Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

killzone area

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I'm sure a few of the other guys here will tell you " imagine where the arrow will exit not where it goes in" If you do that it will help. As Schu said " It's a 3-D target " and you have to know where things are located in the path to the exit. It will help if you think about it and picture it looking just like the picture I posted.

Lessons learned make us better hunters. Good luck this fall.

swamp_donkey819

thanks ill keep that in mind, im trying to find some articles about what angle shots to take and what ones not to take, its 3rd year bowhunting for me so tryin to improve from last year. good luck to you to along with everyone else

Diablo54

Outside
Walk up to a 3d target with an arrow. Aim the arrow at different points and look at what all vitals the arrow will hit if you get a pass thru. Do this from all angles. The exit is just as important as the entrance.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Great game Beentown however I had to skybust a couple of em because they made me shoot lol...

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I suggest watching Major League Bowhunter and Heartland Bowhunter on the Sportsmans Channel if you can. Hands down, two of the best shows on TV right now IMO. One reason why is they will fess up to bad shots and I've seen them document what it takes to track a bad shot or ensure a miss. The MLB guys are doing a great job of teaching right now...

You can hit deer all kinds of places and kill them. You can also hammer one into the bread basket and come up empty handed. A one-lunged deer or even one that has a high double lung, can survive and/or leave a trail of misery. The biggest thing I can say about missing the kill zone, is when in doubt, back out. It's cliche now, but it's also the gospel. I had it cost me a P&Y 8 that would have been my first bow kill; never again!!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm sure a few of the other guys here will tell you " imagine where the arrow will exit not where it goes in" If you do that it will help. As Schu said " It's a 3-D target " and you have to know where things are located in the path to the exit. It will help if you think about it and picture it looking just like the picture I posted.

Lessons learned make us better hunters. Good luck this fall.

More great advice right there! "Aim for the exit" is a little mantra I run through my head when taking aim on deer. It helps me bare down on where I want my arrow/bullet to land...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
More great advice right there! "Aim for the exit" is a little mantra I run through my head when taking aim on deer. It helps me bare down on where I want my arrow/bullet to land...

I can't count the times I've aimed for the exit then noticed where my pin actually was and said to myself "That can't be right".. As soon as that thought enters my head, it's gone just as quickly. I know better.. It IS right.. Aim for the exit and you'll hit the vitals you were aiming for.

swamp_donkey819

i wish i had the sportsman channel i only got the outdoor channel still has good hunting shows but im not able to watch the ones your referring to. im gonna keep all this in mind and once a ever get around to getting my broadheads and new rest ill try to put it to use. if i would have found that doe it would have been my first kill. and the weird thing is once i hit that release it seemed like it took forever for that arrow to connect with heri thought it was a sure miss till i heard the smack and seen her jump and kick her back legs. i looked and the first chart that was posted and i think i found my mistake the shot i took was said in that chart to not be taken with a bow cause of hittin the shoulder blade, im thinking that could have been my problem but would it still have hit the lung enough to just make her bleed ?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The shoulder blade can be a mother when it comes to bowhunting. Yeah, you'll make her bleed. But rarely is a solid shoulder hit followed by a recovery. You need to be shooting a KE set-up and a bone tough broadhead to punch through a solid hit to the shoulder blade/knuckle. A lot of what happens after a shoulder hit depends on the ass behind that arrow and the angle it impacted. Many a deer have taken one in the shoulder and lived to tell about it. Just a spot you want to stay away from. If you hunt long enough, it's going to happen. Just a fact of life for a bowhunter. You just have to do your best to take out all the variables you can and make the best shot you are capable of being. The more we can do that, the better off we'll be. And when it happens, we gotta do our best to make sure we didn't kill the deer; then we need to learn from it and move on. Mistakes are often the best learning tools out there, so spend time evaluating what happened and make the most of a bad thing...

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
ive heard something like aim small hit small im guessing it has the same meaning, long as i dont have a shot like this one this year ill be happy, been practicing just about everyday

I like to aim for the deer's elbow. If I hit low, clean miss. If I nail it, heart shot done! If he or she jumps the string and ducks I am still hitting right behind shoulder. The buck I shot last year I aimed for his elbow at 27 yards. I watched him go down 70 yards from my stand. I have lost a couple deer in my time from hitting them too high. I would much rather miss low than hit too high. When you hit high, at least in my experiences, you have very little blood for tracking because it takes the chest cavity longer to fill up with the blood. Where as a low hit (see below) the deer is punping out blood constantly.

Attachments

• IMG_1083.JPG
    IMG_1083.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 162
i wish i had the sportsman channel i only got the outdoor channel still has good hunting shows but im not able to watch the ones your referring to. im gonna keep all this in mind and once a ever get around to getting my broadheads and new rest ill try to put it to use. if i would have found that doe it would have been my first kill. and the weird thing is once i hit that release it seemed like it took forever for that arrow to connect with heri thought it was a sure miss till i heard the smack and seen her jump and kick her back legs. i looked and the first chart that was posted and i think i found my mistake the shot i took was said in that chart to not be taken with a bow cause of hittin the shoulder blade, im thinking that could have been my problem but would it still have hit the lung enough to just make her bleed ?

You can catch Heartland bowhunter show online...Midwest whitetail can be a good online show to for great INFO

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Just to throw it out there...
You can check the local library and movie rental place. The ones in my home town have deer hunting DVDs and old VHS tapes.
The library was just like a book and sign em out. Some of the larger movie rental stores also carry hunting DVDs.

swamp_donkey819

ok ill check that, like i said i wanna use all the advice and info and help i can get so i can make this year better then my first 2 years of bow season. really hoping i can get a clean shot and finally get one with a bow this year. once i go to a 3-d shoot again ill try the aim for the exit idea so i can get a better idea of it and learn to be a smarter shooter instead of taking the first open shot i get.