Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wet spring = Late planting

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Nothin' going on yet at either of the spots close to home that I hunt.... we'll see what happens by this weekend.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Is this a weed killer?

Yes. It is a broad spectrum herbicide that kills just about anything and is the main ingredient in RoundUp. The company that created RoundUp, designed and patented glyphosate. It's the shit when it comes to killing weeds...

People are really starting to turn dirt like mad down here. Still no work on the ground closest to the farm, but they put in beans across the road from us this weekend. So if nothing else, there will be some quality forage close to home...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
So using that stuff, do you have to use special seed? Like how they have "roundup ready" corn?

Yes, if the plan is to spray after planting. The same company developed a genetic strain of grains and soy that are resistant to RoundUp. Not sure there are deer specific plantings that are RoundUp resistant. You can buy Slay and Arrest for use on food plots. Slay controls broadleaf weeds and Arrest controls grasses.

For what you need to do, RoundUp is the way to go. I'd hit it mid-July, give it a week, turn the dirt, wait a week, spray again, wait a week, then drag, plant, pack. I rarely follow that method, but that's the way to roll...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If you want to go one step farther, then mow it now. Mow it again in a month. Wait a week or two and then do what Jesse suggested. You will have more even weeds/grasses you are spraying this way and less to work into the soil. The shorter stuff will die off and be good for the soil as you till it under. It is just easier to get an even kill if it is 6" vs 3' tall.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
If you want to go one step farther, then mow it now. Mow it again in a month. Wait a week or two and then do what Jesse suggested. You will have more even weeds/grasses you are spraying this way and less to work into the soil. The shorter stuff will die off and be good for the soil as you till it under. It is just easier to get an even kill if it is 6" vs 3' tall.

Yep. What he said...

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Well the way it's looking a lot of corn went in the ground after Memorial Day. Unless we just have a prefect growing conditions for summer and fall you can expect lots of corn in the fields during gun season.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
This was the latest reports I could find. Do you have any newer stats Sam ?

As of Sunday June 5th, corn was 58 percent planted, which was 39 percent behind last year and 41 percent behind the five-year average.
Corn emerged was 21 percent, compared to 86 percent last year and 88 percent for the five-year average. Twenty-six percent of soybeans
were planted, which was 51 percent behind last year and 62 percent behind the five-year average. Nine percent of soybeans were emerged,
compared to 62 percent last year and 67 percent for the five-year average. Winter wheat headed was 97 percent, compared to 95 percent
last year and 96 percent for the five-year average. Five percent of wheat was turning color, seven percent behind last year and two percent
behind the five-year average. Sixty-nine percent of the oats were planted, compared to 100 percent for both last year and the five year
average. Fifty-five percent of oats were emerged, compared to 95 percent last year and 98 percent for the five-year average. Oats headed
were reported at 3 percent, 20 percent behind last year and 22 percent behind the five-year average. The 1st cutting of Alfalfa hay was 41
percent complete, 20 percent behind last year and 18 percent behind the five-year average. Other hay 1st cutting was 31 percent complete,
compared to 45 percent for both last year and the five-year average.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I talked to the farmer I know best last week. He said they finished up last Wednesday with everything. I was impressed. They were rocking and rolling. They were the ones that got some of it in when the conditions were questionable. Those fields have corn over a foot tall right now. Some near 18". I think they planted the fields closest to where I hunt first. Hopefully it is the first to come down too. lol

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Out where I hunt the corn is about 8 inches tall and the beans only a couple inches.

If you guys don't have your strategies around beans early and corn late you're going to be missing the train to happy hunting town. Scope those bean fields hard come September and pay attention to where and when those dudes come out. Move in day 1 and try to dump him.. I think we'll have a short window before the beans turn and they move into the corn not to be see until pre-rut.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
If you guys don't have your strategies around beans early and corn late you're going to be missing the train to happy hunting town. Scope those bean fields hard come September and pay attention to where and when those dudes come out. Move in day 1 and try to dump him.. I think we'll have a short window before the beans turn and they move into the corn not to be see until pre-rut.

Yep

BTW I was talking to a friend who is a horticulturalist with OSU Extension and he said they a seeing lots of anthracnose in oaks, especially white oaks. After last year's big acorn crop and this year's disease problems the chances of another big acorn crop are slim.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yep

BTW I was talking to a friend who is a horticulturalist with OSU Extension and he said they a seeing lots of anthracnose in oaks, especially white oaks. After last year's big acorn crop and this year's disease problems the chances of another big acorn crop are slim.

This could be a good thing actually. Just find a tree with some acorns and you are set.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
This could be a good thing actually. Just find a tree with some acorns and you are set.

If the millions of squirrels don't cross every county road, state Route, highway and interstate to get to them first... Those roving hordes of squirrels can wipe out a single producing oak in minutes.