Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wayne National Forest to Revise Land Management Plan

NEWS RELEASE
Wayne National Forest to Revise Land Management Plan

NELSONVILLE, OH. – The Wayne National Forest is pleased to announce that it will begin revising its Land Management Plan this April.

For years, the USDA Forest Service, Ohio Department of Natural Resources [ODNR], and USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service [NRCS] have been innovating ways to collaborate in the restoration of southeast Ohio’s oak and hickory forest ecosystems. The next step to realizing that goal and other land management objectives is having compatible long-term management plans that allow the organizations to work together more efficiently across the landscape in southeast Ohio.

“In the state of Ohio, the Wayne National Forest, ODNR, and NRCS are exemplifying how federal and state agencies can work together across boundaries to accomplish an array of goals on the landscape,” said Tony Scardina, Wayne National Forest Supervisor. “With ODNR’s intention of revising Ohio’s Forest Action Plan (http://forestry.ohiodnr.gov/overview) by 2020, we have decided the time is right to revise our Land Management Plan (www.fs.usda.gov/wayne), so that we can work more collaboratively with the State.”

This spring, the revision process will be formally initiated. It will be accomplished in three general phases as guided by the 2012 Planning Rule (https://www.fs.usda.gov/planningrule). These three phases include assessment of current conditions and trends, plan development, and implementation/monitoring. The Forest Supervisor will be responsible for carrying out this process and making the final plan decision.

“The most important priority in this revision process is transparency and the opportunity for all interested citizens to participate and contribute to the Plan’s development. Over the coming months we look forward to providing more detailed information on the process as well as a wide range of ways in which the public can participate,” continued Scardina.

Because the Wayne National Forest’s current Land Management Plan is relatively new compared with others across the nation, managers aim to complete the revision process in an expeditious manner on pace with the State. The Forest will continue to implement its current Plan, including the administration of oil and gas activities, until a new decision is made.

More information about Land Management Plan Revision and public participation in the process is available at www.fs.usda.gov/wayne.

Gordo

Athens County

Can you imagine if there was 50 acre sections of shit that's hardly penetrable? New growth/thick ass shit consistently spaced out through out all those wooded acres?

Man, that would be awesome. Mature deer would be there and other wild life would benefit from it.

Union Furnace had some great diversity from the small amount that I saw.

I've drove a lot of back roads through zakeski/wayne. The diversity in habitat just seems to be non existent.

I hope they make this happen.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Can you imagine if there was 50 acre sections of shit that's hardly penetrable? New growth/thick ass shit consistently spaced out through out all those wooded acres?

Man, that would be awesome. Mature deer would be there and other wild life would benefit from it.

I've drove a lot of back roads through zakeski/wayne. The diversity in habitat just seems to be non existent.

It would be very beneficial that's for sure. Right now it's nothing but open forest in most places, it needs logged bad.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I was supposed to have a seat at the table for the first round of conversation on this, but a scheduling conflict prevented that. However I will be apart of future discussions and will help bring more info to the outdoors community. From what I know in the back channels, it's looking good realistic forest management plans being implemented statewide in the near future.

I was supposed to have a seat at the table for the first round of conversation on this, but a scheduling conflict prevented that. However I will be apart of future discussions and will help bring more info to the outdoors community. From what I know in the back channels, it's looking good realistic forest management plans being implemented statewide in the near future.

Great. Please keep us updated.

It would also benefit alot of other species as well besides deer.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Yep. That is something that alot of the tree huggers that are against logging don't understand.
Actually, that's beginning to change much like the acceptance of acquiring your own food is changing as people take more responsibility for their food choices. Like all things though, it's the 1% that bitches the loudest that gets heard. I attended a "Forest Summit" at Vinton Furnace a month ago that had representatives from one end of the spectrum to the other and most all of us were on the same page: Ohio needs to step up its forest management practices statewide.

Actually, that's beginning to change much like the acceptance of acquiring your own food is changing as people take more responsibility for their food choices. Like all things though, it's the 1% that bitches the loudest that gets heard. I attended a "Forest Summit" at Vinton Furnace a month ago that had representatives from one end of the spectrum to the other and most all of us were on the same page: Ohio needs to step up its forest management practices statewide.
. Glad to hear that it is changing.

Any updates on this topic?