Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

ohio turkey season 2011

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
gecko..

I dont use mouth calls ..only a box call..Ill bring 6 or 7 with me when i go hunting..Ill pull just about every gobbler off mouthcall hunters. There's no comparison..Get yourself a Boxcall. However..there's a trick to it..ya gotta learn how to run em correctly.

Last edited:

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
I use the Box only..But using a slate to close the deal is a good idea..I would say to learn how to "Purr putt..purr putt" on the slate..Im not saying a mouth call isnt good..Im just no good at it..Also..My style of hunting just isnt good for the mouth call.

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
Ive tried but never have called a bird in on a slate or box. All mine have been from diaphragms. I find it easier to control the pitch and frequency of my calling. I use my hands to control where I want the sound to travel and or I want to muffle the noise.

Hens will jolt there head quickly and call or in the middle of a call which is why I cup my hand and control the direction of my call then quickly switch if I have too.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've called them in with both diaphram and friction calls, but I prefer to use the diaphrams when I hunt. I usually only bust out a friction call if I get bored. There's something to be said about having BOTH hands free when you're calling in a turkey. And like 88 said, diaphrams will usually give you a wider range of pitch, tone and volume than the friction calls. Diaphrams can be difficult to learn, but once you get it, it starts to become second-nature to you. Don't feel bad gecko... the first time I tried a diaphram call, it took my almost 20 minutes before I even made a sound with it!

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I will be hunting Ashtabula, Geauga and Portage. Probably focusing most in Ashtabula and Portage based on my access and the flocks on the properties.

For me I use a box and a diaphram. I find that sometimes a bird will respond to one and not the other. I do like the flexibility of the diaphram and more importantly, I love that it is hands free. If I use decoys it is a jake and hen for me. Both Toms I shot last year were over decoys.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Ill be pitching a wall tent with 2 of my buddies and we will hunt the WNF for the 1st week of the season..Its a week of bird. morel and shed huntin.

JD..You extending that invitation to anyone?

I've told you before and you moaned and groaned that it was too far for ya!!! You know how to get a hold of me...

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I will be in Richland county. I should be just a few miles away from Gern. Maybe we can arrange a nice little cook out for all who will be in the area.

rrr

A cookout sounds like a good idea Steve, there are enough of us! I was talking to Gern and I think that will be a possibility!

Camofry - we do have a lot of good birds up here!

lung buster

hocking county
Hocking and ross counties for me. I prefer a slate at daybreak for soft tree yelps and use a mouth call almost all the rest. It just depends on the setup and situation.

Glen

I'll be hitting Harrison Co again. I like to use mouth & slate calls. I'll prolly leave the box call home this year. I seldom use it. I might grab my crow calls & haul em out tho & try to get one to shock gobble. That hasn't worked for me but I'll try anyhow. Good Luck everybody!!!!!!

Schu72

Streetsboro
Saw 6-7 big gobblers this morning on the drive to work. They were all in full strut probably only 40 yards off the road. Kinda got me stirred up a little.

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
Lets Hear it. Counties, Tactics, Calls, throwing the kitchen sink?

Personally I'll be staying in Clark County. I'm sick of hunting Vinton County birds. I gained permission on some property in Clark that looks to be holding spring, summer, fall birds. I may head to KY for opener also right before Ohio opener.

I'll be hunting my property in Vinton, my buddies property in Vinton, a couple other farms we have permission for in Vinton as well as a farm in Adams and Warren counties. I can't seem to get enough of the old Vinton county :) You are right though, those birds down there get harder and harder to hunt and what surprises me the most is, at least in the area I hunt, they don't gobble much.