Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cold toes

Kempire

Seems like every time I'm out in the woods, successful hunt or not, I learn something that I can do differently to make the next time out more successful or enjoyable. Many of those things have been on the apparel front for staying warm out in the cold. Over the years I've managed to get my gear and layering system pretty dialed in, but just can't seem to keep my damn toes warm. I've got 1000g thinsulate boots, wool socks with a liner sock under that. Got some new insoles this year that have helped, but after a few hours the toes still end up being my undoing. I've started to consider getting some of those thermacell heated insoles, but they are a bit pricey and one more thing to have to fidget with. Also, don't really know anyone who has them who can attest to if they are worth the coin.

Anyone have any tricks, suggestions and/or have tried those heated insoles and have any feedback? Thanks

I use nylon type dress socks first, then merino wool socks followed by Toasty Toes toe warmers. If your boots are too tight that is probably the biggest reason. Need room to move your toes around while sitting. Could use spray antiperspirant on your toes/feet.

Qback5

I always had cold toes too. Found a system similar onthose mentioned that works. Biggest hunt is not wearing two pairs of thick- it was cutting circulation. I go 1 pair of swiftwick ankle high socks, then a pair of smartwool warm socks. If crazy cold, toe warmers.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
The Arctic Shield boot covers are working for me. Add warmers inside of them for really cold evenings.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have a set of thermacell insoles. They work great. They don't get "hot" but they do a good job keeping my toes from feeling cold. The problem with them is battery life. They only last a few hours, which doesn't do a whole lot of good if you're like me and often hunt sunrise to sunset. I think I will get a pair of the boot covers to pair with them. Maybe that would allow me to run the insoles more sparingly and get more longevity from them.

Kempire

When you all are talking about toe warmers are you talking about the warmers like the hot hands packs?

Bigcountry40

This and make sure your feet don’t sweat on the walk in.

when its really cold (this past/current season) I bring two pair of socks because my feet sweat no matter what, when I get to stand or sit down, I change my socks out. I do the same thing with my sweatwicking base layer shirt