Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Baseball Journal

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You are right, Mike. And he averages 56mph in a league full of kids throwing 48. He has really developed his curve, change up, and thought process this summer. Pretty proud of the work he's done so far.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Day 3 of the NH state Jr. Legion tournament and we are still alive. Beat Lebanon yesterday 2-0 and my son got the game winning RBI on a suicide bunt in the bottom of the 6th. We play Nashua today in another elimination game. Nashua is a city and our team is bunch of small towns put together. Hicks vs. City slickers today. Ought to be fun.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Hicks kicked the crap out of the city boys today 24-10! It was a 5 inning game because of the mercy rule. My boys hit the crap out of the ball today. 19 hits in 5 innings. It was awesome to watch. We are now in the final four and play again tomorrow at 4pm. Hopefully we can keep it rolling.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
We won the 1st game 11-0 but then lost 5-3 in the second game against the defending state champs. It was a hell of run and we ended up 3rd in the state. Can't complain about that a bit.

Now I can start thinking hunting. Been doing baseball for the last 5 months.

We wrapped up my daughter's softball season in Myrtle Beach this past week/weekend. They played pretty well considering the sweltering heat! We ended up being bumped out of the tourney on Saturday morning which allowed us to enjoy the beach more that day. That's the one thing that sucks when you are playing ball in a place that's set up for tourism, wishing you had more time and energy to do the other stuff. Had plans to hit a seafood buffet for the first time but extended games and team bonding got in the way. Oh well, maybe a family trip there sometime is in order.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Here's a couple of pictures from the weekend.

Lined up for player introductions.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1438723181905.JPG
    uploadfromtaptalk1438723181905.JPG
    168.9 KB · Views: 86
  • uploadfromtaptalk1438723264948.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1438723264948.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
The guy in the middle wit the gut is me. My son Lucas is on the left. Little turd hit .400 in 5 playoff games. He had an OBP over .600 too.

uploadfromtaptalk1438723498799.jpg

Last edited:

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I am just sick over the loss of Jung Ho Kang for the Buccos. They are primed for the playoffs again this year and losing him is devastating. He was having a tremendous rookie season. Yesterday he was turning two and got slid into. Tore his acl and broke his tibia.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442571806.099458.jpg

Buckmaster

Portage
How's everyone's baseball season coming along?

We're now having lots of success this year as an 8 year old group playing Hot Stove Baseball (coach pitch). We've finally matured and seldom I see my outfielders playing with grass and flowers. Our record stands at 8-0 currently with full expectations of being undefeated this year. I envision going deep into tournament play this year.

In the coming weeks we'll begin practices for pitchers and catchers to get us ready for tourney play (3 kid pitch and 3 coach pitch innings) as well as identify our prospects for next year as our game begins 100% kid pitch ball.

The boy and I just signed up for our 4th football season so that begins July 11th. Our next adventure together.

Buckmaster

Portage
We're currently 11-0 with an easy final game tomorrow to finish off the regular season. We begin tourney ball Thursday as the #1 seed.
Here's my boy playing catcher last night in an easy 21-1 victory. Normally he plays second base but we switched things up for fun last night.

Attachments

• Catcher.jpg
    Catcher.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 98

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I've not been very good at posting much latley and especially in this thread. Our rec season was somewhat lackluster due to starting a new league where our umpires were supposed to be the leagues responsibility, well out of our 5 home games I had to get an umpire 4 different times 20 minutes before gametime, frustrating to say the least. My boy hit his first dinger early and hasn't stop smiling yet lol. We started tournament play this past weekend at the Sandlot in Athens and I was pleasantly surprised to go 6-0 and come out with our first tourney championship in the A bracket, their were 21 teams and we played very well.

Good luck to all that are still playing.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Buckmaster

Portage
We finished with a 15-2 season losing the last 2 in tourney play despite being down a pitcher and SS on vacation. Finished in the final 6. I had set out to win this tournament back in 2014 when we started this team. Oh well, try again in 2018 when were the big boys again. We'll be little guys again in 2017.

We are playing in a Hot Stove tourney beginning July 9th, half coach pitch...half kid pitch. We began pitchers and catchers practice last night. The boys did surprisingly well considering its their first time pitching. This tourney will help them bridge this year into next year's play.

...and football practice begins July 11th.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I coached our 7 th grade team this spring, started in February. That season ended mid-April and Mason then started his rec league. He did well, giving up only five hits all season. He tried out for an "elite" team and was asked to play. After looking at their schedule I realized we couldn't do it. They play in In, Oh, and Ky each weekend with weekday games scheduled in Cincinnati.... Just couldn't do it so I started a travel team with a group of local boys. They are doing well and enjoying themselves. Mason is hitting well, and his defense is strong too. That kid loves to pitch, and he is flat out good at it. He has become so competitive. He would rather pitch to the best teams available than to fool around with weaker competition... You only getting better by playing against better, so I'd say that his development in that area had been the highlight of out baseball season for me.
Good luck to you all in remaining tournaments. If all goes as planned, we will finish up around the first part of October, and will hate to see it end then.

Buckmaster

Portage
We're still alive in regional tourney play. Only 4 teams left in our bracket. We play again Saturday. Sunday is the championship and winner goes to State.

My son had his pitching debut this past weekend. He did everything one could ask for. 2 innings pitched, 6K's.

One proud Daddy I am.

Attachments

• Pitcher.jpg
    Pitcher.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 84