Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How many guys believe that there is a walking World Record buck in OH

That was a good one... but I've heard that buck got hit by a car... don't know if there's any truth to that or not, though. There are a lot of rumors surrounding that deer.

I'd say there are definitely several world record class bucks walking around in Ohio. The suburbs and parks all around the state could certainly hold some giants, but there are also a few Sandusky Bay marshes that hold monsters. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the next record book deer was a swamp buck. There are 1000s of private duck club acres up there that are crawling with booners. Remember that 200+ incher from Sandusky County last year?... that was a swamp buck.
:smiley_chinrub:That theory seems realistic to me
ya gotta believe, brother, ya gotta believe.
This is what I need to say to myself when that alarm goes off at 4am.. After sitting from sun up to sun down multiple days prior..

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I think there might be, but I don't think it's within 100 miles of any treestands of mine. Hopefully one of you guys will find out.

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio
That was a good one... but I've heard that buck got hit by a car... don't know if there's any truth to that or not, though. There are a lot of rumors surrounding that deer.

I'd say there are definitely several world record class bucks walking around in Ohio. The suburbs and parks all around the state could certainly hold some giants, but there are also a few Sandusky Bay marshes that hold monsters. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the next record book deer was a swamp buck. There are 1000s of private duck club acres up there that are crawling with booners. Remember that 200+ incher from Sandusky County last year?... that was a swamp buck.

I had my first experience with a swamp buck last year. Got one picture of him and didn't hunt that area till the rut. I put one of our guys on him with me behind the camera. Even though he only scored 138 7/8 he was right at 300lbs on the hoof. I heard stories of 300lb deer but haven't personally seen one till this guy. You always here people say "that deer was huge, it was pushing 300lbs" well, untill you actually see one, you have no idea what a 300lb whitetail looks like. I now love hunting swamp bucks and hopefully this year we can put another 300lber down in the swamp.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
How many guys believe that there is a walking World Record buck either Non Typical or Typical, P&Y or B&C in this state right now?

That would mean it would have to beat these scores:
P&Y
Typical..........204 4/8
Non Typical...294 0/8

B&C
Typical...........213 5/8
Non Typical....322 4/8s

Pope and Young, maybe.

Boone and Crockett, no way.

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
I think there is a good possibility that there is one , but as far as it being killed by a hunter I don't know, it seems most of the ones you hear about in my area are either in a state park, ( Salt Fork), or are on property that cannot be hunted, on a side if anyone is out and about this late summer or early fall and wants to see some huge deer swing by salt fork state park golf course and take a ride, there is some monsters there that aint shy!

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
The only way it will happen is if the buck lives in an area of light to NO hunting pressure...For me personannly, I dont want to kill a buck under such conditions..I want that son of a bitch hunted from the day his ass was born:smiley_bril:...I wanna kill warriors that have survived a lifetime making hunters look like fools..not vice versa.:smiley_bril:.

Hey fellows..sorry for cussin but im on my 6th Natural ice ..and im in wanna them moods.. lol

Last edited:

Diablo54

Outside
The only way it will happen is if the buck lives in an area of light to NO hunting pressure...For me personannly, I dont want to kill a buck under such conditions..I want that son of a bitch hunted from the day his ass was born:smiley_bril:...I wanna kill warriors that have survived a lifetime making hunters look like fools..not vice versa.:smiley_bril:.

Hey fellows..sorry for cussin but im on my 6th Natural ice ..and im in wanna them moods.. lol

I thought natty ice was for poor college kids.lmao

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

I think a ghost which has eluded hunters for years is like a mythical creature. We know they exist, but might only see one once a decade or so? I saw one last year. Several hundred yards away during bow season dogging some does in the field. I know there was a monster that drowned in a pond on New Year's Eve when it fell through the ice approximately a mile away. 6" bases on him but I never saw the pictures. I hope it was a different deer. A deer of this caliber would fit this description in my opinion Mountaineer. I am curious if he was ever seen by another hunter last year during the season. He was in a pretty remote field that was isolated from the roads, but there is hunting pressure in there. Not like where you hunt with hundreds of guys pushing the public land, but not devoid of hunters either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stressless

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Hicks..

Here's how i see it....I think a buck to reach such status he must live in a world where he is rarely or never seen by hunters or even humans...Once a big buck has been seen by hunters or anyone..he becomes talked about and eventually becomes a target by hunters and poachers...In that type of existence, it becomes hard for him to grow old enough to reach such a status.

I personally seek areas so remote that it becomes possible for bucks to do what they have to do in their lives and to never be seen by hunters..This is what i beleive is needed for bucks to reach world class staus..That is why i like big woods hunting..No fields or crops to allow them to be exposed by hunters or for that matter anyone....Where I hunt..I know there are Giants because the vastness allows them to not be seen by the wrong people.

Hey D...5.9% alco. quickly does the trick. lol:smiley_bril:

Last edited:

tuffshot

The Crew
There may be a world record in Ohio. But it is probably not a natural.
Mans intervention may be what is making the large number of huge bucks possible right now.
The record will probably be an escapee from a deer farm or private hunting ranch.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
My 2010 buck lived in a vast area..How many hunters have ever laid eyes on him?..i would suspect very few if any..Exposure from great distances is not possible where he lived...If you arent 50 to 80 yards from these mature bucks, then seeing em is next to impossible.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
JD,

Thats possible..Ive thought of that..But what percentage of Publicland hunters will let a 150 inch buck walk?..Probably very few. Publicland hunters have this mental thing where they have to shoot the first buck they see in fear of not seeing anything more because its publicland..Not me..I know the giants exist..I know they are the ones least likely to get killed...So..i wait and i wait..and if i dont kill one..thats OK... Do i beleive this is an average buck for the publicland area I hunt?..Absolutely..but i doubt very few hunters have laid eyes on em..well...of course...except one:smiley_bril:

JD..Lets perform an experiment....Try putting a 8 foot * 10 foot wooden sign on all your Hunting property entrances signaling this land is PUBLIC HUNTING..ie...."JD's WMA"...I want these properties to be advertised all over the innernet...I want these properties marketed by you and your associates in all Ohio hunting publications..and when thats completed.. lets see what happens to the quality of your hunting properties. I would suspect your standards would come down alil:smiley_bril:

...oh..and i almost forgot..Please provide public camping, toilets and showers.

Last edited:

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
The outfitters and leasers are moving in and getting more ground every year. Soon I'll be hunting with you...