Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer & Turkey Expo

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Went down on Friday. Had an enjoyable time just walking around with Austin and one of his buddies from school. Enjoyed running into Jesse and Greg and their wives, it was nice talking to both of you again. I didn't really see anything that was overly attention getting. Saw a lot of good deer on the trophy walls. Bought some sauce that I found there lasst year that was really good so I got a couplle bottles of it. Bought a few different videos. One is of nothing but different venison recipes. I am excited about trying some of those out.

As far as the Slunger Hollow video goes I to bought one and was surprised, not necessarily in a good way either. I can't really blame them for it as it is hunting and if things don't come together they don't come together. Who knows maybe it is all the dang acorns fault! :smiley_crocodile:. I also saw that Ed Detty and his son and brother has broken away from the SH crew and started there own thing. I am planning on checking them out when I get a chance.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Still a cool name though...

You made me laugh out loud Dannmann! Thanks

I also saw that Ed Detty and his son and brother has broken away from the SH crew and started there own thing. I am planning on checking them out when I get a chance.

I saw that too Steve. I talked to one of them. I know it was not Ed, but not sure which one. Maybe Floyd? Talked a long time. He was telling me about their website and how the hunts are posted up within maybe a few days to a couple weeks after the kill. You pay to see them as a member of their website. I just scratched my head and thought "Gee, I can go to some other sites and see the same thing for free." I just can't remember the name of them off top of my head right now. Midwestern Whitetails maybe?

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
I went sunday afternoon. Best time to go. Crowd is'nt too bad and get to see all the deer. Did'nt buy anything. I'm the type that when I need something I go get. My computer has been down for over a week so I did'nt know who to look for. Finally got to meet MRex. Had a good 15-20 minute conversation with him. The buck I had all the trail cam photos of two years ago was there and it netted 210 even. The jason tuttle buck. Whoever mounted it needs too have their taxi license taken away from them. Looked absolutely terrible. My buddies buck from last season ended up netting 171 6/8. I had it netting 176 2/8. How I was off 4 1/2 inches I'd like to know...

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Ditto JD, i only bought a hat and a huge camo jeep sticker lol. all in all it was a good time, crowd wasnt too bad and saw some cool stuff. btw, Gern were you there sunday?

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
One of the other products I looked kinda hard at, but didn't splurge was this one http://www.mountaineer-sports.com/index.php

I was considering upgrading safety harnesses before next season, and was only looking at Hunter Safety System & Muddy. Since I saw these guys at the show, I'll throw their model into the mix. Anybody see this, or have experience using the Mountaineer models?

Huckleberry Finn

Curren,

That's a pretty crazy system. I have a Hunter Safety System, the most basic model (think I paid like $70 for it at Dicks) and that was before they added the linesmans belt, which I'd like to get. It really is comfortable and easy to use and a lot better than messing around with the basic harness. It's something that I will actually wear and use each time I hunt in the stand, and that was worth it to me.

(If anyone wants a basic harness, let me know I think I have 2)

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Yeah, I saw that safety system when we were there Friday. I understand the concept behind the system, but I think it's a waste unless you are hunting from a climber. The way I look at it is if I'm hunting from a hang-on and I fall, I should be able to reach around to my sticks and get situated. I have a Muddy harness, and it comes with the lineman's belt as well as a tree strap. I always keep the lineman's belt attached to my side once I'm up in my stand, so if I fall, I can use it as a suspension relief strap if need be to keep blood circulating. I suppose if you fell and really hurt yourself, that system would be great, but that's only if you didn't get knocked out on the fall. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth. I am very happy with my Muddy harness.