Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Baby's Droping

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Dang. Went out to brush hog a field we call the "air strip" last evening. Mowing in 1st gear, I had to slam on the breaks on the tractor because a little fawn (with a body about the size of a large beagle and just a head taller,) jumped up from right in front of the tractor. It could walk but missed the front end by only 5-6 foot. It kinda dashed into the prickers/red brush. Very mahogany brown w/ the spots. Now I've hit some lower food chain critters before but never a fawn.

I would have felt really bad.
Grass was almost knee high in the path I was mowing. First pass this year.
Gotta look out for "big blue" Usially by mid summer, the adults will just stand off in the tall stuff and watch me make a lap or two. They get use to it.

Huckleberry Finn

That's a pretty cool thing to see, I've never seen a fawn in the spring, just young ones in the fresh cut hay come June and July.

I'm sure momma was close! Keep them coyotes down and the young'un will be just fine.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I found tracks you could cover with a quarter while walking pipeline Friday. Pretty cool to see such small tracks.

I've known a couple people to brushhog over fawns or get them during first cutting of hay. Not a pretty sight...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good to know. Glad you missed it. I was close one time on the quad last year. Just putting along on the quad, but that thing jumped up and scared the poop out of me.

badger

*Supporting Member*
My buddy sent me this pic from Kellys Island yesterday. I didn't get a chance to call or text him back.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Badger- Thats the size right there.
can't be more than a week old if not a couple days.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Well I went back to the area a couple days later (last night)and dang if I diden't find the little deer. It was very cool to see.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I always love the...If I don't move you can't see me tactic lmao

Very cool pics CJD. Thanks for posting them up for us :D.

We watched a baby bunny that night pull the same tactic. got about 8 foot from him TOO.
My wife loves to go for rides in the elect golf cart. Most critters stay put till your almost on top of them...
The "If I don't move you can't see me tactic" always makes me smile!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Does a mom care if a fawn has human scent on it? Just wondering. I know that it's not true for birds.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I don;t think they care. We caught one that a mom dropped inside a baseball field.. When we pulled up she jumped the fence and stood by the woods. We caught the fawn and put her over the fence. She went over to the mom and off they went.