Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flint

Blog Entries

Flint

What does flint look like?
    How do you find it?
    How big do you usually find it?

I could Google it I'm sure but I'm feelin' lazy, plus I'd like to hear some tips/experiences from people who know...

America does not have a gun problem. America has a culture and media problem.

I find flint in the fields but they are usually smaller then a golf ball. It can vary in color but most of what I find is gray. It has a smooth look to it, where it is broken it looks flaked or faceted.

There are places in southern ohio where you can get big pieces of it.

*Co-Owner - Admin* bowhunter1023's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Where's Hoot when you need him?!?
    "And a country boy is all I'll ever be..."

Live to hunt. Hunt to live. It's just how I live...

Quote Originally Posted by Ohiosam View Post
    I find flint in the fields but they are usually smaller then a golf ball. It can vary in color but most of what I find is gray. It has a smooth look to it, where it is broken it looks flaked or faceted.

There are places in southern ohio where you can get big pieces of it.
    This is also my experience. Additionally, you can take two pieces of flint and strike them together and it should create a spark. This can also be accomplished with a piece of steel and a piece of flint. I can remember spending hours as a kid going through my parents driveway searching for flint...of course at that time I wanted to be an Indian when I grew up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah Johnson View Post
    This is also my experience. Additionally, you can take two pieces of flint and strike them together and it should create a spark. This can also be accomplished with a piece of steel and a piece of flint. I can remember spending hours as a kid going through my parents driveway searching for flint...of course at that time I wanted to be an Indian when I grew up.
    I did too, then the whole riding a horse with no underwear kind of bothered me.....LOL
    I go to bow shoots to shoot trees. The targets are way too easy to hit....I HATE TREES

Quote Originally Posted by rgecko23 View Post
    I did too, then the whole riding a horse with no underwear kind of bothered me.....LOL
    Yeah, ugh, I never thought about that. Haha!

*Supporting member II* DJK Frank 16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rgecko23 View Post
    Ouch! They must have had brass balls!

Blog Entries
    Would you find it in stream beds?

Quote Originally Posted by Dannmann801 View Post
    Would you find it in stream beds?

I believe you can find it anywhere.

Flint is located north west of Detroit. Roughly 3-4hours north of the state line depending on traffic.
    This is my BEC. http://livecam.buckeyecam.com/lcamer...etf50&camera=1
    Sorry, my BEC is now private, some fuckwads wanna gravy train. PM me if you want the password.

*Supporting member II* DJK Frank 16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swantucky View Post
    Flint is located north west of Detroit. Roughly 3-4hours north of the state line depending on traffic.

I have found pieces the size of my thumb nail in open field type areas but I would think stream beds would also offer small samples.
    What do you need it for?
    There's Plenty Of Room For All Gods Creatures. Right Next to The Mashed Potatoes.

Open fields are your best bet. If you find flakes and pieces that have a bulb of percussion, it proves that they were struck by human hands which is pretty cool if you ask me.
    With a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor.
    You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass. - Isoroku Yamamoto

Quote Originally Posted by swantucky View Post
    Great reply swantucky.

Like CJD asked Dan, what ya got planned with the flint??
    Keep It Too The Right And Drill Baby Drill!!!!!

*Supporting member* jagermeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Open fields are your best bet. If you find flakes and pieces that have a bulb of percussion, it proves that they were struck by human hands which is pretty cool if you ask me.
    This may be a dumb question, but what do you mean by "bulb of percussion?" I find flint in fields pretty often... I'd probably keep more of it if I knew what I was looking at LOL.
    "Keep your mouth shut, and your ears open."

When I was younger I used to go arrowhead hunting with my grandparents. We used to have coffee cans full of flint in the sheds and garages. It's quite plentiful on the eastern side of the state.
    Bad decisions make good stories.

Quote Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
    This may be a dumb question, but what do you mean by "bulb of percussion?" I find flint in fields pretty often... I'd probably keep more of it if I knew what I was looking at LOL.
    Here is the scientific definition:
    In lithic analysis, a subdivision of archaeology, a bulb of applied force (also known as a bulb of percussion or simply bulb of force) is a defining characteristic of a lithic flake. When a flake is detached from its parent core, a portion of the Hertzian cone of force caused by the detachment blow is detached with it, leaving a distinctive bulb on the flake and a corresponding flake scar on the core. Bulbs of applied force may be distinctive, moderate, or diffuse, depending upon the force of the blow used to detach the flake, and upon the type of material used as a fabricator. Generally, the harder the material used as a fabricator, the more distinctive the bulb of applied force.
    In other words, look for what you see in the pic below. The bulb is at the area of impact. Try it with the bottom of your next empty beer bottle.
    With a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor.
    You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass. - Isoroku Yamamoto

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverdude View Post
    Great reply swantucky.

Like CJD asked Dan, what ya got planned with the flint??
    Oh, I'm familiar with Flint MI....once had a short-lived but steamy friendship with a woman there. Yee Haw!

What am I going to do with it? see if I can spark it to start a fire. It's on my list of things to do so I can say I've done 'em....

*Supporting member* jagermeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Here is the scientific definition:

In other words, look for what you see in the pic below. The bulb is at the area of impact. Try it with the bottom of your next empty beer bottle.
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Yea, clear as mud. Just kidding, man... thanks for the explanation!
    "Keep your mouth shut, and your ears open."

I've got some chunks if you can't find any out your way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast