Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's good TOO?

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
HOLY SHIT! Just got an email from my landlord that read "Hey Rick, I see a lot of Turkeys on our property, you should shoot some. Don't know why Dad would not let you" Been wanting to shoot them for like 14 years. I am in total shock.....:smiley_clap:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
HOLY SHIT! Just got an email from my landlord that read "Hey Rick, I see a lot of Turkeys on our property, you should shoot some. Don't know why Dad would not let you" Been wanting to shoot them for like 14 years. I am in total shock.....:smiley_clap:
Fuck yeah!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Work 5 hours of OT today. Next week we only work three 8 hour shifts, and get paid for 5. The following week we start working four 10 hour shifts, fuggin pumped about that!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've turned down more tracks with Hank this year than I have taken. Tonight I took one. He didn't have a lot of blood but what he told me sounded good. He hadn't trampled through the area. Lost blood. Backed out. So I took Hank out. Spent some time out there. Found more blood. Then it appeared as if the deer may have crossed an open field. Told the guy the best thing he could do was use the newly found blood to continue his track in the morning. I honestly didn't feel Hank was on it. I didn't want to be on a wild deer chase for nothing. I honestly have not worked Hank much this year and do not have a lot of confidence in him. Then what happens? He finds blood where a hunter was otherwise out of hope. Sure wish I could have continued tracking. What we really needed was daylight. Maybe a dog handler who can read his dog and trust his dog rather than the owner of a dog with a good nose and instincts would have helped too. lol Hopefully the guy finds it tomorrow or calls me back to bring Hank if he loses the trail again.

For what it's worth: I think he has a high hit that wedged into the opposite shoulder. Not a pass through. Minimal blood due to the high hit. I believe it either filled up internally and is waiting to be found or he got a single lung and the buck just might survive. Sure did feel good to give the guy some hope though.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hopefully he finds him! The deer never bedded down?

Not in the first hundred yards or so he had tracked. When he lost blood he backed out and jumped in a UTV to search field edges. Hard to explain (and don't want to describe on public internet this guy's property). He is able to do some good searching standing in the bed of an UTV. He had NOT grabbed 6 friends to do a grid search. This is why I put Hank on it. Throwing a grid search party together, looking for 2 days, and then calling a dog in only sets the dog up for failure. May as well wait for buzzards and coyotes at that point.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Am I the only one who has "Country boy can survive" on repeat in his head every time he skins a deer? No exaggeration. EVERY single time I skin a deer that pops in my head.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Got Garrett's button buck finished up and in the freezer today. Proud to say he helped me quite a bit and never once complained. Part of me hated to make him do it. He isn't "all in" about hunting like I am. On the other hand, I believe it is important he experience the entire process. From scouting, to kill, to freezer. Granted, he doesn't like to scout with me often. lol

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
20171205_184734.jpg

Bacon Deer Burgers!