Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Turkey Season Live Update

lung buster

hocking county
Anyone else notice that turkey hunting sounds like a better idea at 8 PM then it does at 4AM?
Not bad for me. I'm on midnights,lol. Now if I'm still at it during weeks 2 3 4 then 8 o'clock will sound better! Waiting on my relief to get here at 0500 and I'm headed for the woods. Good luck all and be safe!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
neighboring farm must have messed with these birds durring youth. Not one gobble in the tree or on the ground this morning.

deerburger

*Supporting Member*
Sitting in the blind with 1hornwilly. Seen one hen come in, no gobblers. We keep hearing one a ways away though. Waiting for him to come get a closer look at the decoy. Great morning so far.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Here's my dads bird. Better pic to come. 1" spurs, 10" beard.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Congrats JPN, Lonnie's grandson, and Cotty's dad! Keep 'em coming fellas, make this work day go a little faster! Best of luck and be safe to everyone in the field this morning!

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Congrats to your dad mike!

Nothing for me this morning and now at work hoping to get through the day by seeing harvest pics and stories...

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
Smoked this dude at 7:11 am. This is the bird I have been watching since the 1st. Around 6:45ish I had hens fly down on both sides of me, watched for one to be a tom and nothing, no gobbles. I had 2 hens approach my hen decoy and start puttin. They relaxed but I wasnt because they were 10 yards from me. Then bam, right behind me I heard a gobble. I think he may have gobbled 5 or so times then the hens started clucking. The hens stuck around until the tom skirted me and poped out about 60 yards away to my right. They took off and passed my decoy but the Tom met them half way. He got behind some bushes and looked like the hens were draggin him off. NOT TODAY B*TCHES, 3 shots later lmao and running into some briars and nearly falling in a creek I ended up with this.

22lbs, 9 inch beard, 3/4 inch spurs I think, gotta go re-measure them.

Lets go Joe, hang in there.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Way to go guys. Hahahaha. Alex. Three shots! Lol... The highlight of my morning has been two fox squirrels the size of cats chasing in the tree I'm leaning on. One fell I would guess 60 feet and plopped about 10 feet to my front. He kind of kicked, went limp, shook a little then got up and walked around stumbling. He wandered off somewhere. I was holding back laughing so hard I think I pulled an ab muscle.

No gobbles on the roost, none on the ground. They're here somewhere. Its only like 100 acres of woods. I wonder if the neighbor took his grandson out yesterday.

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
Me and Deerbuger tried to light up the scoreboard again after taking our first time hunter last week. She scored last week in a matter of 20 mintues...this week...just two hens hanging out around our deek. Heard a longbeard at about 250 yards away, but we couldn't get him to close the distance. Oh well, next time. Nice work to all the brothers who are shooting birds in the face today! Well done...

Huckleberry Finn

Just got in (it started to rain).

Got started a little later than I would have liked TOO this morning, but got there with enough time. Sat and sat and didn't call much or hear much at all. I did get excited to have a hen call back to me at one point and I bitched the sob that was tresspassing...really? fugger. So I had a poptart and went into the field to adjust one of my decoys and when I did I saw the flock headed across the field at a little over 100 yards. I snuck back into woods and went to the corner (up 20 yards from my decoys) and sat tight for an hour as they worked their way across the field. Prolly a dozen birds. I called a little bit but didn't get a thing in response. They worked their way back into the crp where they came and I sat and got a little more aggressive with my calling. I did have 2 jakes, almost completely silent come up to the edge of the woods, no more than 10 yards away from me. I debated blasting one, but I didn't know if they rest of the flock would come out after them. The spooked for some reason and flew across the crp. I went back to my decoys and sat a while with a little calling and then decided it was time to call it a morning.

Headed back to the same spot in the morning with my buddy. We'll set the blind close to the corner and put decoys out in the crp path and in the open field. The birds are VERY quiet and still very much henned up, so we'll see.

Pretty good to call in 2 stupid teenagers and not get too wet! We'll call that a good hunt!