Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How many guys believe that there is a walking World Record buck in OH

Schu72

Streetsboro
Some of the biggest bucks on record were found dead. The hole in the horn, the missouri monarch, and the buck that dropped the flemming sheds was never harvested. Somehow the big boys find a way to avoid detection. Of course with technology that will get more and more difficult.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
lol..JD..Come join us ..brother.

I know what your saying...I did have 1500 acres in Knox county..I never hunted it but it was avaiable whenever i wanted....I beleive the Name was the Moore property..Sweet old lady..She let anyone hunt that asked..Outfitters took it last year..kicked everyone off..Now they charge High fees to hunt..Its sickening.:tantrum:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My 2010 buck lived in a vast area..How many hunters have ever laid eyes on him?..i would suspect very few if any..Exposure from great distances is not possible where he lived...If you arent 50 to 80 yards from these mature bucks, then seeing em is next to impossible.

Hey Mountaineer! Got a question! Did you have your deer aged? or have an idea as TOO how old he is? Just wondering how old of ghost your deer was! He looks to be a solid 150's gross as far as the rack and a decent size body as well. Just wonderin'!

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Finely..

Im not sure..Im no expert..However..I save all my jawbones..They are hanging out in the backyard..lol...MAybe you guys could tell me..Im thinkin 3.5 to 4.5 yrs of age.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
IMO, we all know the 3 main ingredients for record class bucks are 1). Nutrition 2). age 3). genetics and you can throw in good health for number 4. We have ALOT of areas in our great state that have ALL of them. As for world record bucks that are WILD not being fenced in, I doubt it, but we have slews of 200 inchers!:)

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
In order for a buck to become World record status, He must survive 4 or 5 seasons with a big set of antlers..How is that possible?..The buck must survive lots of seasons without having any crosshairs put on him..without any encounters with hunters...The buck must beable to live without ever being noticed.

JD,

Thats possible..Ive thought of that..But what percentage of Publicland hunters will let a 150 inch buck walk?..Probably very few. Publicland hunters have this mental thing where they have to shoot the first buck they see in fear of not seeing anything more because its publicland..Not me..I know the giants exist..I know they are the ones least likely to get killed...So..i wait and i wait..and if i dont kill one..thats OK... Do i beleive this is an average buck for the publicland area I hunt?..Absolutely..but i doubt very few hunters have laid eyes on em..well...of course...except one:smiley_bril:

JD..Lets perform an experiment....Try putting a 8 foot * 10 foot wooden sign on all your Hunting property entrances signaling this land is PUBLIC HUNTING..ie...."JD's WMA"...I want these properties to be advertised all over the innernet...I want these properties marketed by you and your associates in all Ohio hunting publications..and when thats completed.. lets see what happens to the quality of your hunting properties. I would suspect your standards would come down alil:smiley_bril:

...oh..and i almost forgot..Please provide public camping, toilets and showers.

I drew a fellow from NC a map to some public land Near Zaneville..He killed a 165in one year an a 159in the next...Just saying.I would call it luck but twice seems unlikely to be luck..O an it was from the same Tree

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
IMO, we all know the 3 main ingredients for record class bucks are 1). Nutrition 2). age 3). genetics and you can throw in good health for number 4. We have ALOT of areas in our great state that have ALL of them. As for world record bucks that are WILD not being fenced in, I doubt it, but we have slews of 200 inchers!:)

Glad to see I'm not alone on this one. If there was one I'd have a picture of it...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
JD, this is my stance on the possibility of a WR buck walking around Ohio or any other state for that matter. The records for BOTH the typ. and non typ. have been raised quite substantially over the past decade or two. For a wild buck TOO tote a rack scoring over 213 typ or non typ. scoring over 304, 328 or 333 for that matter is highly unlikely but not impossible. Alot of variables can wipe out or negatively effect a wild buck having the 3 most important factors I listed above. Poaching and disease are two that come TOO mind! IMO:smiley_bril:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Nothing is impossible. Because to be impossible, there must first be possibility... ;)

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I think a ghost which has eluded hunters for years is like a mythical creature. We know they exist, but might only see one once a decade or so? I saw one last year. Several hundred yards away during bow season dogging some does in the field. I know there was a monster that drowned in a pond on New Year's Eve when it fell through the ice approximately a mile away. 6" bases on him but I never saw the pictures. I hope it was a different deer. A deer of this caliber would fit this description in my opinion Mountaineer. I am curious if he was ever seen by another hunter last year during the season. He was in a pretty remote field that was isolated from the roads, but there is hunting pressure in there. Not like where you hunt with hundreds of guys pushing the public land, but not devoid of hunters either.
Did you ever see the pictures or the deer on the hoof again?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Did you ever see the pictures or the deer on the hoof again?

Ummm. . . that was 10 years ago. I'd need to do some digging in journals/TC pic folders to see which deer it was. There are a few which come to mind. Looking back they were likely 160-180" deer. Massive deer, but not world record sized. In this area a 160+ may never present itself (Even if you have access to great ground.) Then again, in some parts of the country you may never see a 120" deer so I am not complaining.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Ummm. . . that was 10 years ago. I'd need to do some digging in journals/TC pic folders to see which deer it was. There are a few which come to mind. Looking back they were likely 160-180" deer. Massive deer, but not world record sized. In this area a 160+ may never present itself (Even if you have access to great ground.) Then again, in some parts of the country you may never see a 120" deer so I am not complaining.
You’d said it had something like 6” bases...you don’t see many around like that!😂