Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

all weather jacket -

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I have had a nice gortex jacket for 3 years and the zipper is getting ready to go on it.

I have a $100 Cabelas card from XMAS. Anyone have recommendations for a nice jacket that is WARM, good pockets, etc.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
U need more than $100 Al if ya want a good cold weather coat.

naw money aint the problem, but since I have $100 to CAbelas I would like to buy something that they carry - I should have stated that.

I actually have the cabbalas wool mittens/gloves, I hunted tonight and my hands were sweating (-15 tonight with windchill). I like that stuff but would like more information from others.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Get the zipper fixed man! Easy and somewhat cheap solution. Just don't have it replaced with a shiny zipper

I am looking into this, my wife grandpa was a tailor for 70 years so if he can't fix it - no one can!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Whatever you get, make sure it's got a windproof liner. That makes all the difference in the world.

Jamie

Ohio
for cold weather gear, windproof (Windstopper, Comformax) is absolute necessity. gore tex blocks wind, but is more expensive and not really necessary as staying dry when it's really cold is not a big problem. I'm not nearly the fan of wool that I used to be. expensive, heavy, does not block wind well, bulky. it has its virtues, but we have better options today.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SITK...48&gclid=CNGdqICkw9gCFZeOxQId_mMACg&gclsrc=ds

Best hunting coat I've ever owned for cold weather hunting. highly recommend the bibs as well. quality of construction, design, and especially the fit of Sitka gear is second to none. buy once, cry once. this type of gear is a lifetime purchase if you know how to take car of your stuff, and after two seasons wearing Sitka Gear, I still kick myself for not buying it sooner. nothing I have or had compares.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
for cold weather gear, windproof (Windstopper, Comformax) is absolute necessity. gore tex blocks wind, but is more expensive and not really necessary as staying dry when it's really cold is not a big problem. I'm not nearly the fan of wool that I used to be. expensive, heavy, does not block wind well, bulky. it has its virtues, but we have better options today.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SITK...48&gclid=CNGdqICkw9gCFZeOxQId_mMACg&gclsrc=ds

Best hunting coat I've ever owned for cold weather hunting. highly recommend the bibs as well. quality of construction, design, and especially the fit of Sitka gear is second to none. buy once, cry once. this type of gear is a lifetime purchase if you know how to take car of your stuff, and after two seasons wearing Sitka Gear, I still kick myself for not buying it sooner. nothing I have or had compares.

thanks Jamie- I am really going to take a look at this stuff. I need to get to a store to touch it, try it on, etc. I got a few that I will stop by in a week or so and check it out. The reviews are great on Cabelas!

teej89

NE PA
sitka jetstream, you'd think it was a light weight jacket but I wore it in -10 degrees in montana this year, it's all about the underlayers.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Best cold weather clothing i have i
Ever owned is the Cabelas Stand Hunter Bibs and Parka.
Also have their woolimate pullover with hood and handwarmer pocket.
I prefer the pullover when bowhunting.
Not a fan of heavy gloves when it's cold,just a hand muff and handwarmers with a light pair of gloves works for me.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
sitka jetstream, you'd think it was a light weight jacket but I wore it in -10 degrees in montana this year, it's all about the underlayers.

Teej so I hunted last Friday an LAYERED up and I wasn't that cold it was -15 with wind chill. I am thinking that if I am going to spend that type of money I want to know its a WARM jacket. I looked at those and they seem very well built - just seem light weight.

have you worn it deer hunting in say 30 degrees and not been as layered? keep you pretty warm?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Best cold weather clothing i have i
Ever owned is the Cabelas Stand Hunter Bibs and Parka.
Also have their woolimate pullover with hood and handwarmer pocket.
I prefer the pullover when bowhunting.
Not a fan of heavy gloves when it's cold,just a hand muff and handwarmers with a light pair of gloves works for me.

thanks bud, I am looking into this now.