Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scent lok, scent blocker..worth it?

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I believe the smoke works for you guys...in fact I will put my hunting clothes in front of my wood burner occasionally to give them a little smoke flavor. It seems like more times than not when I have been scented by a deer it is a mature doe........them bitches are so smart. I haven't been busted by too many bucks that I'm aware of, but a 3.5 year or older doe is a wise critter.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I believe the smoke works for you guys...in fact I will put my hunting clothes in front of my wood burner occasionally to give them a little smoke flavor. It seems like more times than not when I have been scented by a deer it is a mature doe........them bitches are so smart. I haven't been busted by too many bucks that I'm aware of, but a 3.5 year or older doe is a wise critter.

100% agree Gern, I think it's just that they are so damn nosey... like some other women I've met! :smiley_crocodile:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I don't own any scent-lock clothing. When I shower,I do use the hunters soap, wash my camo in hunters soaps for scent control and all that stuff. Store my clothing like the rest of you. I TOO have stood in front of my pellet burner and gotten a little hard wood smoke on occasion but not to often. I hunt the wind. I do occasionally get busted but it always seems to be the old doe.

Sometimes I get busted because of movement. I've killed deer in a flannel shirt and I been busted in full camo...
Noon has mentioned breath. Our lungs put out a lot of cubic feet of air. Sometimes I'll have hard grape, apple or cherry candy. Other times its chew.
I also wonder about direct eye contact. I try to avoid that TOO. I think the feeling you get sometimes; that someone is watching you is strong w/ deer. I have been absolutely frozen and had a old doe stop in her tracks and after a moment turn her dead almost 90 degrees and up to look at me. I believe its the predator/prey thing.
O well... just my 2 cents.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I don't own any scent-lock clothing. When I shower,I do use the hunters soap, wash my camo in hunters soaps for scent control and all that stuff. Store my clothing like the rest of you. I TOO have stood in front of my pellet burner and gotten a little hard wood smoke on occasion but not to often. I hunt the wind. I do occasionally get busted but it always seems to be the old doe.

Sometimes I get busted because of movement. I've killed deer in a flannel shirt and I been busted in full camo...
Noon has mentioned breath. Our lungs put out a lot of cubic feet of air. Sometimes I'll have hard grape, apple or cherry candy. Other times its chew.
I also wonder about direct eye contact. I try to avoid that TOO. I think the feeling you get sometimes; that someone is watching you is strong w/ deer. I have been absolutely frozen and had a old doe stop in her tracks and after a moment turn her dead almost 90 degrees and up to look at me. I believe its the predator/prey thing.
O well... just my 2 cents.

HAHA the eye blinking thing drives me nuts. Sometimes if I have a close encounter with a deer that I know I'm not going to shoot, I close my eyes. I swear if I blink the bastard is going to bust me.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I had a mature doe potentially cost me a shot at a 160" buck last year.....he was following a few yards behind her when she caught wind of my scent rag that was sprayed with golden estrous......she didn't smell me, but she sure as heck wasn't going to lead that buck right toward another doe in heat. They were coming right down a trail headed my way and the wind just happened to be out of the SE that day.....a rare wind for late October.....she got into the scent trail and stopped, put her nose in the air, got wind of that estrous and then she turned 90 degrees and went west....of course the buck stayed right behind her.

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
Great topic.... We all know everyone gets busted by deer that they are watching or deer that are out of range and they don't even know they are there but I think if your ass smells i really don't think a scent lok suit with 2 teaspoons of charcoal is really going to absorb that oder.. Good shower prep and clothes washing goes along way in my opinion, smelling like a firepit i choose not too. JMO....
On a new added note, how is everyone hunting< ladder stand, climber, etc... How high are these stands if these deer are busting you?? Reason i ask that is i use alot of clamp on type stands with those 3' gorrilla sticks and i'm up at least 25' and same with my climber at least 30'... I try to get as high as possible just so they don't wind me....BUT you get too high and the shot becomes even further.. Remember the right triangles, and the famous Pythagoras Theorem defines the relationship between the three sides of a right triangle: a2 + b2 = h2 , Where a,b are the lengths of the the other two sides where h is the length of the Hypotenuse... JMTC

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I don't hunt out of ladder stands because I feel they stand out way too much in the deer woods and attract unwanted attention......I bought one this year to be able to take my kids out, but that's the only reason.... Normally I will hunt 18-22 feet high out of a hang on stand using screw in steps.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You must be about 8 ft tall to get "at least 25'" with 3 sticks.:smiley_chinrub:

He said 3' gorilla sticks... not 3 gorilla sticks... He didn't really say how many sticks he uses, just that they are each 3 ft long... Just sayin. At least, that's how I interpreted it.

Schu72

Streetsboro
He said 3' gorilla sticks... not 3 gorilla sticks... He didn't really say how many sticks he uses, just that they are each 3 ft long... Just sayin. At least, that's how I interpreted it.

My bad...and I must have read that post a dozen times. Funny how something can be right in front of your face and you don't see it. Sorry 8971, was just jokin' a little and looks like the joke is on me!

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
I think the higher the better... Just have to keep reminding myself that it keeps making the shot further and further. I made a rule long ago even with my bow over 300fps tha ti won't take a shot at a deer over 40yards regardles show big it is..
Excluding yotes and such.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
HAHA the eye blinking thing drives me nuts. Sometimes if I have a close encounter with a deer that I know I'm not going to shoot, I close my eyes. I swear if I blink the bastard is going to bust me.

TOO Funny...I do the same thing. I will turn my head and close my eyes hoping they dont see me. Like the guy in Grandmas boy..."How did he see me?" LOL

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
HA! TOO Funny.. I squint and try not to look directly at them.. I'm convinced they can feel it.

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
Oh they can definitely see your eyes.....don't let them see your eyes! I always squint too.

Too funny.... but hey if it works and yoru dropping big bucks keep up the good work.....

I came up with this little tool for some that may or may not need it...

TreeStand Angle.jpg

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I had a big mature doe bust me a couple years ago that her blowing ended up scaring off a decent buck before he got down to me... needless to say I got my revenge off the charcoal grill that night! Glad I'm not the only one worrying about the eyes either.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Too funny.... but hey if it works and yoru dropping big bucks keep up the good work.....

I came up with this little tool for some that may or may not need it...

View attachment 2661

Or you could buy that fancy rangefinder that calculates it for you.....

Excuse me Mr. 14 point buck......could you stay right there while I get my trusty calculator out and crunch some numbers! haha!