Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Late season tactics

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Aside from hunting food sources what are some tactics you all recommend for deer hunting the last two weeks of deer season?

Do Ohio deer start dropping racks in January? I remember in High School that I'd see racked bucks all the way through January, but here in PA they start dropping around mid to late January.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I like to hunt the trails closer to their bedding areas to catch em moving in daylight on their way to the fields to feed in the evenings.
They tend to hang back and browse and dont hit the fields till just before or right at dark.
Been seeing alot of deer with all the cold and snow we have been getting and have watched them hang back in the woods alot before dark.
Sucks it's gonna warm back up this weekend though.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Spend three times as much time scouting as you do actually hunting. Gotta find the deer, figure out their late season pattern, and make it count when you decide to make the ambush. Having been through three months of pressure already, the deer will make you look foolish if you're sloppy in your approach.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Jager spoke what I had on my mind. Boarhead has been hitting it hard. I'd take it as gospel. Good luck!