Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Upgrade thoughts and advice

Qback5

I have a small pop-up (2015 Forest River 206ltd). Very basic, gets the job done. We camp about 10-12 times a year, mostly 2 night weekends and 1 big trip a year (about 8-9 days). I've been thinking about 2 types of upgrades:

1- Axle upgrade. I have the lowest end axel in terms of functionality (no breaks, small wheels). Works just fine, but have thought about going with something a bit bigger, with brakes and that can handle larger wheels. Here's the thing though, I don't know why...other than it would look cool and maybe get me 5MPH more on the highway. I think having breaks would be nice (truck wired for it), but it's such a small camper I've never felt compromised without the breaks. I welcome thoughts and advice.

2- Storage. I have minimal storage, and I drive a mid-size truck (2012 Nissan Frontier), so gear room is a premium. Trying to think of ways to add storage that would allow me to store all camping equipment in the camper, not in the truck. Thinks like leveling blocks, some tools, chocks, etc. The tongue area is very small on this unit, but trying to figure out if a DIY box that would fit the propane, 2 batteries, plus storage would work well or not. Again, I welcome thoughts and advice.

Here's the thing - if I did nothing, it all works good. I store it inside, it's very functional and clean, everything works. So, I'm literally a happy camper, just always tinkering I guess.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Interesting thoughts.

#1 - why? I only seeing this as adding complexity and cost to a situation that is not broken. The trailer is light enough it does not brakes and unless you are killing the tow vehicles brakes there is 0 benefit.

#2 - need to know where you are at in terms of cargo capacity from a weight perspective right now. Think about keeping that weight off the trailer and make better use of the tow rig. I am thinking along the lines of a Diamondback cover. Put your coolers and other weatherproof items on top and open up your bed. Adding weight to the trailer impacts gvwr, tongue weight and how it will tow as currently setup.

I agree with 5cent about adding the axle. I just don't see this upgrade ever paying off. Only way it could is if you found an axle that you could basically get for free. Especially since you aren't towing that many miles per year.

As far as cargo what about adding a cap on the truck?

I think Giles has a legitimate point as well. You could sell the one you have and maybe upgrade to a slightly bigger model.

Qback5

The long trips with bigger tires was the thinking. Good advice here. It ain’t broke, so nothing to fix. I prefer not to upgrade units...we like this one and bigger will be harder to store indoors in my space.

Diamond back...never heard of these. I like what I see so far, thanks for the suggestion.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
They are expensive but would probably be less than what you were looking to do with an axle swap/upgrade. They are built like tanks, look good,and also add security to the bed. Then if you choose to sell the tow vehicle or cover in the future, they hold their value

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
I have a 14 tundra 5.7 and a 34' Forrest River , I will tell you this, when we bought it we thought long trips, complete with all that you mentioned. I hate that thing lol....I hate the camper! not my truck!

Now I am going to add some air bags in the rear of my truck, maybe that will make things better, my truck pulls it fine, just the cross winds that tighten up the old o-ring!!

I have a hard cover for my bed and I never have it on unless I am going on a long trip, short trips I take it off. I have looked at those soft top camper tops for my truck for the protection from the elements, more storage, and for the light weight. Maybe that might be an option, they aren't that bad in price.

We are doing a 2 week camping trip this late spring to Florida and I will be sure to have the air bags, new tires, and brakes installed before that trip!

Last edited:

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Lol, sorry NWhunter, but im with giles here. Care to share weights? I bet you are way over on cargo capacity and at max on the rear axle gawr. Just because it can tow a space shuttle doesnt mean you should!

With the investments in the items to band-aid the situation, you would be better off with a 3/4ton. Even then if the WDH setup is correct a 38’ (nose to tail) trailer will walk any size truck sideways every chance it gets.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Do you have cargo pockets in the bed of the truck? If so, maybe weld something up to hold bikes above the bed? I've also seen hard tonneau cover with bike rails on the top. That would save some best space of the truck. Could you mount one propane tank on the tongue of trailer? If bikes and propane tanks we're covered, I wouldn't think batteries would take up too much bed space in the truck. Just some random thoughts which may or may not help.

It may be ok. The downside is the farther you put it back the more weight you are putting on the back of the truck as it moves that hitch point further from the rear tires. It may not tow as well by doing that. Would really depend on your trailer weight and your cargo weight. I would be leary of doing it unless what I was towing was pretty light. I have never fulled with one of those hitch extenders, so I am not speaking of personal experience.

Qback5

All good ideas, thanks! I’ve seen the front mounts as well, and am contemplating that as well.

I’m leaning toward: https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mount...MI8ubN6v-w2QIVBqxpCh2fTgTNEAQYASABEgI6WvD_BwE

All would fit well within tongue max and tow max capacities, well within. Only question mark is if the bikes would hit the crank, propane tank, or possibly the camper itself. I took some measurements today and looks like I’m within reason enough to give it a try. I figure if it goes well, which I suspect it will, then I could always remove bikes and rack for backing into a site...and then just don’t get in a situation where tight turns backing up will be necessary en route.

1200 mile round trip planned for July, but lots of shorter trips before then to test it out.

Last edited:

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Bikes can be a pain for sure! Since you have a pop-up, I am guessig it has a hard top on it. What about mounting up there?

I would not recommend doing a hitch extension. Check these out these brackets below if you have a square tube rear bumper. Then put on a 2” reciever and a bike rack:

https://mount-n-lock.com/mnl-cargo-...ruts-support-brackets-prevent-bumper-failurer

I believe etrailer also carries over the propane tank carriers for the tongue area too. Bikes add a whole new level complexity, I didnt see that in your original post. I would lean towards a diamondback even more with bikes.