Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lucky day, time to buy a lotto ticket

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Don't get me wrong, I know old Chad puts in more than his fair share of time searching for sheds! But having a little luck on your side never hurts! :D That could have just been another big shed, but to have the connection it has, that's where a little luck comes in handy!!! And it's damn sure something I don't have!!!

I agree with you Jesse. I just didn't want the general public to think Chad just tripped over it. You and I know the man puts in his hours on whitetails year round, but someone just getting into hunting (or just getting into shed hunting even) might not realize the hours it takes sometimes. Takes some luck, but also takes the time and effort. It is no different than hunting deer. I think it can be even more difficult because once they fall they are no longer moving around up in the air on the bucks head where they are visible.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That's pretty awesome, Gern... congrats on an amazing find! I just can't believe nothing chewed on it in five years!!!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Maybe the other side is laying near by?!? Goodluck Chad!

Actually the neighbor down the road has it and it is in MINT condition.....his dog found it in 2006 and carried it up to the house and was chewing on it! I have held it in my hands before! I know the guy pretty well, so I am going to talk to him about getting it from him.....I would be willing to trade damn near anything to get it!

I have had sheds from other guys' bucks before and just given them to the guy that killed the buck just because I feel it's the right thing to do. If I could get this other shed, then I would definitely get a mount done.

Also, I know of 2 other guys that have sheds off of what I believe to be this buck from the year prior to 2005....but it is just heresay, I haven't actually held them or looked at them.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Actually the neighbor down the road has it and it is in MINT condition.....his dog found it in 2006 and carried it up to the house and was chewing on it! I have held it in my hands before! I know the guy pretty well, so I am going to talk to him about getting it from him.....I would be willing to trade damn near anything to get it!

I have had sheds from other guys' bucks before and just given them to the guy that killed the buck just because I feel it's the right thing to do. If I could get this other shed, then I would definitely get a mount done.

Also, I know of 2 other guys that have sheds off of what I believe to be this buck from the year prior to 2005....but it is just heresay, I haven't actually held them or looked at them.

Until yesterday that is......

I got to put one of them up to my antler and it is a guaranteed match (mine is on the left). I am working on the guy to get the antler, and both of the other guys with the 2nd set.

Funny thing about it is I know all 3 guys that have the 3 antlers.....and not one of them is giving them up easily! I plan on making some offers that are more than generous for them, we will just have to wait and see. If anybody has any ideas on talking these guys into bartering, let me know. I figure cash talks best, but I have a couple nice guns I would be willing to let go just to have these sheds.

The guy with this shed even had 2 trail cam pics of the deer he gave me. Kind of hard to judge the size of the bases from the picture, but they are both over 6".

I am going to go and talk to owner # 3 tonite and see the one he has.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Might just be one of those things where they soften up over time. Maybe down the road they take a buck you have a shed antler to and they see it from a different perspective?

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Well, the trip paid off because I am now the owner of a left side to this deer, pics later. It wasn't free....that's for sure, but I made him an offer on a trade he couldn't refuse. 1 down, 2 to go!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Congratulations Chad! Not sure what was traded specifically, but it is replaceable. What you now have is not replaceable. When you are an old man, you will be glad you did it!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Congratulations Chad! Not sure what was traded specifically, but it is replaceable. What you now have is not replaceable. When you are an old man, you will be glad you did it!

You are absolutely correct. I figure this is a once in a lifetime deal right here and it will take some sacrifices to make it happen, but I'm all for it. How often do you hear of someone knowing that there are 2 full sets of sheds out there from a buck they killed anyhow?

Here is the antler I got last night, I have never seen this one before until yesterday, but after looking at it and knowing where it was found (less than 300 yards from each other), I truly believe this is the match to the one I found last week.....It has some chews on it, but overall it is very solid, and matches the other side quite well. These cell phone pictures aren't the best, I apologize. I will get some better pics next to the deer later tonight.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
That's badass Chad! If I had killed Duece and someone had his 2007 sheds, I know I'd have been willing to go all out for them!!! Like Phil said, when you are an old man telling your grandchild about this, whatever you traded will be a long distant sacrifice!!!