Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Well That Was Easy!

Gordo

Athens County
Part one:

Alright, here we go...

So it was a gloomy day; April the 12th, 1981...

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23].

Let's try again...

Last Wednesday I set out to find the 'perfect' kill set at my primary hunting spot. I hadn't hunted it much since gun season. The property is dynamite, but it's a real pain in the ass to access. I had been hunting a buck closer to home but was unsuccessful.

I hiked around for about an hour or so. I was looking for 3 things:

1.). Stealthy access.
2.). A ravine at my back for a NW wind makeing it damn near impossible for a deer to get down wind of me.
3.) A spot where it was very unlikely for a deer to get 'TOO' close since I'd be hunting on the ground over spread corn.

I still wasn't decided when I hiked out of there, but I had a couple options.

The next day I went back with a pair of loppers, 160 pounds of corn, and a trail camera. I got wrapped up helping the land owner with his firewood before heading back. In return, he helped me haul everything up the hill. We got everything to the top, but I was out of time for the day and had to get out of there. I'd have to come back for a third straight day to finish the set off.

Here's a couple pics of the trek into the property. This place is steep hardwoods except for the very top where it opens up to about 10 acres of relatively flat field.

I went back early Friday and took care of business. I thought long and hard about where to set up the night before. It became clear where I needed to be.

It was time to make myself a nest to crawl into. Before I left my house, I cut a contractors bag worth of pine branches off my land. I hauled those back with me to help brush things up.

After about 30 minutes with the loppers, my nest was complete.

NW or W wind in my face and being pushed down in the holler. Check.

Here's a pic of the approach to the nest.

A view to the east from the nest.

Next I spread the corn out over an area that covered 30-50 yards from the nest and deployed the camera. It was time to get the hell outta there.

This pic is from the corn/cam area looking towards the nest.

Last edited:

Fletch

Supporting Member
I like "the nest" ... Now what about the "rest".. Damn that rhryms... Lol..

Fletch

Supporting Member
I guess I'm missing something, cause as the saying goes: I'm not in the know.... But I'm sure he is working on the rest from the nest and its going to be a good story...

Gordo

Athens County
Alright. It had been a full 36 or so hours and I slip in for an evening hunt late Saturday afternoon. I jumped the gun on it, but the weather and wind was TOO perfect not too. I 'thought' I saw a set of antlers pop up at the end of the night, but who knows. I did see a doe and silhouettes at the very end of the night, but the bottom line is that it had not been long enough since I chummed it up. The deer where still finding the golden acorns and not adjusted to them yet.

Sunday and Monday where 'No Goes'. The wind wasn't right. Looking at the forecast, it looked like Tuesday was going to be the one day that the wind cooperated. Wind from the west; snow fall up until late afternoon; cold cold cold.

I didn't mess around in my preparation for tuesdays hunt. I checked every box. Washed all my gear, shot the xbow 10 or so times. I even showered BEFORE heading out... I never do that. I got myself as scent free as can be and then 'Cheech and chonged' myself with the ole scent smoker.

I hop in the truck around 3:30ish and away I go.

The drive alone had a very 'deery' feel to it. Absolute shit weather... it was beautiful.

I pull into the holler, park the truck, and finish gearing up.

I try to be very quiet so my friends/property owners 3 bull mastiffs don't freak out and cause an uproar In the house. Mission not accomplished this time! The dogs are freaking out. My buddy pops his head out of their cabin and says "get in here for a minute, my wife made you something". Im thinking "man, that's nice of them" while at the same time thinking "shit on me, I gotta get in the woods".

Well, it turns on that chick makes a hell of a cheese cake! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. Delicious! Buttery goodness...

Mercy...

I get out of there fairly quickly, and am hikeing up and out of the holler in no time towards the set.

****I'm a rambling man, it's been a while****

Fletch

Supporting Member
CHEESECAKE ???? Now that's funny... I just took a cheesecake out of the oven... Lol..