Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mizzou Snow 2018

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Just let this wet your palate and explain why you'd drive 13 hours west to lay in the mud for 3 days straight...

[video=youtube;QY12el3qSw8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY12el3qSw8[/video]

We leave at 4AM next Thursday, which should get us to Mound City, MO by 5PM. Just enough time to drive around and see the sights before dark. Going with the 3 buddies I waterfowl with around here. They have never been, so they are pumped. This video is from my 2011 hunt. I bought my Benelli of Ted #RipCOB before heading out there and she'll be going back with me one more time. Looks like we might be a little early for the good hunting, but it's a roll of the dice when it comes to the migration. We hunted basically the same days in 2011 (March 4-6) and killed 150 birds in 2.5 days of hunting. I'll be sure to update this thread throughout the trip. Even if we don't kill a bunch, it'll be an epic road trip!

Wmiller07

Just let this wet your palate and explain why you'd drive 13 hours west to lay in the mud for 3 days straight...

[video=youtube;QY12el3qSw8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY12el3qSw8[/video]

We leave at 4AM next Thursday, which should get us to Mound City, MO by 5PM. Just enough time to drive around and see the sights before dark. Going with the 3 buddies I waterfowl with around here. They have never been, so they are pumped. This video is from my 2011 hunt. I bought my Benelli of Ted #RipCOB before heading out there and she'll be going back with me one more time. Looks like we might be a little early for the good hunting, but it's a roll of the dice when it comes to the migration. We hunted basically the same days in 2011 (March 4-6) and killed 150 birds in 2.5 days of hunting. I'll be sure to update this thread throughout the trip. Even if we don't kill a bunch, it'll be an epic road trip!

Awesome video. I am assuming you use a guide?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Don't notice it with 3" shells and a Benelli! My one buddy is shooting a Beretta with 3.5s and he's going to feel it. He bought the extended tube too, so 7+1 will only add to the issue!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good shit. I think you're timing is ok. Guy I know was there a week and a half ago.... They got 160-something birds in 3 hunts. 1 field hunt and 2 jump shoots.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Good shit. I think you're timing is ok. Guy I know was there a week and a half ago.... They got 160-something birds in 3 hunts. 1 field hunt and 2 jump shoots.

Bird count wasn't great last time I looked. Most of the birds were still in Arkansas, but that can change quickly. If we kill 150+ it'll be a good trip. We probably jinxed ourselves though cause we split the cost of one of these:

[video=youtube;4xB5Xm3WodI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xB5Xm3WodI[/video]

Cleaning that many birds sucks, especially since you have to leave the wing on the breast now for transport. Didn't have to do that in 2011, or at least we didn't know. Figured we could grip and rip, store on ice, then have a cleaning party at my place the weekend after we get back.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Word on the street is our timing might be perfect. A group hunting 9 guns at the same latitude, but opposite side of the state killed 302 birds in 2 days. A guy an hour due west of our destination said the birds are starting to pile up, with several groups of 20K+ flying high over the river. Forecast indicates a much needed ice melt and textbook conditions for the first two days of the hunt. Sunday might be a bust, but with a 13 hour drive facing us after the hunt, I won't be made if we do all our killing on Friday and Saturday.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You ain’t gonna sleep till you get back! Awesome stuff brother.
Nope. Worse yet, I have a senior leadership meeting Monday at 10AM. No sleep beforehand. It better not include anything that makes my blood pressure jump or I'm likely to stab a mo fo. [emoji23]