Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

best broadhead for faster recovery

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
There is no real answer to that question IMO. A field point will kill a deer if it hits the right spot. (You might just know a guy who knows this first hand! LOL!!!) A fast recovery has little to do with the brand of broadhead on the end of your arrow, and nearly everything to do with where you place said broadhead. So are the Muzzys, Thunderheads, Rages, Spitfires, Grim Reapers, Montecs, and Tekans I have killed deer with over the years. Any head will do the job quickly and efficiently if you put it where it needs to be...

X2-

As for me; Muzzy Fixed Blade

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Fixed blade broadheads I have used and can recommend:

Muzzy
Thunderhead
Steelforce (the non-serrated ones, serrated whistled like hell through the air
Montec

Expandables:

Grim Reaper
Rocky Mountain Snyper
G-5 Tekan

There is only one broadhead that I vehemently try to steer people away from and that is the Spitfires. At the very least you need to know on a quartering away shot they have a good chance at deflection.

Beentown

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Fixed blade broadheads I have used and can recommend:

Muzzy
Thunderhead
Steelforce (the non-serrated ones, serrated whistled like hell through the air
Montec

Expandables:

Grim Reaper
Rocky Mountain Snyper
G-5 Tekan

There is only one broadhead that I vehemently try to steer people away from and that is the Spitfires. At the very least you need to know on a quartering away shot they have a good chance at deflection.

Beentown

I shot two deer with Scorpion XPs.. Basically the same thing except with an O-Ring.

Both standard double lung shots.. Both broadheads were destroyed. One of them broke in half between the shaft and the BH. Snapped the furrel in two pieces only the threads and a bit of the furrel remained on the arrow. The other Broke two blades, slammed one blade back through the furrel stop and split the tip of the shaft. The other two blades broke off.

The third one went in the garbage and I've never looked at another NAP broadhead.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I'll try to dig up the video but I shot a doe at a not quite severe, quartering away shot (I could still see her whole body, basically walking away towards 2 o'clock if 12 is straight away)... One blade opened and the arrow actually started tumbling after not penetrating. It was like I shot her with a big Judo point. When I found the BH it had one broken blade (the one that opened) and nothing else on it. Just as an example.

Beentown

lung buster

hocking county

Beentown
I have to agree on the spitfires. I had always used thunderheads and when spitfires came out I gave them a try. Bad mistake. I shot one with my compound and only one blade opened. Had a hell of a time finding the deer but did recover. I had a crossbow also back then and tried them with it too. I shot one and did not even get a pass through, didn't hit no bone the blades just didn't open! Never again! Went back to thunderheads until slick tricks came about. Been using them ever since and have zero complaints.

Diablo54

Outside

Junk spitfire

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Junk spitfire

Looks like it skipped down the ribs. While the wound looks horrific it does little to impress me on their killing power.... I would much prefer an actual entrance hole and save that KE for driving through vitals and exit. Not rib surfing.

Diablo54

Outside
Looks like it skipped down the ribs. While the wound looks horrific it does little to impress me on their killing power.... I would much prefer an actual entrance hole and save that KE for driving through vitals and exit. Not rib surfing.

Trust me i could care less about these broadheads. The deer went 75 yards.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I just picked up my Slick Trick Magnum's today at Cabela's. I was on the fence between those, Rage 2 blades, and Magnus Stingers. The stingers look badass, but in the end I decided to stick with what I used last year. They worked then, hopefully they work again. Plus, Jesse and Joe confirmed my thoughts. I had to give them a call for reassurance. Lol
Last year's kill was quick, but the blood trail was not so good. However, it was a low exit wound because of tyhe angle of the shot and I think it was plugged with fat.
Three years ago I used Spitfires and I watch the buck drop in front of me.
Two years ago, I shot a giant 10 with Spitfires and it was a pass through. The problem? The blades never opened and I never found the buck.
So, in the end, I decided against mechanical broadheads and stick withj a fixed blade that does truly fly like a field tip.

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
You will love slick tricks. I have been shooting them now for several years.

No matter the broadhead you use, shot placement is critical. I have learned through the years I would rather miss low than hit high. It seems like a high hit results in very little blood and therefore can make it extremely hard to track. Therefore, when shooting at a deer I always aim just above the deer's elbow. This way if it doesn't jump the string, I hit heart. If it does jump the strong I hit square in the lungs directly behind shoulder.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I think the more accurate question is which broadheads fly better. as its been stated, any broadhead will do the job as long as its put in the right spot. but if the broadhead isnt balanced right and isnt matched to the arrow you lose accuracy.
I use muzzy three blade, the fly good and arent expensive.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've had great success with G5 Tekan IIs in the past. For a mechanical, they're about as durable as they come. The rages definitely open up big holes, but they're lack of toughness is enough to steer me away. My brother shoots Slick Trick 100s and he's a big fan of them. I started shooting Steel Force Phatheads last season and they've really impressed me. The blades are .080" thick, which is nearly double the thickness of most other broadhead blades on the market. They fly like darts out to 50 yds, are scary-sharp right out of the package, and are incredibly tough. I shot a doe with one last year that didn't make it 35 yds before piling up. I think I may try the Phathead SOBs this season.

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
Been using muzzy 4 blades for 2 years and haven't had any trouble. They fly diff than field points but once you are sighted in they fly true. No moving parts, no breaking down. They are bad ass. That said, if I hear one more thing about slick tricks I might buy a few to fling at ol mossy this season.

Kaiser878

ohio
Everyone knows what I shoot.. I dont need to chime in.. but if I were gonna shoot a fixed blade it would be a montec