Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

That moment when...

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
One of the things I truly love about turkey hunting is that moment when you know it's gonna happen . It doesn't happen for every kill but I'd say 50-75% of the time there's a moment before the kill that you know it's all over for the bird.

I'll share a story that happened about 15 yrs ago .

I'd got on a good gobbling bird . It was the last weekend of the season , and it was one of the first yrs that Ohio had extended the season . The bird was gobbling hard but moving fast and I just couldn't get in front of him . He left the property I had permission and crossed a gravel township Rd into a pasture I couldn't hunt . I wrote him off and walked out the property I had access on without striking another bird . As I left that property I saw a truck parked on the Rd . I drove down and saw some guys in full camo . I chit chatted for a minute as we both watched the gobbler in full strut 400 yds away . They had already asked the property owner and had been shot down. I knew the owner well. But also knew he didn't want guys in his fields while he was grazing cows .
The whole time I'm talking to the guys I'm thinking about how I know the neighboring landowner , and that bird is 50 yds from the fence that splits the top of the hill .
We part ways and I drive directly to the neighbors . I see lights on and signs of life so after a quick door knocking they say go for it and I'm on my way .

I ease thru the oak woods knowing the bird is close . I creep up to the break of the knoll which is about 40 yds from the fence and seat myself against a big oak tree .

I wait a minute to let things settle nd let out a series of yelps . The whole time I haven't heard a thing . And have no idea if the bird is even around still . About 5 seconds later he gobbles . I answer and he gobbles again. At this point he knows where I'm at so I shut up.
A minute later he gobbles , and I can tell he's left the field and has crossed the fence ....
This is that moment you know it's a done deal as long as you don't mess up.

I let out a series of yelps and take off the safety and get my check tight on the stock while moving the gun towards his last gobble . Seconds later he's magically there , and I take that extra second to settle the bead before leveling him .

As I stand over him waiting for his last flops I am only 20 yds from the fence , and that other truck is still sitting down there . I can only guess their thoughts . But that hunt is one I think about as one that went from nothing to a flopping bird quickly .

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Oh yeah, that moment is the best! I like it when they aren't yet in view but you hear him spit....oh yeah, that's good stuff.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Oh yeah . Hearing em spitting is great . Seeing that fan coming over the break of the hill is tough to beat.

Turkey hunting is just way fun.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason has been hiding from his pet turkeys for the last couple weeks and calling them in. Lol. He's an idiot... and has been having a blast. He's finally learned to shut up too. That big bird is just like a wild one. If he calls too much ol Ted will just stand and gobble.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
That's great . Yeah , there is definitely a time to call and a time to shut up . Usually your better off shutting up. If they gobble at you once , they know you are there . Patience when calling is a key to killing turkey birds . But knowing when to make a quick move is important too.

A good woodsman will kill more birds than a good caller any day .

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
A while back on here, Joe gave what has become one of the best pieces of advice I've filed away and that's: "Make him gobble because he's trying to find you, not because he's responding to your calls." It's a good reminder to be patient and to recognize there is a difference in when they'll gobble and why. I used to call too much cause it's fun to hear them gobble. Ever since Joe said that, I have tried to remain mindful of when that bird gobbled last and why he might have done so.

Good read Jake. I'm still just a guy that hunts turkey and am far from being a turkey hunter, but I am really starting to enjoy it a lot more now that I'm not coaching ball and have the spring to myself. Plus, my oldest loves it and it's a more friendly time of year to drag a kid along than waterfowl and deer can be.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Very cool story Jake. Still waiting on experiencing that feeling, lol. Since I’ve been back on day shift the past 4-5 years I have a lot less opportunities to get out, UGH. Last few years I’ve hardly hear or seen many birds in our area. There used to be a bunch of em, don’t know where they went.