Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Well That Was Easy!

Gordo

Athens County
The rest is a coming boys. Mind got De-railed tonight. Argh. Should have waited till it was all done! Glad your all enjoying it. The best is yet to come

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The rest is a coming boys. Mind got De-railed tonight. Argh. Should have waited till it was all done! Glad your all enjoying it. The best is yet to come

Gordo, take your time buddy (I know, right) we’ll have a little fun in the meantime lol....

Rick, F Troop was a classic lmao. Could you imagine them putting out something like that these fuggin days???? lmao

Gordo

Athens County
Getting there. Lmfao

It was a slow hike in. No way I was going to break a sweat. That would have led to misery with the plummeting temperatures.

Before I know it, I'm makeing the final approach.

Slow and easy at this point. Take a couple steps, stop, scan, repeat. I'm almost home! Only a couple more steps and I'm in clean!!!

Not so fast....

I see movement. It's a damn doe bedded down about 15 yards from me. She see's me and does the old 'wiggle waggle' to her feet.

It turns into a staring contest. It felt like forever, but was maybe a minute long. She finally turns and just walks away.

Just walks away? Unbelievable.

I still can't believe she didn't blow at me. I feel like that would have ruined the hunt before it even started.

Alright, I'm in!

You have to stand in the nest or you can't see shit. It's Great for getting in and out while not exposing yourself, but even on your feet the visibility sucks due to the topography.

To the west

Shooting lane to the North

I'm settled in and have two things on my mind.

First and foremost, the odds seemed stacked in my favor. Everything was perfect. I just needed the right deer to show up. Was there a nice buck in the area? I know I saw a couple in November....

Second was how that cheesecake didn't stand a fucking chance once I got back to the truck. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

5:15pm. I had been settled for roughly an hour and was surprised nothing has shown up yet. I figured it as a good thing. The less deer buzzing around, the better my chances of not getting busted.

Next thing I know, here comes the deer parade....

The slick heads started to pop out of the wood work.

It was quite the show and all was well as they kept at a safe distance. One old nanny bitch kept pushing the others away from the golden acorns. She'd get up on her hind quarters and 'box' them out if they tried to challenge. There was at least 6 does, possibly more.

Things got dicey for a minute. A younger doe got pushed off by the nanny, and started to head directly towards me. It got intense every step she took closer. In my head I'm thinking "don't do it to me, please dont, stop, stop".

This is unbelievable, but it happened. She kept coming in. Very investigative, Sniffing like crazy. She knew something was up. She poked her head inside of the nest through my shooting window, looked right at me, stuck her nose up and sniffed some more.

Talk about adrenaline pumping....

I have never been that close to a deer on the ground. I could have tapped her on the head...

What happens next?

She simply turns around and heads back towards the feeding frenzy.

Unreal.

I get myself calmed down from that close encounter and am grinning ear to ear. The does are still buzzing around the area doing their thing.

I'm running out of light when all of the sudden I hear that sweet sweet sound over my shoulder towards the west...

Snap!!!!!!!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
And now the rest of the story lmao.... Gordo, seasons over in a couple weeks buddy. See if you can wrap it up by then lol

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Every chapter is like a season finale of the walking dead or game of thrones....leaves you hanging and have to wait until the next season starts! Lol. I love the “chumming” comment...I’m going to use it whenever I tell my friends that I’m going to bait a stand.