Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Filming question for people smarter than this guy

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Didn't want to hi-jack Rutin's thread on this question so figured I put it here...

I tinkered around for a few seasons filming some hunts and have just got around to the process figuring out how to transfer my miniDV tapes to the home pc. The problem I'm up against right now, is that the camcorder has a firewire port. From what I've tried (bought a usb multi-cable w/ firewire at Best Buy), the firewire to USB connection doesn't seem to work on my pc. I have some good footage from a North Dakota duck hunting trip I'd like to put on and edit, but I'm a dumb azz when it comes to this stuff.

Looking for any insight you guys may have. Probably the best advise will be to buy a newer model camcorder, but that's just not in the funds right now.

Thanks!

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
You may need an editing software to load it to... the firewire into a usb should work.... If not then you may not have buy a firewire control board for your computer, I actually have a brand new one I dont use bc my new computer had one already.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Thanks Rutin.

I'm gonna stop by Micro Center today and see what they have available. A few people I talked to at Radio Shack & the Apple Store yesterday suggested going there. They all knew what I was trying to get at, just none of them stock anything that I could use to help get the video from point A to point B. One of the guys said that Micro Center carries a firewire to USB converter? We'll see. Then I'll probably have to find the compatable software. Hopefully I can get it figured out becasue I'd like to film some stuff again this fall.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
yes. You will need a firewire to usb converter. Or an add on card for firewire. The question for USB vs Firewire will depend on what firewire port is on the cam.. Is it Firewire 400 or 800.... USB 2.0 is 480 mbs. Firewire 4 is 400 mbs.. So if it's a firewire 4 port the most you'll get with usb or firewire is 400..

BUT.. If it's a firewire 800 port in the cam you don;t want to convert the connection to USB 2.0 because firewire 800 gets 800 mbs.. Converting it to usb 2.0 will slow down you r transfer to 480 mbs (max for usb 2.0)

If it's a firewire 8 port on the cam, seriously consider the add on firewire card in your PC because it's double the speed of usb.. If it's firewire 400. Just go USB and you'll not loose anything.