Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

best broadhead for faster recovery

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Fixed blade, i've never had trust in expandables, i've heard good and bad about them. But i've never heard of a fixed blade "not opening". Just my .2

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Brode man. It's not the slick tricks fault you had to shoot that deer 3 times then i had to chase it down and strangle it. lol... You've been working on your shooting so I don't think you'll have any issues double lunging them this year. Now Kaleb on the other hand.. We'll, lets just pray he carries more arrows.

turkey_slayer67

ray ohio
bud right now im drilling tacs with my bowtech i should not hav no problem atall on double lungin a deer ths year...an ya caleb he needs to just giv up a coumpound an go back to a crossbow

bud right now im drilling tacs with my bowtech i should not hav no problem atall on double lungin a deer ths year...an ya caleb he needs to just giv up a coumpound an go back to a crossbow

If your shooting that good..There is no reason a slick trick wont work well..Hell a slick trick Grizz trick 2 is 1 1/4inch 4 blade..That 2.5in of cutting going on..If that aint enough you might wanna give up shooting arrows at game

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
:smiley_confused_vrashould i go with fixed blade or expandables for faster recovery this year?

There is no real answer to that question IMO. A field point will kill a deer if it hits the right spot. (You might just know a guy who knows this first hand! LOL!!!) A fast recovery has little to do with the brand of broadhead on the end of your arrow, and nearly everything to do with where you place said broadhead. I shoot Slick Tricks and they are some deadly SOB's. So are the Muzzys, Thunderheads, Rages, Spitfires, Grim Reapers, Montecs, and Tekans I have killed deer with over the years. Any head will do the job quickly and efficiently if you put it where it needs to be...

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
There is no real answer to that question IMO. A field point will kill a deer if it hits the right spot. (You might just know a guy who knows this first hand! LOL!!!) A fast recovery has little to do with the brand of broadhead on the end of your arrow, and nearly everything to do with where you place said broadhead. I shoot Slick Tricks and they are some deadly SOB's. So are the Muzzys, Thunderheads, Rages, Spitfires, Grim Reapers, Montecs, and Tekans I have killed deer with over the years. Any head will do the job quickly and efficiently if you put it where it needs to be...

Agreed.

I've shot Rages for years and Slick Tricks last year and both put the smack down when the shot is placed in the bread basket.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Ha.. what... huh... :smiley_angel:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I think so far they've hit the nail on the head.... Shoot what you're comfortable with regardless of the type of head... All will kill deer but archery is a lot mental and if you're comfortable shooting X-brand head then shoot away....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
anyone got opinions on the rage 2 blades, thinkin bout trying those this year or the montecs, used muzzy and always had good luck thought about a different blade this year

I don't care for em. You get the same surface cut out of a 4 blade slick trick.

swamp_donkey819

ive always been to worried about non deployment which is why i always used muzzy, but alot of people tell me that rage is "supposedly" the most reliable expandable blade out there

swamp_donkey819

also thought about the carbon express f-15 fixed blades i tried the look-a-like carbon express ones and they had a lot of blood spill, but was a misplaced shot and never recovered the deer

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
ive always been to worried about non deployment which is why i always used muzzy, but alot of people tell me that rage is "supposedly" the most reliable expandable blade out there

I killed 6 deer with them and saw every one fall. It did the most damage I have ever seen to a 6.5 year old buck after breaking a rib on the way in AND the way out. With that being said, it is still a mechanical broadhead that can, and will fail at some point. I made the switch to Slick Tricks in order to eliminate a variable in my set-up. I trust the ST's to never fail, I did not trust the Rages 100% because I knew in the back of my head it was only a matter of time. Yes, they are a great broadhead. But it was time for a change for me...

swamp_donkey819

nice, well thats enough proof that they do work good, but also like you stated being an expandable broadhead at one point they will fail, i watched som reviews on the f-15 fixed blade and non had anything bad to say about them, might go with them never tried the slick trick ones yet