Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Proposed Rule changes to the 2018-2019 season

Ignore this guy. He isn't on this website often. When he is it is generally negativity. Majority of guys in this site are very inviting to NR. I'm with you Murphy. I really don't care what someone shoots so long as they are happy with it. Bit don't shoot one and leave it lay. It isn't a shooting target for practice. That isn't cool.

I've liked almost every resident I've ever talked. They always want to hear/share stories and cam pics. I honestly have sat on the tail gate and had a beer in the gas station parking with a few over the years. We always seem to take the heat for deer problems on these online forums. Whether it be low deer numbers, or no big bucks around. Gets me fired up sometimes.

They hit the nail on that one Murphy31. Waste of your time to even reply to the...well...that person.

Unless you’re form mishitgan, then your team sucks.... [emoji23]

Hey now, not everything from Mi-Shit-I-Gan sucks LOL!

Fletch

Supporting Member
I don't really get the nr hate. Never really seen to many to be honest. I honestly wonder what some of the residents are doing. The neighbor to our lease last year shot a 5 pointer. We told him where it was. He gave us a don't really care look/smile( never went and got it). Then shoots a 110 inch 8 straight in the chest. Poor thing was gimping around on our lease 2 days later. Then we go to the butcher its packed full of 100 inch deer. With only Ohio plates in the lot. Some times the answers to your buck problems are right in front you, but blaming nr seems to be easier.

Funny... I saw antiqucycle's mention of non-residents and laughed... I think I went a round or two with him when I first joined the site... Gotta just ignore some people...

So you have to purchase an additional tag to trap them and then you can't even keep it to have it mounted, tanned, or sell the fur. What's the point in trapping it if you have to turn it over to the DNR? Unless they just want the carcass and you get to keep the fur? Needs a little more clarification in the wording there I think.

Pretty much every state that allows bobcat hunting and trapping does some version of this. In washington state you have to get the hide sealed with in so many days. Some states want to keep the skull or teeth ect.

We also have to submit to molars to the state of every black bear killed

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Pretty much every state that allows bobcat hunting and trapping does some version of this. In washington state you have to get the hide sealed with in so many days. Some states want to keep the skull or teeth ect.

We also have to submit to molars to the state of every black bear killed

I don't mind the separate tag and wouldn't care if they just wanted to log it into a database. I just think it needs better clarification. I'm not sure what the trapper gets to keep and what the DNR wants to take for it's records. It's gray areas and wording like this that will get good people wanting to do the right thing in trouble lol. Leaving the interpretation of the law up to the local WO can cause some issues. been there and done that one lol.

DNR keeping teeth and skull is not a huge deal as those are replaced with acrylic during mounting anyway.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't mind the separate tag and wouldn't care if they just wanted to log it into a database. I just think it needs better clarification. I'm not sure what the trapper gets to keep and what the DNR wants to take for it's records. It's gray areas and wording like this that will get good people wanting to do the right thing in trouble lol. Leaving the interpretation of the law up to the local WO can cause some issues. been there and done that one lol.

DNR keeping teeth and skull is not a huge deal as those are replaced with acrylic during mounting anyway.
It sounds pretty straight forward to me. Buy bobcat permit, catch bobcat, check-in bobcat online or by phone by 11:30 pm that day, take bobcat to DNR rep within 5 business days for inspection, submit carcass. Wham bam thank ya maam. They wouldn't open a trapping season for bobcats and require a separate bobcat tag if the trapper couldn't keep the hide. Without the hide, why would the average trapper waste their time?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It sounds pretty straight forward to me. Buy bobcat permit, catch bobcat, check-in bobcat online or by phone by 11:30 pm that day, take bobcat to DNR rep within 5 business days for inspection, submit carcass. Wham bam thank ya maam. They wouldn't open a trapping season for bobcats and require a separate bobcat tag if the trapper couldn't keep the hide. Without the hide, why would the average trapper waste their time?

Are they explicitly defining "carcass" somewhere within the regs? It's confusing to me and I'd like to think I'm a little more than mildly retarded.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Are they explicitly defining "carcass" somewhere within the regs? It's confusing to me and I'd like to think I'm a little more than mildly retarded.

Not that I've seen. I just can't imagine not getting to keep the hide. That's the whole point of trapping furbearers. The state isn't going to charge a fee to trap an animal you can't keep.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
[emoji23] Ha. Apparently they're giving the general public too much credit by not spelling it out clear enough.

By not spelling it out leaves it up to interpretation. That's where the issue is. The way I read something and the way you read it can be a night and day difference. SPELLING it out leaves no question and is right there in black and white.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
By not spelling it out leaves it up to interpretation. That's where the issue is. The way I read something and the way you read it can be a night and day difference. SPELLING it out leaves no question and is right there in black and white.
It was just a joke man. Hence tearful laughing emoji.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I got ya. Wasn't jumpin ya on anything. I was just sayin lol.
Nah, I know. And I'm just saying, why would the state open a trapping SEASON, which also requires paying for a special permit, if you weren't allowed to keep the hide of that animal? It just wouldn't make any sense.

Funny... I saw antiqucycle's mention of non-residents and laughed... I think I went a round or two with him when I first joined the site... Gotta just ignore some people...

Yep. Also raising the NR license fee isn't likely to deter the guys that are leasing land. What it would deter would be former Ohio residents that moved away for work that wants to come home to hunt a couple of days at the family farm.

I saw the same hate in PA when we went thru the herd reduction which was before Ohio's herd reduction. I remember alot of hate for NR and even for residents that traveled from the urban areas to central PA to hunt in the big state forests.

Mooosie

Antiqucycle, I have a farm in vinton county, since I am now a resident of Florida I have to buy a nonresident license to hunt on my own land. Does it sound right to you that I should have to pay more?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Antiqucycle, I have a farm in vinton county, since I am now a resident of Florida I have to buy a nonresident license to hunt on my own land. Does it sound right to you that I should have to pay more?

Dude, don’t take this wrong way but don’t feed the troll. He ain’t worth it....