2 bucks in Indiana (used to be a 2 buck state). I have also shot bucks in Michigan and Kansas.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I will have to check my old licenses to find out the first year I deer hunted, '01 and 02' gun season maybe, then with a compound bow from '03 on I believe. Not really die hard until '07 or so.

I think I might have had 2 or 3 seasons since '01 that I didn't at least harvest a doe. Only one nice buck to speak of though.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
2 consecutive seasons is my longest dry spell... Which happened to be my first two seasons deer hunting. I've been pretty fortunate since then. I think there's only been maybe two seasons since that I haven't killed at least one deer. Now, up until 2008 I had a streak of 3 years that I ate my buck tag. Last year I didn't get a buck, but I'm hoping not to make it 2 in a row!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Very cool thread! My longest dry spell was 7 years starting in 1995 after killing my first p&y OBB buck. I got picky passing on 2.5's thinking I'd get a shot at my next OBB with either bow,shotgun or muzzy!GUESS WHAT!!! DIDN'T HAPPEN!:smiley_blackeye: I held out till '02 then shot a 130" 10. I at first was pumped but later regretted it not because of his score but because he was so young(2.5) but his potential was off the chart. I remember those 7 years being frustrating because I was wanting to kill something with my bow but just wasn't willing to waste my tag on a small buck or doe! In those days I only bought one tag.

epe

Lancaster
I think mine is 3 or 4 years in almost 25 years hunting. Started when I was 12. I only started shooting does about 5 years ago. I can not think of a year I could not have shot one if I wanted to. I have gotten pickier on my bucks, and in doing so dad has too.