Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Things we did as kids

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
Toilet Paper
Leaf Bag
Drive By Water Ballooning
Mattress sledding
Street sledding behind a truck
Firecracker wars....everything was legal ammo
BB gun wars
Backyard football
Wiffleball was yuuuggeeeeee!
Down town cruising
Prank phone calls
Pumpkin smashing

Call in the local radio station and make a request for you special girl ! lol

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
We'd take a CO2 cartridge drill out the hole just a little bit. Then fill it half full of black powder with a waterproof wick. And put some Play-Doh around the top to seal it. These were awesome in the creek or mailboxes.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Kick the possum was a fun game. Drive around at night and spotlight one as it was crossing the road. Stop the car and get out and kick him so he would play possum and then stick him in somebody's mailbox.

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
Oh yea the old mailbox baseball Cotty. Lol
Putting roadkill in mailboxes for the mailman to see the next day.
Haha we would drive around and catch live coons and stuff them in a mailbox and duct tape it shut. I'll bet the mailman had several wtf moments.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Kick the possum was a fun game. Drive around at night and spotlight one as it was crossing the road. Stop the car and get out and kick him so he would play possum and then stick him in somebody's mailbox.

lol... I’ve heard of it being done but never knew anyone to do it, until today!!!! [emoji23][emoji23]

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I had traps and during spring and summer I’d sit in the garage while the traps would be out in the yard with bread on the pans.... Worked great until a grackle tried flying away with a trap... With me chasing it across a couple neighbors properties lol

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Same as you J but we also had a creek and trains. Rode a lot of trains back in the day. Also had some pretty cool forts with some reading material from one of our buddy's pervert dad lol. We trapped also but I don't think anyone uses number 2 jump traps for muskrat these's days lol. My wore out crossman 760 is still at my mom's in the garage. If I had a nickel for every BB and pellet that went through that gun I'd be rich lol

Last edited:

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
One more lol. Mom and dad would leave shopping or whatever so I would get dad's 22 pistol out of his sock drawer then throw bread in the backyard for bait waiting for black birds lol. I got to be a pretty good shot lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Geez. You all are a bunch of hoodlums! I love it!

Throwing snowballs at cars at a young age got me in some trouble. Hit one and the dude stopped. And he was PISSED! Dang neighbor's boys got me in all sorts of trouble. I'd have never thought of that stuff on my own. lmao

Riding bikes in the woods or on the dirt piles left after the neighborhood was developed. Naturally, this area is no longer fields and has a bunch of McMansions.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
How about Toad Baseball. Of course they were only good for one hit...But that one hit was usually a good one!:smiley_coolpeace:

Or how about a firecracker on a cats ass? Knew it wasn't going for the insertion, so we wrapped duct tape around it backwards. Stuck it under the tail and the cat set down on it. Never seen that one again.

Last edited:

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
All the same here. Man those were some good times. We lived in town right next to a park til I was 10. Learned a lot from the old timers softball league that is played there. Most shit a 10 year old shouldnt have known. We moved to the country and didn't have anything else to do but play in the woods and shoot shit. I remember stealing dad's Camaro when I was 15 thought I was slick and have it back before they got home turns out mom was in the driveway when I pulled up and did a big smokey burn out. She was pissed but dad just said don't let your mom catch you next time.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
27331934_1976587359268492_5776943438156369579_n.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Same as you J but we also had a creek and trains. Rode a lot of trains back in the day. Also had some pretty cool forts with some reading material from one of our buddy's pervert dad lol. We trapped also but I don't think anyone uses number 2 jump traps for muskrat these's days lol. My wore out crossman 760 is still at my mom's in the garage. If I had a nickel for every BB and pellet that went through that gun I'd be rich lol

My grandfather and dad both worked for the ole Erie Lackawanna RR back then and we knew all the train crews in the area by name lol... Fun times back then, there was a lumber yard they’d deliver too once a month, we were always there when they went by.....

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
How about taking our shotguns to school and having them hang on the rack in the back window of the pickup truck? Imagine doing that today!

I broke the hammer on my Dads .22 pistiol. Took it into shop class and we braised it back together. Had it in my coat pocket before and after being fixed. Jail-time this day and age. :smiley_coolpeace:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I broke the hammer on my Dads .22 pistiol. Took it into shop class and we braised it back together. Had it in my coat pocket before and after being fixed. Jail-time this day and age. :smiley_coolpeace:

Everyone had a pocket knife as well...

Hunter II

I had traps and during spring and summer I’d sit in the garage while the traps would be out in the yard with bread on the pans.... Worked great until a grackle tried flying away with a trap... With me chasing it across a couple neighbors properties lol

If you tied the trap to a fishing line you could’ve reeled them in. So I’ve heard.