Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

This tactic ever work for anybody?

Jamie

Ohio
I've seen an 18 month old buck try to breed a dead doe. She hadn't been laying there more than 2 minutes. I watched the button buck fawn of same doe try for 15 minutes to nudge her back onto her feet. was awful hard to watch as I have always had real reverence for the killing I've done. I think I'll go retrieve my dead deer as soon as possible. I appreciate good venison too much to not take care of it as quickly as possible in favor of using it for bait. I'm not on board with this tactic. it smacks of the whole whack em' and stack em' mentality that I just don't care for.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Not a fan of that tactic. I did see Grant woods use it this season on a rifle hunt in Missouri. I'm on one specific mission when I go out, either I'm going for a buck or a doe.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
As others have said. Not something I would do. I hunt for many reasons, killing multiple deer in one sit just isn't a priority of mine. If it is legally done I wouldn't knock someone for doing it just not something I would do.

Bigcountry40

I typically use my entire quiver of arrows on the first deer! lol, In all seriousness, if this was legal I wouldn't try this, in Early November I am giving every doe a free pass, a hunter never knows what watching a 100 yards in the thick!

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I've seen an 18 month old buck try to breed a dead doe. She hadn't been laying there more than 2 minutes. I watched the button buck fawn of same doe try for 15 minutes to nudge her back onto her feet. was awful hard to watch as I have always had real reverence for the killing I've done. I think I'll go retrieve my dead deer as soon as possible. I appreciate good venison too much to not take care of it as quickly as possible in favor of using it for bait. I'm not on board with this tactic. it smacks of the whole whack em' and stack em' mentality that I just don't care for.
I've had fawns do this too. It is crushing to me. It never bothered me til i became a parent