Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Iks...finally...better late than never...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I love the ATL shed pic TOO! You know if anyone found the other side? Might still be out there if not! Good luck shedhunting too! I’d be anxious and excited as heck if I were you. Hope they start dropping soon for ya...:pickle:

nis1

I love the ATL shed pic TOO! You know if anyone found the other side? Might still be out there if not! Good luck shedhunting too! I’d be anxious and excited as heck if I were you. Hope they start dropping soon for ya...:pickle:

I’m doubtful that anyone found the other side. The whole place is like a deer playground so it could realistically be anywhere or on neighboring properties.

I forgot to include that at one point last spring I had texted the landowner about coming out and looking for sheds and he said I was more than welcome to come look but there was a buck currently standing in his front yard. He sent me this pic which I believe to be the same deer as well, just before he dropped his antlers. This pic was from April 8 of last year.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I’m doubtful that anyone found the other side. The whole place is like a deer playground so it could realistically be anywhere or on neighboring properties.

I forgot to include that at one point last spring I had texted the landowner about coming out and looking for sheds and he said I was more than welcome to come look but there was a buck currently standing in his front yard. He sent me this pic which I believe to be the same deer as well, just before he dropped his antlers. This pic was from April 8 of last year.

Now THAT is cool!!! It’s really crazy how some areas/pockets of deer drop earlier or later and everything in between. There’s no rhyme or reason for it. I’ve read all kinds of theories but nothing appears rock solid or absolute, IMO. Sure, the overall health if they are effected in a negative way will lead to dropping earlier than they would normally but why do some healthy drop Dec/Jan and others Mar/Apr( like a lot in the SW area:smiley_boos:)?

I’ve heard of several instances where a buck had dropped one side just before Christmas and didn’t throw the other one in over 3 months later?!?! WT?!?!?

I think it’s just simply when the buck was dropped that determines when the growing and shedding process is during the normal bucks life hence we have about a 4 month span of bucks shedding and also starting the growing process as well. The overall health of the deer will certainly alter the shedding timeline but not sure if anything else will.