Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Trophy Cam Users

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I really don't have much to add. I love mine. 1 year battery. Good triger....Some of my recent Pict's. on the "What can I expect" thread.
Only neg. and a minor one and been mentioned. Night - to - day slightly elongated w/ some whit wash. No big deal or deal breaker in my book. Movies are a little grainy but I stay w/ the photos mostly.

I have not tried the MP setting but maybe I will. I've stayed on MP because I can enlarge the photo and still have crisp quality.

I plan on getting another 1 or 2 this year. Very happy with it.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I think they made a "Bear Safe" that would protect the whole camera instead of the P lock.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Anyone have a connection too do that? I'd be interested.....

I used to know the midwest regional rep and could buy them for $75 a piece..... he retired last year though.... or I would buy another 10 myself lol. They do make lock boxes also as someone mentioned. Check out camlockboxes.com they sell camera boxes for every camera on the market. Heres a quick pic of one of my camera boxes.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I'm in if we're gonna get a group deal going. I've been looking at these for a while now, and I'm ready to pull the trigger.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have been digging and I cannot find the direct line of my contact at Optics Planet. I may try to call in and ask for "Rich". Long shot, but worth a try.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Let's see where we can buy in at. I wrote down a list and it looks like at least 10 cameras. If we can get them around $125 I would buy a couple more and my buddy I hunt with could be easily persuaded which would bring us to minimum 14.

It looks like $149 shipped on ebay like Schu bought in at is still available. Honestly, I am thinking with 10-15 cameras ordered we should be able to do a little better, but $125 might be a stretch. The margins on these are slim. If I had to guess $135-145 is probably as good as we will do, but hopefully I am wrong.

There are some variables you guys might think about. The prices I am talking about are most likely going to be brown, no picture viewer, 8MP cameras. Start adding options and they jump up in price. I did some research on the 2011 models and while they are still being advertised at "1yr battery life" the trail camera review websites are talking 2-3mo is reality. That said, they revamped some things and added some options such as video with sound and an option to view fields which enables a setup similar to the Plot Watcher camera. Personally, I am not really worried about video with sound or plot watcher options. I think for the sake of consistency we should just consider the bulk purchase for the standard camera with no viewer or video w/sound. This is what most of us are used to with the cameras we already have and would eliminate any disappointments or upset guys in the buying group. Prior to a group/bulk purchase I think the most important thing is that we are all on the same page.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Wasn't the 2-3 mo. battery based on Re-chargeable battery's?
Not the Lithium like we use to get the 1 year run time ?

BTW- I'm fine w/ the basic unit you spoke of above.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Personally, I am not really worried about video with sound or plot watcher options. I think for the sake of consistency we should just consider the bulk purchase for the standard camera with no viewer or video w/sound. This is what most of us are used to with the cameras we already have and would eliminate any disappointments or upset guys in the buying group. Prior to a group/bulk purchase I think the most important thing is that we are all on the same page.

Agreed! Basic camera for me works just fine.

I'll also talk to two of the guys I bowhunt with to see if they're interested in a bulk buy TOO.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Wasn't the 2-3 mo. battery based on Re-chargeable battery's?
Not the Lithium like we use to get the 1 year run time ?

BTW- I'm fine w/ the basic unit you spoke of above.

Maybe I better re-read this one. I think it did mention something about re-chargeables. Maybe I am throwing out more confusion than needs to be. If this is the case, then the newest model would be an even better buy. Video w/sound, and Plot Watcher type capabilities, while still getting close to a year on batteries does sweeten the deal.

I guess this would make it just the basic unit with no viewer then.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Maybe I better re-read this one. I think it did mention something about re-chargeables. Maybe I am throwing out more confusion than needs to be. If this is the case, then the newest model would be an even better buy. Video w/sound, and Plot Watcher type capabilities, while still getting close to a year on batteries does sweeten the deal.

I guess this would make it just the basic unit with no viewer then.

I thought only the new "HD" version, with the invisible IR flash, was the only model with sound and time-lapse settings. The HD model is considerably more expensive than the standard 8 mp camera.